Mike Ekeler - LB Coach Georgia - It's official!

El Paso Eagle

Here are his salaries.

YEARPOSITIONSCHOOLSCHOOL PAYOTHERTOTALMAX BONUS
2015AssistantGeorgia$275,000$0$275,000$165,000
2014AssistantGeorgia$251,600--$251,600$150,000
2013AssistantSouthern California--------
2012AssistantIndiana$306,600--$306,600$0
2011AssistantIndiana$300,000--$300,000$0
2010AssistantNebraska$175,000$0$175,000$71,041
2009AssistantNebraska$151,000$0$151,000$64,042

• Upvote 1

Here are his salaries.

So...GoFundMe?

• Upvote 1

Here are his salaries.

Yikes -- he don't come cheap!  But maybe he will take a cut to move up to DC?

Does this guy have any Texas connections ?  Recruiting in Texas is all about relationships.    I just wondered if this gentleman has any.

I found that being from Texas didn't matter that much for Texas high school coaches.  They pretty much welcomed anyone they thought would be interested in their players.  Relationships between college recruiters and high school coaches come very, very easily.  Many of them recruit the same areas even when they change schools (we had a guy that recruited for the Longhorns one day and then came in a few days later with a Colorado Buffalos shirt).

I also found that high school coaches have little influence on where a kid goes.  The students already have a short list of who they like and mostly make up their minds without input from the coaches they played for..

After a kid took a visit, I usually asked 1) Did you like the coaches? 2) Did you like the school? 3) Did you think you will get a good education there?  If the answer was yes to all 3 questions, then tell them you accept and don't look back.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I found that being from Texas didn't matter that much for Texas high school coaches.  They pretty much welcomed anyone they thought would be interested in their players.  Relationships between college recruiters and high school coaches come very, very easily.  Many of them recruit the same areas even when they change schools (we had a guy that recruited for the Longhorns one day and then came in a few days later with a Colorado Buffalos shirt).

I also found that high school coaches have little influence on where a kid goes.  The students already have a short list of who they like and mostly make up their minds without input from the coaches they played for..

After a kid took a visit, I usually asked 1) Did you like the coaches? 2) Did you like the school? 3) Did you think you will get a good education there?  If the answer was yes to all 3 questions, then tell them you accept and don't look back.

I disagree with most of this post.  Maybe your experiences are an exception.  I agree that you may not have to be born in texas, but there is no doubt that knowing your way around this state is huge in recruiting.  I don't think anyone on here thinks it's impossible to recruit texas without connections, but how can it not be an advantage?  Is it just a myth that all these schools prefer texas ties and even out of state schools want recruiters that can recruit texas?  Is UNT in a position where they can ignore what successful schools are saying and doing?  Can UNT keep ignoring what the competition is doing?  Some on here will also say uniforms are irrelevant.  So why in the world are all these teams doing it if it does not matter? I guess they are idiots with their mythical results and UNT is smart and saving money.  

At some point UNT needs to find out what is working with other schools and copy it.

Maybe the kids don't listen to the coaches at the programs you follow, but it's the total opposite in my area.  They even listen to their little league coaches.  You state they don't listen, then you end the post with you giving the kid advice.  So if you would have said the school sucks, you don't think that would have put some doubt in that kids mind?  

Coaches may not tell a recruit where to go, but they will use a coaches opinion to make their decision.  Coaches definetly control what access recruiters have also.  I have seen high school coaches roll out the red carpet for some and try to push off marginal players for others. It happens.  It's not a myth.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Looking at when this guy was co-defensive coordinator at Indiana, his teams regularly gave up 35+ points. Why is everyone so high on this guy? Just because of the schools he has coached at?

First off he has been a position coach, so what was his production at those positions? He has coached 2 years under Pruitt who is now DC at Alabama which would be a plus. Love his energy! Don't understand why it would not be announced if he is the one. Maybe in his contract he has to give notice?

First off he has been a position coach, so what was his production at those positions? He has coached 2 years under Pruitt who is now DC at Alabama which would be a plus. Love his energy! Don't understand why it would not be announced if he is the one. Maybe in his contract he has to give notice?

That's what I don't understand either.  If he has already informed Georgia that he won't be staying there what is the hold up announcing that he would be joining our great institution?  He looks like he would be a great hire as a DC, I just hope he is our hire as a DC. 

I'm wondering (hoping) Littrell approaches the staff with the perspective that Kevin Wilson learned at Indiana...

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/8/20/5990929/college-football-coaches-programs-bob-stoops-bill-snyder#wilson

"Most people have five offensive assistants, but I have four because I'm one of the five. I put five coaches on defense. I do need that defensive leader to be kind of strong. Sometimes it's your talent -- it's taken us some time to build that. But we've had better talent and depth on offense. If I could go back and do something different, I would have wanted to have had a higher defensive standard."

He tells a story about one of his offensive tenets: if you fumble, you're out of the game for the rest of the half no matter what. ("It's not negotiable.") In 2012 against Navy, because of others' fumbles, Tevin Coleman -- now an IU star, then a green freshman -- was in the game in crunch time with IU nursing a 30-24 lead. He ran the wrong way on a pass route, the Hoosiers were forced to punt, and Navy drove down to score the game-winning touchdown. He explains that he felt it was worth the loss to prove how serious the program is about certain aspects of its performance.

"I set what's tolerated and what's not, and while we've created an offensive culture, we haven't created a defensive culture. If we can get the defense to start helping the offense, think of how good the offense could be. Our defense was young last year. We did make a change, but change doesn't make us better. Getting better makes us better. You don't do something different just to do something different." He pauses. "Of course, if you keep doing things the same way, and you're not getting results, you'll probably get the same results."

• Upvote 1

The kind of honesty you NEVER get from Rick Villarreal. 

If this is the choice, this is another assistant that only has P5 experience and has no idea of the challenges involved in recruiting to and winning at one of the toughest  G5 programs in the country.

Littrell appears to be making the anti-Dodge mistake. Instead of bringing in all high school coaches with no experience at and who had no idea how to win at the FBS level, he appears to be bringing in all P5 coaches with no experience at and who may have no idea how hard it is to win at a low level G5 school. 

But footballl is football, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 19

The kind of honesty you NEVER get from Rick Villarreal. 

If this is the choice, this is another assistant that only has P5 experience and has no idea of the challenges involved in recruiting to and winning at one of the toughest  G5 programs in the country.

Littrell appears to be making the anti-Dodge mistake. Instead of bringing in all high school coaches with no experience at and who had no idea how to win at the FBS level, he appears to be bringing in all P5 coaches with no experience at and who may have no idea how hard it is to win at a low level G5 school. 

But footballl is football, right?

Cosh was dc before and we know how that worked out

if this guy is coming here why has it not been announced?

I'm wondering (hoping) Littrell approaches the staff with the perspective that Kevin Wilson learned at Indiana...

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/8/20/5990929/college-football-coaches-programs-bob-stoops-bill-snyder#wilson

"Most people have five offensive assistants, but I have four because I'm one of the five. I put five coaches on defense. I do need that defensive leader to be kind of strong. Sometimes it's your talent -- it's taken us some time to build that. But we've had better talent and depth on offense. If I could go back and do something different, I would have wanted to have had a higher defensive standard."

He tells a story about one of his offensive tenets: if you fumble, you're out of the game for the rest of the half no matter what. ("It's not negotiable.") In 2012 against Navy, because of others' fumbles, Tevin Coleman -- now an IU star, then a green freshman -- was in the game in crunch time with IU nursing a 30-24 lead. He ran the wrong way on a pass route, the Hoosiers were forced to punt, and Navy drove down to score the game-winning touchdown. He explains that he felt it was worth the loss to prove how serious the program is about certain aspects of its performance.

"I set what's tolerated and what's not, and while we've created an offensive culture, we haven't created a defensive culture. If we can get the defense to start helping the offense, think of how good the offense could be. Our defense was young last year. We did make a change, but change doesn't make us better. Getting better makes us better. You don't do something different just to do something different." He pauses. "Of course, if you keep doing things the same way, and you're not getting results, you'll probably get the same results."

I wonder if that includes forced fumbles.  If you just drop it, that's one thing, but if it's stripped because your opponent's defense is amazing, that's not something you can have much control over.

Energy is overrated. I want a coach who can, you know, coach. I don't care if he has narcolepsy. I don't mind if he needs 5 Red Bulls to get to baseline. I just don't care about anything other than, can he coach a defense that mixes in some blitzes every now and again. Can he recruit the depth we need to be able to rotate fresh legs in and out of the game. Can he disguise his looks enough to not make the opposing coordinators laugh Gatorade out of their noses in the booth. 

All energy gets you is a bad ass drum solo.

200.gif

• Upvote 5

200.gif

I'm laughing so hard right now!  But yeah, Skladany was a killer, and he didn't have the "youthful energy" vibe.  But who cares?  He got it done and got a ton of effort out of his players, so he was definitely doing something right!

• Upvote 3