Developing: One dead after shots fired on Fry Street

A man carrying an axe and breaking car windows was shot and killed at about 1 a.m. Sunday by a UNT police officer. University officials said the man “advanced on” the officer, resulting in the man’s death.

The man, whose name has not yet been released, died at an unnamed area hospital about half an hour from the initial call, which was originally made to Denton police, but was picked up by UNT police, because the corner for Fry and Oak streets is within its jurisdiction.

UNT spokeswoman Margarita Venegas said the UNT police, along with the Texas Rangers, are involved in the investigation, though Denton police responded to the crime scene. Venegas did not indulge speculation on how many shots were fired, or how close the man was to the officer when the shots began.

When the rain began to pour early Sunday morning, police were still working the crime scene on the corner of Fry and Oak streets. Some bargoers leaving the Fry Street area ran through the rain to find police tape and officers telling them their cars may not be moved for hours, as investigators recover details.

“It could be hours,” one officer said. Police were seen in the area as late as 4 a.m.

Next to her roommate along Oak Street stood Ashley Jones, a UNT student who said she knew the man who police are said to have killed. She said the suspect was a UNT student, but that has not been confirmed by the university.

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Sad story. Has there ever been a police shooting by UNT's campus cops? I can't recall one.

I doubt it. Let's hope people on here wait for all the information before jumping to the usual conclusions. 

This isn't a national issue. What you say on here could affect both the family of the deceased and the family of the police officer. 

Shut it until the investigation is complete and some facts are released.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I doubt it. Let's hope people on here wait for all the information before jumping to the usual conclusions. 

This isn't a national issue. What you say on here could affect both the family of the deceased and the family of the police officer. 

Shut it until the investigation is complete and some facts are released.

We should probably fire RV...

*this message is in no way in support of RV...sometimes people get confused (UNT90)

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

My guess is that toxicology results will show some "friend" gave him something to enhance that Shiner high. This is a damned shame and I feel sorry for the young man, his friends and relatives, and the officer who had to make the decision. The bottom line is...don't DO shit like that and comply with all commands from a police officer.

• Upvote 3

What a foolish response.

Rick

How so? It's a similar scenario.

Yes, because it's always a good idea tactically to get close to an asshole with a big ass blade.

And they're able to bring him down alive with shields rather than dead with bullets. I really don't see how ya'll find the latter outcome to be preferable.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

And they're able to bring him down alive with shields rather than dead with bullets. I really don't see how ya'll find the latter outcome to be preferable.

What outcome would that be? The officer going home to his family and the innocent civilians on Fry Street not being in danger?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2