Kyler Murray has intent to transfer

TheReal_jayD

stop

Not that we would land him in our current state, but if we had a good baseball program, it would help land dual-sport athletes who also play baseball.

A UNT baseball team would not be enough to sway a talent of Kyler's magnitude.

Agree 100%. I'm just saying it's one of many example why it would help.

Why would he go to TCU?  Kenny Hill is already there.  Or do you all think he gives up football?

What's the timeline of things? Does Kyler Murray have to sit out a year? Does he still have a redshirt year?

• Upvote 3

If I were him, I'd go to Rice. He isn't going to pro in football. Their baseball program speaks for itself. And he'd light up C-USA as a QB in that system. There's also a good chance it's not going to be on the list of restricted destinations (you can bet the entire SEC West will be.)

Granted, I am fully aware it's difficult to go from playing in front of 100,000+ fans to playing in front of 203. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, and yes. True freshman this year.

That's what I thought Billy. So him going to TCU is not an irrational thought. Just trying to put that thought out there. So if he goes somewhere for baseball and football, how does that work in regards to eligibility? Can he play baseball right away for 3-4 years and then still have his year or two left of football after sitting out of football for 2 years?

Edited by GMG_Dallas

Can he play baseball right away for 3-4 years and then still have his year or two left of football after sitting out of football for 2 years?

He would have to sit out for both football and baseball.

Which is why he may not end up transferring at all. And if he does, he may go play baseball at a Juco or NAIA and enter the baseball draft in 2017.

That's what I thought Billy. So him going to TCU is not an irrational thought. Just trying to put that thought out there. So if he goes somewhere for baseball and football, how does that work in regards to eligibility? Can he play baseball right away for 3-4 years and then still have his year or two left of football after sitting out of football for 2 years?

I don't know how it works for multi-sport athletes. I would assume he would have to sit out this baseball season.

Which is why he may not end up transferring at all. And if he does, he may go play baseball at a Juco or NAIA and enter the baseball draft in 2017.

I guess it depends on how serious he is about baseball and/or how serious he is about getting an education. Interesting situation nonetheless. 

When Murray was recruited he was told that he could be a two sport athlete. From what I've heard it sounds like Sumlin may have taken that promise back. With a new OC coming in and and Kyle Allen transferring out, it sounds like Sumlin wants Murray to forget about baseball and focus on working with the new OC. Someone needs to tell this kid forget about transferring, just declare for the MLB draft. 

• Upvote 2

Not exactly. Baseball only offers a handful of scholarships. Most baseball transfers play immediately. If he is on scholarship for football, he would not be for baseball and could play right away.

Also, think about when Awasom and Blount played basketball for UNT. They did not count against scholarship bball.

Not exactly. Baseball only offers a handful of scholarships. Most baseball transfers play immediately. If he is on scholarship for football, he would not be for baseball and could play right away.

Also, think about when Awasom and Blount played basketball for UNT. They did not count against scholarship bball.

You're probably correct, but being a walk-on didn't provide Baker Mayfield instant eligibility.

What the heck is going on in Aggieland? 

I don't know, but I'm loving it:)

• Upvote 1