Nick Starkel Qb Argyle

Wag Tag

5 hours ago, UNT07 said:

Let's hope the possibility of being a 3 to 4 yr starter here is the deciding factor

Yeah, because he obviously can't start at UCLA or A&M, right?

8 hours ago, MeanGreen1984 said:

Starkel will schedule three OVs.  That is, of course, as long as he doesn't commit on one of his first two.  

His first is set for A&M, followed by a trip to UCLA.   His last OV...if he hasn't committed....would be to the Mean Green.  

I would say A&M is the leader.  Mazzone was the one recruiting him at UCLA and Starkel fits his system.  

Here's UNT's best hope

1- Starkel isn't comfortable with Tate Martell coming in behind him at A&M

2- The turmoil at A&M makes Starkel wonder how long Sumlin and co. Will be there

3- Starkel doesn't click with the new OC at UCLA the way he did with Mazzone

4- UCLA isn't as sold on Nick with Mazzone now gone 

If the last OV weekend comes around and Starkel hasn't committed to A&M or UCLA then UNT will have a real punchers chance. 

We've got to get him connected with Harrell face-to-face before he goes on these trips.  That's when/why we'll have a puncher's chance.

6 hours ago, UNT07 said:

Let's hope the possibility of being a 3 to 4 yr starter here is the deciding factor

Thing is, there's a legitimate possibility of that being the case at A&M and UCLA. With Rosen likely to declare for the draft after his junior year, Starkel will have an open competition heading into his RS Sophomore year with a good shot at being a 3-year starter.

And at A&M he can redshirt next year while Trevor Knight starts. Then he'll have a great shot at winning the job heading into 2017 as a RS Freshman, having just Jake Hubenak and a 5'10" true freshman in Tate Martell to compete against at that point.

Obviously he's much more of a shoe-in to start by 2017 here, but all three schools present good early-playing time opportunities.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Thing is, there's a legitimate possibility of that being the case at A&M and UCLA. With Rosen likely to declare for the draft after his junior year, Starkel will have an open competition heading into his RS Sophomore year with a good shot at being a 3-year starter.

And at A&M he can redshirt next year while Trevor Knight starts. Then he'll have a great shot at winning the job heading into 2017 as a RS Freshman, having just Jake Hubenak and a 5'10" true freshman in Tate Martell to compete against at that point.

Obviously he's much more of a shoe-in to start by 2017 here, but all three schools present good early-playing time opportunities.

If Kevin Sumlin is the the head coach at ATM he will never start. Keven Sumlin has to have a gimmicky athlete back there running his offense and using improvisation. Nick Starkel doesn't provide that for him. ATM will get someone in there that does.  As for UCLA, I could see that. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

If Kevin Sumlin is the the head coach at ATM he will never start. Keven Sumlin has to have a gimmicky athlete back there running his offense and using improvisation. Nick Starkel doesn't provide that for him. ATM will get someone in there that does.  As for UCLA, I could see that. 

Not true. Case Keenum was not that, Kenny Hill isn't, and neither is Kyle Allen. Allen would probably still be their starter had Sumlin not signed Kevin and Kyler Murray. Murray and Manziel were like that, but the other Sumlin QBs haven't been improvisers, and really haven't even been dual-threat types.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Not true. Case Keenum was not that, Kenny Hill isn't, and neither is Kyle Allen. Allen would probably still be their starter had Sumlin not signed Kevin and Kyler Murray. Murray and Manziel were like that, but the other Sumlin QBs haven't been improvisers, and really haven't even been dual-threat types.

I think what Ben is trying to say is the best season Sumblin has put together at A&M was under Manziel. And Manziel and Starkel are completely different QBs

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I think what Ben is trying to say is the best season Sumblin has put together at A&M was under Manziel. And Manziel and Starkel are completely different QBs

That's a true statement, but that's not what Ben was saying.

He said Starkel will never start at A&M because Sumlin needs an athlete who improvises at QB. Sumlin is giving this kid a chance to be the only QB in this class, with the QBs from the prior thee classes all having transferred out. It's obvious Sumlin wants him in a key spot, and not just to never give him a chance to play because he isn't a Manziel-type QB. 

41 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He said Starkel will never start at A&M because Sumlin needs an athlete who improvises at QB. Sumlin is giving this kid a chance to be the only QB in this class, with the QBs from the prior thee classes all having transferred out. It's obvious Sumlin wants him in a key spot, and not just to never give him a chance to play because he isn't a Manziel-type QB. 

No one really ever knows what Ben or UNT90 is trying to say, we just speculate

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Withers940 said:

No one really ever knows what Ben or UNT90 is trying to say, we just speculate

RV sucks. Clear enough? 

Also, it looks like this is setting up as good as possible for UNT. As you can see on the 24/7 link below, this kid is visiting A@M first on the weekend of Jan 15, UCLA second the weekend of Jan 22, and UNT last the weekend on Jan 29 shortly before signing day. It gives UNT a chance to make a last minute push.

Now that's assuming he isn't simply using UNT as a fall back, and once he decides btwn UCLA and A&M he simply cancels the visit. Just get him to campus, make your hard pitch and wish for the best. 

http://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Starkel-41609

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

RV sucks. Clear enough? 

Also, it looks like this is setting up as good as possible for UNT. As you can see on the 24/7 link below, this kid is visiting A@M first on the weekend of Jan 15, UCLA second the weekend of Jan 22, and UNT last the weekend on Jan 29 shortly before signing day. It gives UNT a chance to make a last minute push.

Now that's assuming he isn't simply using UNT as a fall back, and once he decides btwn UCLA and A&M he simply cancels the visit. Just get him to campus, make your hard pitch and wish for the best. 

http://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Starkel-41609

I think we have to go after someone else as well. Debiase, someone else, we need to have someone committed already by the time this kid makes his announcement. That is if he is still uncommitted come his decision day of Feb 2nd.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BillySee58 said:

I think we have to go after someone else as well. Debiase, someone else, we need to have someone committed already by the time this kid makes his announcement. That is if he is still uncommitted come his decision day of Feb 2nd.

No doubt. I'd be ok with 3 QB signings this class and adding Morris.

It will be interesting to check the roster next week to see what current QBs have left the program. 

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

That was what I was saying. His system worked in the G5. His system worked in the P5 with a improviser at QB. Everything in between has been at the very best mediocre. Kevin Sumlin is a fired coach walking unless he has a Manziel Jr walking around campus. He doesn't. He has Trevor Knight now walking around campus. Typical Trevor Knight play will get Kevin Sumlin fired. He might as well enjoy his final season in College Station. He'll be kicking rocks at seasons end and that's almost guaranteed. ATM alum are delusional. They think they are Alabama and expect those type of results even though they have never really had those results. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

That was what I was saying. His system worked in the G5. His system worked in the P5 with a improviser at QB. Everything in between has been at the very best mediocre. Kevin Sumlin is a fired coach walking unless he has a Manziel Jr walking around campus. He doesn't. He has Trevor Knight now walking around campus. Typical Trevor Knight play will get Kevin Sumlin fired. He might as well enjoy his final season in College Station. He'll be kicking rocks at seasons end and that's almost guaranteed. ATM alum are delusional. They think they are Alabama and expect those type of results even though they have never really had those results. 

What you said was he would never play under Sumlin because he likes improvisers. That's what you said. You did not say his offense only thrives with improvisers. You said "If Kevin Sumlin is the head coach at ATM he will never start." You are seriously the only person who will argue that you said something else that is literally on the same page of the thread.

This kid has a chance to be the only QB in the class for A&M. After he redshirts the only scholarship QB older than him will be Jake Hubenak. Whether Sumlin is gone or not, that's a very good situation to be in. And again, regardless of what you think of results, Sumlin has shown that he does play more traditional pocket passer QBs, so if he doesn't play under Sumlin it'll be because someone beat him out. He could go after a dual-threat QB but he is choosing to go after Starkel.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, H-towngreen said:

He would never start at A&M because of Knight and Martell

Next year RS behind Knight... Probably.

Soph year, it would be highly probable he starts.  He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would be scared of Martell either.  

What Littrell/Harrell have to convince him of is a chance to have a Paxton Lynch-like career, re: 1st round NFL prospect, if he decides to come here.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

What you said was he would never play under Sumlin because he likes improvisers. That's what you said. You did not say his offense only thrives with improvisers. You said "If Kevin Sumlin is the head coach at ATM he will never start." You are seriously the only person who will argue that you said something else that is literally on the same page of the thread.

This kid has a chance to be the only QB in the class for A&M. After he redshirts the only scholarship QB older than him will be Jake Hubenak. Whether Sumlin is gone or not, that's a very good situation to be in. And again, regardless of what you think of results, Sumlin has shown that he does play more traditional pocket passer QBs, so if he doesn't play under Sumlin it'll be because someone beat him out. He could go after a dual-threat QB but he is choosing to go after Starkel.

1. I'll argue whatever I want. 

2. Kevin Sumlin will not be with ATM after the 2016 season. 

3. Sumlin has had 2 real runs of success. One was with an NFL caliber QB playing in a G5 conference and the other was a RS frosh running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Those were his runs. Call it what you want. 

4. Sumlin is done after 2016 and that means the OC will be too. 

5. I'll argue whatever I want. 

• Downvote 7

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

1. I'll argue whatever I want. 

2. Kevin Sumlin will not be with ATM after the 2016 season. 

3. Sumlin has had 2 real runs of success. One was with an NFL caliber QB playing in a G5 conference and the other was a RS frosh running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Those were his runs. Call it what you want. 

4. Sumlin is done after 2016 and that means the OC will be too. 

5. I'll argue whatever I want. 

And you're not the typical Millenial? Got it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I still think you go after Bowman Sells! Houston has another Qb commit this class and has Kyler coming in the following year! 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All boils down to this:

UCLA: Gets to play for a P5 on the west coast(word is this is where he wants to be). May have to ride the pine for a while.

Texas A&M: Gets to play in the SEC in a spread scheme for a coach he liked at UCLA. May have to ride the pine.

Yale: FCS school at a lower level of competition. One of the finest educations money can buy which is important because his parents will indeed be paying.

UNT: Plays in a very QB friendly offense close to home with a chance at very early playing time.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

All boils down to this:

UCLA: Gets to play for a P5 on the west coast(word is this is where he wants to be). May have to ride the pine for a while.

Texas A&M: Gets to play in the SEC in a spread scheme for a coach he liked at UCLA. May have to ride the pine.

Yale: FCS school at a lower level of competition. One of the finest educations money can buy which is important because his parents will indeed be paying.

UNT: Plays in a very QB friendly offense close to home with a chance at very early playing time.

Honestly, If I were a 18 year old kid from Argyle and these were my choices, I'd go with UCLA. Get to live in LA for 4 years which is a far cry from what he's used to and a hell of a college experience. That school is pretty expensive, especially for out of state + room & board in LA. He's getting his money's worth with the scholarship. Gets a chance to compete to be the QB at a solid football school on top of all that. Sumlin may not be at A&M after next year, and playing for a former NFL coach would be nice. 

• Upvote 1