Nick Starkel Qb Argyle

Wag Tag

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh, wow. He's one of those guys...antics like this makes me hope he goes elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, cdizzle86 said:

Agree. It would be different if he was a top 100 recruit in the nation, but he's not even nationally ranked.

In other news...I've narrowed down my destination for lunch tomorrow down to 4 places. Jimmy johns, chipotle, chick fil a, and whataburger. 

I don't mind it at all, it's a 17/18 year old kid having a little fun of a once in a lifetime event. I for one am hoping we are listed 1st on the list.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh, wow. He's one of those guys...antics like this makes me hope he goes elsewhere. 

Stop. If he wants to make a top 4 then so be it. He earned that right by being much better at sports than any of us. This is part of the game now. You always say you want UNT to be big time.. This is what happens all the time when going after good or big time recruits. 

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Stop. If he wants to make a top 4 then so be it. He earned that right by being much better at sports than any of us. This is part of the game now. You always say you want UNT to be big time.. This is what happens all the time when going after good or big time recruits. 

This part of the game can be removed. A 17 yr old zit faced kid isn't dangling carrots over my head regardless of what his talent is. He can pack his bags and getta matching right out of Denton county as far as I'm concerned. 

• Downvote 11

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

This part of the game can be removed. A 17 yr old zit faced kid isn't dangling carrots over my head regardless of what his talent is. He can pack his bags and getta matching right out of Denton county as far as I'm concerned. 

That makes little sense. As if we are so rich in talent we turn our nose up at kids because they have a little fun with the whole recruiting game? Kids have been doing it for years and it's how it is. Another reason I'm excited to have a youthful staff who understands how the kids operate now. 

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Good grief.... 

40 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Does the morris transfer affect starkel at all? or kincade?

Morris's probably not, kin aide maybe. Starker wants to go to the west coast. I've talked with his coach several times and each time he reiterated that point. 

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't like it either, but I don't get how you can be self-righteous about a kid listing his top 4 schools yet suggest committing blatant recruiting violations to get these recruits in another thread. They're high school kids with thousands of random people they've never met following them on Twitter, clinging to every word they post to see where they're going to school. 

If we sign more kids who do that, I'll probably roll my eyes but at least that means we're getting kids with other options.

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

So if 5-star OL Gregory Little from Allen came out and said I've re-opened my recruiting to play closer to home and narrowed it down to Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU, and UNT you'd tell him no thanks? Just checking.

• Upvote 6

48 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

So if 5-star OL Gregory Little from Allen came out and said I've re-opened my recruiting to play closer to home and narrowed it down to Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU, and UNT you'd tell him no thanks? Just checking.

Of course I wouldn't say no. But that's not quite the same. He's not delivering himself as a diva by doing it that way. He had a change a heart for whatever reason and is deciding what is in his best interest. Starkel is doing the same thing, but he's putting himself out there as a diva by the way he is doing it. So, no thanks. 

• Downvote 6

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I don't like it either, but I don't get how you can be self-righteous about a kid listing his top 4 schools yet suggest committing blatant recruiting violations to get these recruits in another thread. They're high school kids with thousands of random people they've never met following them on Twitter, clinging to every word they post to see where they're going to school. 

If we sign more kids who do that, I'll probably roll my eyes but at least that means we're getting kids with other options.

Because Ben Gooding. 

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Because Ben Gooding. 

Duh. 

But I don't cling onto any word they say. That's the point of the problem. Who cares. My suggestions of committing recruiting violations are 100% joke. I would be extremely disappointed if we were doing that. I mean, we're UNT after all. Why risk violations so we can springboard ourselves to a 6-6 record? No thanks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Of course I wouldn't say no. But that's not quite the same. He's not delivering himself as a diva by doing it that way. He had a change a heart for whatever reason and is deciding what is in his best interest. Starkel is doing the same thing, but he's putting himself out there as a diva by the way he is doing it. So, no thanks. 

Ok then. What if he handled his the exact same was Starkel did. Would you turn down a 5 star recruit?

If I was was top recruit I would be doing all the antics.. they're no harm  AT ALL. They are kids. I don't see how it matters what so ever if they have top 4, 10, 50 for that matter. If anything when he gives his top 4 and we aren't on it we move on and use resources elsewhere. Again bring in talent and figure out the rest in the spring. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Listen, does it matter what I would do? I will tell you that if I was on the recruiting trail antics like that would rub me the wrong way. No one gives a shit what your top 4 are. Keep it close to the vest, discuss it with your family, ponder on it and make a firm verbal commitment to a university. Those are the kind of recruits that I would want. Not the ones that have hats, gloves, cleats, hair dyed, and every other dumb prop in front of them during signing day. I sure as hell don't care about reading some little social media insert from a kid narrowing down his options. Narrow them down in the confines of your home with your family and just know that your options are narrowed down and you will listen a little closer to those recruiters until a final decision is made. 

Just curious, do you have a lawn at your house?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Entertainment I guess. Although, he and a few "we should run the triple option/hired Willie Fritz" broken records have become so repetitive on here I've considered it. 

Those guys sometimes provide actual useful insight or information.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1