MGB: UNT signs three at midterm

Brett Vito

I'm admitting to a fail, but I had to look up what a gray shirt was? I'm still impressed by the T.J. Henson (6-5, 305 lbs) signing. Coach Seth so far seems to know what he is doing. We also needed a Wes Welker/Danny Amendola type athlete to be the slot receiver in this offense. Coach Seth found us one, and I see a new nick-name coming for that guy. I can hear the commentators already.. "A 40 yard touchdown reception by Deion "The Hair" Griffin!" My apologies to former NT DB Evan Roman for taking a nick name he had years ago during the short time he played here. I think he would be okay with letting the past go. "The Hair" was a DB in the 07-08 season. They listed him at 5-10 (I dont think so), and 161lbs. He had a rough year and was picked on by opposing QB's. No ill-will intended Evan, but the memories of you in that UT game still make me cry. Limas Sweed (6-5, 210) screaming at Colt McCoy and pointing across the line at Evan. As soon as Colt nodded yes, Emmitt would say "here comes another touchdown pass". Ah, the memories..   

Regardless of the outcomes, Evan "The Hair" Roman was a Division-I CB and not many guys get to say that. We just need to pass on the nick-name. 

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm admitting to a fail, but I had to look up what a gray shirt was? I'm still impressed by the T.J. Henson (6-5, 305 lbs) signing. Coach Seth so far seems to know what he is doing. We also needed a Wes Welker/Danny Amendola type athlete to be the slot receiver in this offense. Coach Seth found us one, and I see a new nick-name coming for that guy. I can hear the commentators already.. "A 40 yard touchdown reception by Deion "The Hair" Griffin!" My apologies to former NT DB Evan Roman for taking a nick name he had years ago during the short time he played here. I think he would be okay with letting the past go. "The Hair" was a DB in the 07-08 season. They listed him at 5-10 (I dont think so), and 161lbs. He had a rough year and was picked on by opposing QB's. No ill-will intended Evan, but the memories of you in that UT game still make me cry. Limas Sweed (6-5, 210) screaming at Colt McCoy and pointing across the line at Evan. As soon as Colt nodded yes, Emmitt would say "here comes another touchdown pass". Ah, the memories..   

Regardless of the outcomes, Evan "The Hair" Roman was a Division-I CB and not many guys get to say that. We just need to pass on the nick-name. 

GMG

If his back surgery is fully rehabed and he's coming back to compete for a spot, we already have someone like that.....Daniel Khan. But having more than one Wes Welker (or the North Texas version, Casey Fitzgerald) on the team would be great.

• Upvote 1

To his defense, it wasn't Roman or his position coach's idea...to have him stand in front of a 6'5" All Everything receiver who ran like a gazelle with his shoulders turned toward the QB,..giving up the outside all night long.  That would be his DC's fault.

Rick

or whoever was coaching his tecnhinque... which would be his position coach.   I cannot remember who was CB/Secondary coach at that time.

or whoever was coaching his tecnhinque... which would be his position coach.   I cannot remember who was CB/Secondary coach at that time.

I can't think of his name at the moment either,..but my point was it wasn't his fault.  He was overridden by that high school genius Dodge brought here as DC in everything.  During individuals he would interrupt the position coach and make the players do exactly opposite.  The position coach resigned shortly afterward over it...I want to say soon after the Arkansas game?

Edit:..His name is Butch Lacroix.  When he tried to point out to Mendoza problems in his scheme Mendoza demoted him and took over coaching  DB's including techniques and coverages,...so Lacroix resigned.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

To his defense, it wasn't Roman or his position coach's idea...to have him stand in front of a 6'5" All Everything receiver who ran like a gazelle with his shoulders turned toward the QB,..giving up the outside all night long.  That would be his DC's fault.

Rick

Watching Malcolm Kelly literally point at Roman as if to say, "can you believe this shit?  He's still in single coverage against me...throw me the damn ball!!" was one of the lowlights of my North Texas fandom

• Upvote 3

Watching Malcolm Kelly literally point at Roman as if to say, "can you believe this shit?  He's still in single coverage against me...throw me the damn ball!!" was one of the lowlights of my North Texas fandom

I never witnessed the humiliation we suffered against Rice, so that drubbing by OU stands as my pinnacle of embarrassment.

• Upvote 1

Funny, the OU loss is the most embarrassed I've been about a UNT game but it wasn't the game itself. One of our alums was so drunk he was trying start crap with the OU fans. He really embarrassed the group he was with and they eventually had to take him out of the stands.  His mouth was a bigger beat down than the game. 

I never witnessed the humiliation we suffered against Rice, so that drubbing by OU stands as my pinnacle of embarrassment.

Rice was the pinnacle of my Mean Green embarrassment, even more so than Portland State. The Rice game was close to home.  I brought friends and coworkers.  I talked up the Mean Green and still believed that Dodge was going to lead us to the promised land.  I left knowing that not only did we suck but there was no chance Dodge was the guy for the job. 

• Upvote 1

Portland State trumped the Rice game...and that is saying something, as I never expected to go lower than that as a FBS program. Instead, we set the all-time futility mark as a university with a FBS team...by losing to a FCS team...at home...on Homecoming...by 59 points...and that team lost its first FCS playoff game. That is the worst loss in modern (post scholarship limit) college football history..

Rice was awful because they were the SWC dreg for most of 40 years, not to mention a terrible WAC/CUSA team, as well, until that year--us losing to them 77-20 was only because Rice stopped trying in the 4th quarter. If Bailiff had wanted to, we would have lost that game by at least 80. That UNT team was just awful, going 1-11, and it was the worst team I had ever seen us field in my life--until this year. That Dodge 1-11 team would have beaten this year's squad by 2 TDs or more, in my opinion.

We have watched some god-awful football in these parts since 2005. Dickey's 2005 team lost 54-2 to Tulsa, Dodge's 77-20 loss at Rice, and McCarney's loss to FCS Portland State 66-7 are the top three worst losses I have seen us endure since we moved up to Division 1-A in 1995. They are the worst because none of the teams we lost to are even remotely close to being a P5 team. Losing 63-7 to UT, 56-3 to LSU, or 79-10 to OU all came with large checks for us to be the fatted calves being led to the slaughter. The others involved two regional opponents, two private schools in the G5 realm, and two games at home, as well as one at another G5 school in Texas.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

LSU was my worst game experience. Not only did we get the shiznit kicked out of us, but some drunk LSU fan was dumb enough to throw his shoe at us? I kept it and showed it to the security guard, who couldn't have cared less. I threw the shoe in a dumpster outside the gate, so there was a drunk nitwit somewhere that had to limp to his car. Terrible fans and a bad game to boot, but at least I could say I have been there. (scratch that off of the bucket list) Cat-calls by the LSU students all of the way to the car.. I thought John was going to get into a fight. I promised myself no more trips to Death Valley, but that experience made me realize how much fun it would be to have an honest rivalry with someone? Certainly not LSU, but the Speedy Highway Chickens might be getting there soon. 

GMG