*2007Texas TechBig 12JRQB1351271371.857058.08.54814157.3
*2008Texas TechBig 12SRQB1344262670.651118.29.0459160.0

Cumbie stats

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
CareerTexas Tech    46170465.551167.37.03319136.6
*2002Texas TechBig 12SOQB25683.3345.75.700130.9
*2003Texas TechBig 12JRQB6355662.53406.15.611115.8
*2004Texas TechBig 12SRQB1242164265.647427.47.13218138.5

not to mention Graham was a little more successful running the offense for center..

He was, but had alot more playing time than Cumbie did

• Upvote 1

you coming up for Army again? 

you better believe it. I've got a crew coming next year. There's a ferry that goes from Pier 11 in Lower Manhattan straight up the Hudson on game days. We'll have to get the band together again.

Edited by Graham
  • Upvote 1

Dodge installed a similar system and there is no question we were able to move the ball around.  Our biggest problem was the defense not being able to stop anyone.  If we can hire a solid DC we should be competitive quickly.

How are they similar?  All I see are two completely different spread systems.

I've only seen Leach's offense a handful of times, so this was a sincere question.  I thought Dodge's was very different.

Like the hire. It's obvious Littrell is going to gear NT to run a very close Leach air raid attack. What better way to teach this offense than to hire straight up Texas Tech players who played under Leach and are now coaches?

I think the answer below sums up what he is going to try to do. The passing game will look very similar to the Leach Air Raid attack. Same route concepts. But he is going to tweak the offense to fit the personnel. Look at what Holgorsen did this year with his run attack. Dont just expect us to throw it 60 times a game. I think Littrell will tweak his offense to be a marriage of all the offensive minds he has been under. Expect to see a combination of Leach, Wilson, and Fedora in Littrells offense. 

How would you describe your offensive philosophy?

SL: I played under Mike Leach at Oklahoma in 1999, so a lot of it comes from that "Air Raid" background. But the biggest thing in coaching is you have to adjust. We've had to adjust. Sonny Dykes had to adjust when he first came to Arizona, and then I came in and we had Rob Gronkowski, so we used a little bit more tight end, play-action underneath. And then last year, we didn't have as many tight ends, so we were more spread. You have to be a teacher and you have to understand what your strengths and weaknesses are as an offense and each individual player, and hopefully build something great around them. People look at me, coming from a huge passing background, but you look at Dana Holgorsen, who's one of my best friends at West Virginia. He's tweaked it his way, I've kind of tweaked it my way. And the tweaks you see are based upon what we have as personnel, but at the same time getting those guys in the best situations to compete.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

How would you describe your offensive philosophy?

SL: I played under Mike Leach at Oklahoma in 1999, so a lot of it comes from that "Air Raid" background. But the biggest thing in coaching is you have to adjust...You have to be a teacher and you have to understand what your strengths and weaknesses are as an offense and each individual player, and hopefully build something great around them. People look at me, coming from a huge passing background, but you look at Dana Holgorsen, who's one of my best friends at West Virginia. He's tweaked it his way, I've kind of tweaked it my way. And the tweaks you see are based upon what we have as personnel, but at the same time getting those guys in the best situations to compete.

These comments are the kind that make me believe Littrell will be more successful here than McCarney.  It never seemed like the last regime had this type of outlook.  Mac had his system and was going to run it whether he had the players for it or not.  If Littrell is able to tweak his system to best fit the personnel we currently have on the roster, I think a turnaround will happen sooner than many think. 

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 2

These comments are the kind that make me believe Littrell will be more successful here than McCarney.  It never seemed like the last regime had this type of outlook.  Mac had his system and was going to run it whether he had the players for it or not.  If Littrell is able to tweak his system to best fit the personnel we currently have on the roster, I think a turnaround will happen sooner than many think. 

Exactly.  
I expect to see alot of Ivery and Wilson on the field at the same time next year, since they're both playmakers on the roster we have right now.   And, outside of Harris, we didn't have much at WR.  At least, not much we could see because the QBs couldn't get them the ball much of the time.   I think Goree is the real deal.  He just needs to get in the right system.  I think the Air Raid will do wonders for him, in particular, next season.
Let Littrell recruit some other guys and we may see more empty backfields because he hauls in some very nice WRs.  Or, 2 TE formations if he finds some nice TEs.  The spread is adaptable to the players you have.  Look at what he did at Indiana in 2012 VS 2013 when Tevin Coleman emerged.  I think he's proven he can tailor his system to get the ball into his playmakers' hands, no matter where they are.

• Upvote 2

I agree.  Littrell has stated very clearly he will adjust the system to his talent pool.

• 4 weeks later...