Kyler Murray has intent to transfer

TheReal_jayD

Someone needs to tell this kid forget about transferring, just declare for the MLB draft. 

He is not eligible. 

Players at four-year colleges are eligible after completing their junior years, or after their 21st birthdays.  His fastest path to draft eligibility is to transfer to a Juco and play a year there.

• Upvote 1

Not exactly. Baseball only offers a handful of scholarships. Most baseball transfers play immediately. If he is on scholarship for football, he would not be for baseball and could play right away.

I'm only telling you what I actually read from several different news sources related to this specific situation. 

Edited by Eagle1855

What a mess.  There's big boosters on both sides of it as well.

The way I understand it...Sumlin didn't want Murray in the first place because he knew he was too small to take the pounding.  Sumlin was going to get raked over the coals if he didn't sign the nation's #1 dual threat QB that was a sure bet to be the next Johnny Football, despite his size, and seemed to have only offered late after taking tons of heat from fans and boosters,..especially after Murray took an official visit to Texas.  Murray took the visit supposedly to leverage Sumlin into a guarantee that he'd play him instead of redshirting him.  .  

Then he gets to College Station, plays and falls apart..as Sumlin probably suspected he would.  Since then, Murray made it known he was headed to the baseball diamond soon to which the Aggie baseball players took to social media and said they didn't want him if he was gonna bring his attitude into the locker room.  

Finally, last Sunday Murray's dad went to College Station to put his nose in it and is suspected to have tried to push to be made quarterback coach to "straighten things out" to which Sumlin said no.  So now the Murray's are threatening transfer due to not getting their way.

Rick  

Interesting coach is meeting with his Family! Graig James anyone?

• Upvote 1

What a mess.  There's big boosters on both sides of it as well.

The way I understand it...Sumlin didn't want Murray in the first place because he knew he was too small to take the pounding.  Sumlin was going to get raked over the coals if he didn't sign the nation's #1 dual threat QB that was a sure bet to be the next Johnny Football, despite his size, and seemed to have only offered late after taking tons of heat from fans and boosters,..especially after Murray took an official visit to Texas.  Murray took the visit supposedly to leverage Sumlin into a guarantee that he'd play him instead of redshirting him.  .  

Then he gets to College Station, plays and falls apart..as Sumlin probably suspected he would.  Since then, Murray made it known he was headed to the baseball diamond soon to which the Aggie baseball players took to social media and said they didn't want him if he was gonna bring his attitude into the locker room.  

Finally, last Sunday Murray's dad went to College Station to put his nose in it and is suspected to have tried to push to be made quarterback coach to "straighten things out" to which Sumlin said no.  So now the Murray's are threatening transfer due to not getting their way.

Rick  

what a mess is right.  Thanks for sharing that Rick.

That's the cliff notes of the situation I'm hearing from a couple of Aggie season ticket holders.  I think Sumlin wishes he'd had stuck to his guns and not listen to anyone but his own instincts?

Rick

He's already lost the better QB, and now he's about to lose Murray too... so yeah.  Whenever Sumlin gets fired, whoever hires him is going to be very, very happy.

• Upvote 1

What the heck is going on in Aggieland? 

Got too greedy and paid the price. There was another QB they could have gotten who would have been fine with red-shirting and starting after Allen. They would still have both Allen and that guy. Instead they created a QB controversy and had an awful year offensively, mostly because of Spavital but also because of the QB situation. Now they've lost both highly touted recruits and will be left to pick up the pieces. Might be the last straw for Sumlin if he can't get it figured out. If you think this board melts down, go check out TexAgs right now...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Got too greedy and paid the price. There was another QB they could have gotten who would have been fine with red-shirting and starting after Allen. They would still have both Allen and that guy. Instead they created a QB controversy and had an awful year offensively, mostly because of Spavital but also because of the QB situation. Now they've lost both highly touted recruits and will be left to pick up the pieces. Might be the last straw for Sumlin if he can't get it figured out. If you think this board melts down, go check out TexAgs right now...

Also, whoever gets Spavital after he is fired is going to be very, very happy.

because he's a good offensive coach catching alot of heat from really dumb Aggie fans.

With the system they're running, 48th best offense isn't going to cut it. They are never going to have the defense that Alabama does so they have to score points. The counter is that maybe he isn't that great of an offensive coach but he benefited from a year of Johnny Manziel and hasn't been able to do much since. I agree, maybe a G5 would be very happy to have him, but don't see very many P5's knocking on his door. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If I were him, I'd go to Rice. He isn't going to pro in football. Their baseball program speaks for itself. And he'd light up C-USA as a QB in that system. There's also a good chance it's not going to be on the list of restricted destinations (you can bet the entire SEC West will be.)

Granted, I am fully aware it's difficult to go from playing in front of 100,000+ fans to playing in front of 203. 

He is exciting to watch, however he is terribly undersized. Rice is an interesting proposition if he has the grades. I don't know much about the young man but I wish him well. If UNT improves its brand then perhaps we would have a shot at kids like him. In our current state it isn't likely. Baseball or no baseball.

because he's a good offensive coach catching alot of heat from really dumb Aggie fans.

The Aggies just aren't that good. Plain and simple. Never won the Big 12 and are middle of the road SEC West. It is a great school with a motivated fan base, however they have an over-inflated sense of greatness bordering on delusion. Aggie alumni can demand more, but historically they aren't a top tier team.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

He is exciting to watch, however he is terribly undersized. Rice is an interesting proposition if he has the grades. I don't know much about the young man but I wish him well. If UNT improves its brand then perhaps we would have a shot at kids like him. In our current state it isn't likely. Baseball or no baseball.

The Aggies just aren't that good. Plain and simple. Never won the Big 12 and are middle of the road SEC West. It is a great school with a motivated fan base, however they have an over-inflated sense of greatness bordering on delusion. Aggie alumni can demand more, but historically they aren't a top tier team.

This is spot on. They are trying to keep up with the Jones'. Their little scream sessions and towel wavings only take you so far. Their roots are deep in tradition, but their roots are not dominant by any stretch of the imagination. They have poured millions into that athletic program and it will sit right where it is right just how it did in the Big12, middle of the pack. 

Having read the posts in this thread, we don't need Murray. His behavior exhibits signs of his being a locker room cancer. Remember Coach Littrell's emphasis on family, hard work and fun. This guy doesn't seem to have that kind of attitude IMHO.

• Upvote 2

Having read the posts in this thread, we don't need Murray. His behavior exhibits signs of his being a locker room cancer. Remember Coach Littrell's emphasis on family, hard work and fun. This guy doesn't seem to have that kind of attitude IMHO.

exactly, who needs arguably the biggest recruit in Texas High School Football history. Not us!

• Upvote 1

Are you thinking of the longhorns?

I actually think Longhorn fans feel just entitled rather than having an over-inflated sense of greatness.  I think they are well aware that they aren't very good right now, but they think they should be just because, "We're the University of Texas."

• Upvote 1