Tulsa Co-OC Sterlin Gilbert turns down Texas OC Job

NTAlum09

UT is a train wreck right now

If I were the players, I would take this as a shot across the bow.  The players need to look at themselves at UT.  No one wants to come coach you.  You have everything at your disposal: a players' coach, facilities out the wazzoo, the brand... it's time to put in work, you're not in high school anymore.

• Upvote 4

Mack mailing in the last couple years of recruitment at Texas is as much to blame for the current predicament as the position coaches hired by the current head coach. 

The writing's on the wall. And it says "Tom Herman in 2017."

Unless Charlie can somehow pull another rabbit out of the hat next season at the Cotton Bowl... and get lucky against Baylor's 3rd-string QB again.

• Upvote 1

According to ESPN, "Texas brass will fly to Tulsa to woo OC Gilbert."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14345444/texas-officials-try-woo-sterlin-gilbert-longhorns-coach-charlie-strong-receives-words-support

^ is why no one likes Texas. I hope he looks them right in the eyes and tells them all to piss off. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

According to r/cfb, where Texas fans are in total meltdown, Strong and Gilbert had a handshake deal, but the Board of Regents shot it down and sent Gilbert a revised contract with reduced terms to which he said thanks but no thanks.  Now the pres. is trying to patch it all up.  I'm enjoying this soap opera something fierce.

• Upvote 4

A story on the internet this morning (Saturday) says that this trip was successful and that Coach Gilbert is heading for Austin.   If he does not right that ship he will be on the market again this time next year.

I don't see how he will. Texas is a Texas problem. Plus, I haven't (nor will I) looked much into this guy but has he even called plays full time for a program. I think this might be a class case of egotistical tunnel vision on UT's part. But, good. I hope they rot. 

Texas gets its man. Well, it's second man, anyway:

Haha, yea, only took a plane full of brass. Don't forget the 3yr $850k per year contract and the required 3yr $550k per year contract for the o-line coach he is bringing. Gonna cost UT a couple milllion to buy these 2 out next year along with the several million they'll have to pay Strong to go away. Chimp Brown is a clown and a SMUg d-bag alumnus.