Now that the dust has settled.......

StealthEagle84

With all of the turmoil of this past season and the angst against Rick Villarreal coming into this hiring process, I wanted to ask a simple question: Did the University of North Texas make the right hire in Seth Littrell?  I emphasize UNT because this is a group project that we all (students, alumni, staff, City of Denton, etc.) need get behind and support.  I know we as fans weren't directly involved in this hire but RV did not make this decision alone.  So at the end of the day, did WE get this one right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With all of the turmoil of this past season and the angst against Rick Villarreal coming into this hiring process, I wanted to ask a simple question: Did the University of North Texas make the right hire in Seth Littrell?  I emphasize UNT because this is a group project that we all (students, alumni, staff, City of Denton, etc.) need get behind and support.  I know we as fans weren't directly involved in this hire but RV did not make this decision alone.  So at the end of the day, did WE get this one right?

The man just got done coaching a ACC title game Saturday night, flew to Denton on Sunday and just finished up a press conference. Calm down its just day one.

• Upvote 4

I have a positive first impression of Littrell, but have no idea if he's the right guy. He's the fifth youngest head coach in FBS and has never been one before. I think he's got some chops as an offensive mind, but the rest -- recruiting, leadership, refusing to continue the culture of excuses that RV has created -- is an open question.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He seems to be "real", not all that full of himself, and enthusiastic about the opportunity. His track record would indicate that he has the skills to get this turnaround underway. He has the personal qualities to inspire people to get their butts in seats to see his handiwork. Do I expect a miracle? NO. I see steady improvement over a couple of years, then a "miracle" season (defined by me as 8 wins, bowl game) and a string of winning seasons following.

Short answer: Yeah, he is the right hire for us. I am pleased with our head football coach selection.

• Upvote 1

I can tell you this:

Before we hired anyone I told myself I wouldn't get season tickets or donate to MGC no matter who we hired, until things had changed that is. I am still skeptical, but if the Spring game is going to be as positive as I think it will, I will be a season ticket owner and regular MGC donor going forward.

• Upvote 6

I met this guy first hand today and I for one am super excited about this hire. He is a down to earth guy, Family Man, a Southerner, and loves the game of Football. He was given a 5 yr contract and I hope he stays for that many. He will lead up to several bowl games and I am behind this hire 110%

• Upvote 4

I think the dream scenario here is that he gets up to the 8+win mark consistently and hangs around for a very long time, wins bowl games, competes for/wins conference championships every year... grows an affinity for Denton, and stays despite other lower P5/higher G5 teams calling.  Then, leaves when his 'dream job' opens up in Norman, a-la JJ.  Or, never leaves at all and retires as our Bobby Bowden.

A more realistic optimistic scenario would be he gets up to the 8+win mark consistently over a 3-4 yr period and is hired away by a P5 school somewhere... leaving us in a good position to find someone to keep his progress going.  We'll try to pay him more because we'll be able to afford it due to our sold-out attendance figures, but he'll want to leave for the opportunity a P5 job provides.

A bad scenario would be that we're piddling around with a 5-7 to 7-5 record every year, but we're saddled with the highest-paid HC in our conference... he rides his contract out and is not renewed, and becomes a OC at some G5 school somewhere, and we're left doing this again with nothing new to sell the next guy.

A nightmare scenario would be Dodge 2.0.

• Upvote 1

Yes

I could of sworn that he talked about defense today. I am almost positive he did, He mentioned swarming the QB and making the offense make athletic plays or something to that extent.

I was sitting through eight hours of the most exhilarating tax update CPE imaginable during the presser, so didn't hear what he had to say.  Hope you're correct.

• Upvote 1

I was sitting through eight hours of the most exhilarating tax update CPE imaginable during the presser, so didn't hear what he had to say.  Hope you're correct.

OGS heard: "We're going to be running a deductions offense this year.  I anticipate filing early and often.  We cannot be concerned with what the IRS thinks, we have to focus on our own charitable giving.  The refunds will be credited 1040-fold..."

• Upvote 3

Biggest concern -- Not one time have I heard the word "defense" uttered since the announcement.

he definitely talked about defense. Said his defense would fly around, swarm the ball, be aggressive and pressure the quarterback.

Also talked about special teams. He sees special teams as (paraphrasing here) another offensive opportunity. Tells me he likes to be aggressive in special teams as well.....

Edited by TheColonyEagle

Biggest concern -- Not one time have I heard the word "defense" uttered since the announcement.

Worried about that as well.  While Littrell has been at many places where they have scored points, those places have also given up many points:

2010, Arizona:  33rd in Yards Allowed, 41st Points Allowed, final record 7-6
2011, Arizona:  101st in Yards Allowed, 107th Points Allowed, final record 4-8, Coach Mike Stoops fired before end of season.
2012, Indiana:  97th in Yards Allowed, 104th Points Allowed, final record 4-8
2013, Indiana:  124th in Yards Allowed, 117th Points Allowed, final record 5-7, Littrell hired by North Carolina
2014, North Carolina: 118th in Yards Allowed, 119th Points Allowed, final record 6-7

2015, North Carolina: 100th in Yards Allowed, 35th Points Allowed, record so far, 11-2

As you can see, despite all of the accolades Littrell has received for his side of the ball, every team he's been on as OC has not had a good defense.  Combined record of the schools he's been OC at:  37-38.

What is the reason for UNC's turn around this year?  Probably that former Texas DC and Auburn head coach Gene Chizik was hired as DC last December.  Tar Heels still gave up a bunch of yards this year, but their Points Allowed was way down - 119th to 35th. 

Record of schools Littrell's been at without Chizik as DC:  26-36.  So, until this season, his mentors had not done a great job of shoring up the defensive side of the ball.  Hope that made some sort of impression on him.

As posted last week and reiterated this morning, scoring and "exciting" offense is all well and good...unless, you can't stop anyone on the other side of the ball. 

It's clear that Littrell knows how to help an offense score.  The question is, will he hire a DC who will complement that...so that we don't relive the Dodge years of high schools and yardage total...to go along with many losses. 

Key hire among coaching staff, then:  Defensive coordinator

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've never thought, following the opening press conference of any of my new teams' new hires, "dang, we messed that hire up." 

Same. During the Mac press conference, I cracked a couple jokes, but thought at the time that he seemed legit. Some people couldn't contain themselves, compared with the reserved optimism today.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/57753-press-conference/

I could of sworn that he talked about defense today. I am almost positive he did, He mentioned swarming the QB and making the offense make athletic plays or something to that extent.

He did and what you posted is accurate to what he said. He also used the coaching moniker of "play fast" while talking about defense. 

• Upvote 1