In podcast #156 Evan, Harry, and Ashton talk about the hiring of new head football coach Seth LIttrell and the excitement it has generated for the fanbase.  UNT Athletic Director Rick Villarreal joins the conversation and offers his thoughts on Littrell as well as other items of interest.  Brandon Berens joins us from his the UNT campus where he gives us a student perspective on the challenges a student faces during finals.  Ashton shares insight from his day spent with Coach Littrell as well as some thoughts on the future of his Beyond the Green series.

Click here for the Audio Link to Barbershop Podcast #156

Edited by Harry

I love the podcasts. They are often fun.  There are a few things I would cut out from it as I am not sure it really adds to the show.  But that is just some unsolicited feedback from me....

I always enjoy what you guys do for everyone. Thank you!

The fact he's STILL trying to defend the Dodge and McCarney hires makes me want to puke.

White wash...

• Upvote 3

So within the what I am sure incoherence, what was said? 

The audio is around the 30 minute mark. It was uncomfortable to listen to him talk(or not talk) about attendance. Lots of uhhhhs, stuttering, and ya knows. Generally rambling. Talked about Littrell helping attendance. Just alot of talking in circles. The only substance was basically saying "We won in 2013 and had flyers at the bowl game. The fans didn't show up." RV was, in no way, prepared for that kind of question. Probably thought the podcast was gonna be bubblegum, unicorns, and talk about Littrell.

Also, It also sounded like either he or the board is losing their patience with Benford. I thought his tone was much more somber about TB's future than it has been.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 2

The audio is around the 30 minute mark. It was uncomfortable to listen to him talk(or not talk) about attendance. Lots of uhhhhs, stuttering, and ya knows. Generally rambling. Talked about Littrell helping attendance. Just alot of talking in circles. The only substance was basically saying "We won in 2013 and had flyers at the bowl game. The fans didn't show up." RV was, in no way, prepared for that kind of question. Probably though the podcast was gonna be bubblegum, unicorns, and talk about Littrell.

Also, It also sounded like either he or the board is losing their patience with Benford. I thought his tone was much more somber about TB's future than it has been.

Yes, we did win in 2013. We also lost the 8 years leading up to that year and the 2 years following 2013. 2013 is our record attendance. It takes more than 1 year of winning to establish home attendance consistency. Surely, he knows that. Surely he knows that we set the record for attendance in 2013, yet keeps saying the same diatribe of "we won but no one came to watch" when one of our very own GMG posters just this morning posted a statistical analysis that winning is a direct correlation to game attendance. RV is just so lost. Smastrek, for the love of God do something about him!

• Upvote 1

Listening to RV blabber like an idiot just kills me. Anyone still wonder way we are in the shape we are it starts with leadership like RV's. Why why why does RV still have a job with the University? 

Someone said the other day to me RV is always the skunk in the room, and he leaves an odor where ever he goes. I think that is very true.

After listening some of his BS during the podcast I felt nauseous again and now I not as excited, at least for the moment, about Littrell.

Edited by KingDL1

What a confidence builder! If we were hiring a new AD and this was an answer he gave in a job interview, he'd never get the job.

UNT desperately needs new energy and optimism in the AD position. If we wait too long to make this change, we're hanging an albatross around Littrell's neck.

The hug in the video looks a bit awkward and contrived. 

They better clean the whole house out when they make the change too, hopefully by the New Year. I think RV thinks this hire is going to save his ass. But I have news for him that Ship has long since sailed.

I thought RV was Fatigued and Frustrated because he was trying to look responsible for a hire he had absolutely nothing to do with.

Edited by KingDL1

I go back to the season in 2014, 2013-14 we win the bowl game and afterwards we've got ticket stuff there at the bowl game and all those kind of things and we see just a blip on the radar in attendance. And that's got to stop. I know people get frustrated and I know people want to see wins and I'm not putting that on anybody. At some point in time I'm not sure what it's going to take for people to respond. 

This really irritates me. I'm at my office in LA 5-6 times every year during basketball season, but rarely want to make the drive to downtown. One time, several years ago, I bought tickets to see the Lakers @ Clippers. One time.

They send me emails at least once a week: "Full Court Press: WIn streak on the line and more", "Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals", "Lock in your seats for the best match-ups of the season". How many email addresses or phone numbers did the AD get from tickets sold and working the crowd? Their job is to sell, sell, sell. You're not going to sell a damn thing without leads. The fact that they had a huge opportunity to get people out to Apogee for the 2014 season and didn't isn't on the fans, it's on the AD and the poor salesmanship. 

It's honestly always the story with this AD. "We built it, but they don't come." No shit. Get you and/or your people off their asses and go out and generate sales. Yes, it's much easier if you have an amazing, nationally ranked product like he alludes to in his next thought. You can't sit there and let that be your only driver. I'm scared to go to a TCU game, because I feel like I'd be getting emails and calls all the time to become a season ticket holder, the same way the Clippers pursue new fans.

• Upvote 7

I don't like how it seems that he likes to make everyone share in the responsibility of lack of attendance... as if we are obligated to be at the UNT events.  We aren't obligated... And one season (slightly above average- not even winning the division or conference) doesn't make for increased attendance. We are tired of the poor product on the field.  This stuff has gone on too damn long. For him to say, I don't have a plan or I don't know what to do is pretty damn frustrating.

Simply put... we could find a bunch of better AD's out there.

• Upvote 4

• Harry pinned this topic

RV, is up to his ears in DOG CRAP!!! Uh uh uh yea know me and my staff uh we will uh yea know HOD bowl, uh yea know we built it they should uh yea know come out. We uh well Mac did this and dodge did that and uh yea know no excuses uh. I botched the club level seats uh well ya know everyone else raises club seats uh BLAH. It's so hard to listen to him. I'm so excited about Littrell, but this guy (RV) ROUGH!! 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The first tough question RV got in the podcast was at the 29:17 mark. He was asked about low attendance in 2015 and what would be done to address it.

RV immediately got defensive and gave this response:

At this point he finally got around to answering the question on what is being done to improve attendance:

I said after the Monday presser welcoming Littrell that RV sounded fatigued and defeated. This furthers that impression. A new football coach has just been hired, and when RV is asked about how he'll improve attendance, he says "I'm not sure exactly" and "I'm not sure what it's going to take for people to respond."

What a confidence builder! If we were hiring a new AD and this was an answer he gave in a job interview, he'd never get the job.

UNT desperately needs new energy and optimism in the AD position. If we wait too long to make this change, we're hanging an albatross around Littrell's neck.

Great post. And just wow. I wasn't going to listen to this, but you have suckered me in.

I will say the reason I wasn't going to listen is that hard questions are never asked of RV on this thing. And I get why. He wouldn't do them if Harry did ask those questions, plus Harry would certainly lose additional access he needs for this site. But at the same time, the interviews therefore hold little value and serve as nothing more than a platform for RV to talk about his own greatness. But it appears at least one tough question was asked, so I'll listen.

Damn it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

After listening to that load of horse sh&£, a couple of observations.

He wants to raise prices on club seat holders after a 1-11, 5 home game season and says that we need more season ticket holders. I guess he doesn't get that scheduling a crappy FCS school every year hurts attendance and makes people not want to come to games.

Its stunning the lack of personal accountability he takes for the mess HE created. Just stunning.

He is perplexed how Dickey could recruit to worse facilities yet everyone else subsequent has failed. He seems not to get that HE is the constant in that equation. Denial is the strongest human emotion. 

I agree with Kingdl. He wanted someone else and got overruled. Now he is forced to accept the hire. That's why that hug seemed a bit contrived. Don't think Littrell doesn't know RV wanted Meacham.

There is so much else, but it gives me tired head. 

Damn you Rcade and your transcription!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

After listening to that load of horse sh&£, a couple of observations.

He wants to raise prices on club seat holders after a 1-11, 5 home game season and says that we need more season ticket holders. I guess he doesn't get that scheduling a crappy FCS school every year hurts attendance and makes people not want to come to games.

Its stunning the lack of personal accountability he takes for the mess HE created. Just stunning.

He is perplexed how Dickey could recruit to worse facilities yet everyone else subsequent has failed. He seems not to get that HE is the constant in that equation. Denial is the strongest human emotion. 

I agree with Kingdl. He wanted someone else and got overruled. Now he is forced to accept the hire. That's why that hug seemed a bit contrived. Don't think Littrell doesn't know RV wanted Meacham.

There is so much else, but it gives me tired head. 

Damn you Rcade and your transcription!

I just listened to it too. He said he was interviewing someone and they said "you guys have been getting your tails kicked in for 70 years, why do they care now?" He said it's because he raised the bar.

Our all-time record is 493-478. 25 games over .500. Since he's been making the hires starting with the 2007 season we're 47 games under .500 at 31-78 between Dodge, Mccarney, and Canales. RV's hires are 47 games under .500 while non-RV hires here are a combined 72 games over .500.

He also made a big deal about Mccarney's bowl win being one of two in school history. We were FCS for a while, and before that there weren't hardly any bowl games. Now everyone who goes 6-6 gets in.

• Upvote 1

I just listened to it too. He said he was interviewing someone and they said "you guys have been getting your tails kicked in for 70 years, why do they care now?" He said it's because he raised the bar.

Our all-time record is 493-478. 25 games over .500. Since he's been making the hires starting with the 2007 season we're 47 games under .500 at 31-78 between Dodge, Mccarney, and Canales. RV's hires are 47 games under .500 while non-RV hires here are a combined 72 games over .500.

He also made a big deal about Mccarney's bowl win being one of two in school history. We were FCS for a while, and before that there weren't hardly any bowl games. Now everyone who goes 6-6 gets in.

It just seemed like someone trying to defend the indefensible on their way out the door. I really hope that is the case. 

• Upvote 1