so you have doubts? This is why you have to recruit well.

The question is there to imply why does that matter?

And aren't you extremely proud of your wife?  If you were being interviewed with a bunch of people in attendance, and your wife was sitting over there, wouldn't you want to highlight her as well?

Of course I am, and speak to her accomplishments often.

It just feels shallow and borderline objectifying simply to appeal to that base level line of thinking as a validation of self-worth. That's not to say that it's wrong to note when someone is incredibly attractive, not at all. But to then use that as a measuring stick is, well, offputting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

And aren't you extremely proud of your wife?  If you were being interviewed with a bunch of people in attendance, and your wife was sitting over there, wouldn't you want to highlight her as well?

That's my take on his comment. I make very similar comments all the time about my wife and why in the world she would be with me. 

• Upvote 6

I hear you, and understand your opinion, but I believe there was a different subtext that had nothing to do with his wife at all.  Rather, it had to do with his own, *joking* reference to *his* self worth, his great fortune, and her graciousness.  People get too wound up in innocuous, playful comments these days.  That, to me, is the most off-putting thing.

Hear, hear! Nothing weird or off-putting by what Littrell said. Simply using a football reference to state the obvious.

• Upvote 3

Of course I am, and speak to her accomplishments often.

It just feels shallow and borderline objectifying simply to appeal to that base level line of thinking as a validation of self-worth. That's not to say that it's wrong to note when someone is incredibly attractive, not at all. But to then use that as a measuring stick is, well, offputting.

I see your point but I took it as self deprecation and a way to compliment his wife. She probably has many great qualities and accomplishments in life that have nothing to do with her appearance. In my experience most women appreciate the simple acts from their husband, or anyone for that matter, like being told they are beautiful. I think that was his way of saying it IMHO. 

• Upvote 4

I hear you, and understand your opinion, but I believe there was a different subtext that had nothing to do with his wife at all.  Rather, it had to do with his own, *joking* reference to *his* self worth, his great fortune, and her graciousness.  People get too wound up in innocuous, playful comments these days.  That, to me, is the most off-putting thing.

Agree. Understand CW's point and respect his opinion.

Only reason for sharing the story was to allow those that weren't able to attend the meet and greet to get a sense about coach's relatability, quick wit and sense of humor. Many on the board had pointed out that he seemed nervous, but genuine during his press conference. In person, with the fans, I found him to be confident, humble and gracious in the interactions I witnessed. I happen to think these qualities will ultimately endear himself to UNT supporters and recruits alike.

• Upvote 2

I loathe this line of thinking. Feels gross.

Chris it looks like he did quite well with his wife. Blow it off it is just a line and he knows the fans are concerned about recruiting. I like it that he is not polished BS artist. 

Agree. Understand CW's point and respect his opinion.

Only reason for sharing the story was to allow those that weren't able to attend the meet and greet to get a sense about coach's relatability, quick wit and sense of humor. Many on the board had pointed out that he seemed nervous, but genuine during his press conference. In person, with the fans, I found him to be confident, humble and gracious in the interactions I witnessed. I happen to think these qualities will ultimately endear himself to UNT supporters and recruits alike.

Now that I can attest to as well. And guys, I'm not faulting the man for it, more taking note of the broader football culture overall.

Muschamp's use of the same line the other day was way more sickly.

• Downvote 1

Now that I can attest to as well. And guys, I'm not faulting the man for it, more taking note of the broader football culture overall.

Muschamp's use of the same line the other day was way more sickly.

So, it wasn't just what he said as much as the way he said it?  I think one thing to remember is that some things don't translate as well on the internet as in real time.

• Upvote 1

Face it.  Every man on here that is married out kicked his coverage.  We are a motley crew and don't deserve the wives we were lucky enough to horn swaggle in to marriage.

I suggest that you adopt the usage "hornswoggle", as it gets about 20 times the search results as "horn swaggle".  I seriously suggest that anyone avoid looking up the term "hornswaggle" at work in the Urban Dictionary.

• Upvote 2