UTEP and Rice flirting with Mountain West

Coach Bill Lewis

Very true.   Although, I don't know how much of the DFW market Rice had.   UTEP bringing a buddy over to the MWC would be good for them.  UTEP bringing 2 buddies over would be even better.   It would really just be up to the MWC.I'm sure every school in the MWC would die to get the Texas schools on their schedules as AWAY games so they can recruit here... especially in the DFW/Houston areas.

I'd love to head west with UTEP and Rice. I think we'd be an easier sell if basketball hadn't gone to hell.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Very true.   Although, I don't know how much of the DFW market Rice had.  

Not really about having the market, so much as having the ability for fans, alums, and donors in DFW and OKC to be able to easily attend games. I know that's a large reason that UTEP gave in the past about why they want to remain in CUSA.

Yeah, but that's a benefit to the MWC, not to Rice. If Rice were to go to the MWC with UTEP, they lose DFW/OKC and San Antonio, cheap regional travel, and a far better and closer baseball conference. The one sport they're actually good at. So what's the incentive for them to move other than forum posters who perceive the MWC as better?

I would guess their admin is basing it on more than the whims of a bunch of message board posters, but hey, who knows. It's reasonable to assume hanging out with UNC Charlotte and Old Dominion and the F_U's in Florida isn't ideal an ideal scenario for Rice brass. Same for the handful of directional regional U's that have been added along the way. 

I would guess their admin is basing it on more than the whims of a bunch of message board posters, but hey, who knows. It's reasonable to assume hanging out with UNC Charlotte and Old Dominion and the F_U's in Florida isn't ideal an ideal scenario for Rice brass. Same for the handful of directional regional U's that have been added along the way. 

There's been no mention of Rice and UTEP contacting the MWC. The topic of the thread is incorrect.

• Upvote 2