Littrell on the ticket this morning

oldguystudent

I really enjoyed his responses to the interview, but to me, the entire interview was basically "why would you take this job." Granted, t's been a while since I've listened to the Ticket, so maybe that's just par for the course. But man, it's a local squad and if I'm not mistaken, several people on their staff do in fact have degrees from NT.

It's just a different feeling when local media speaks with Herman at UH here in Houston.

Both of the Musers graduated from UNT. Junior Miller does a better job of hiding that than anybody in local sports media. George Dunham's a huge UNT backer, of course, but he only rarely talks UNT on his show. I guess he's decided that the P1s who listen to KTCK don't want to hear it.

• Upvote 2

85% of the listening audience changed the channel as soon as they found out who he was anyway. And if you are just gonna coachspeak like your answers above why even do they interview? If you have the guy on, and you are familiar with the program like Jub is, why not ask good questions? And I understand the general DFW sports fan would be curious why the heck anyone would take this job so I didn't mind that one. Looking forward to hearing SL go deep at 12:30.

Yes, the verbal pauses were very heavy. "You know". Part of being new. You can tell he is a good communicator. I'm sure he will overcome that as he gets used to being the primary voice of the program to the media. 

Do you really think Littrell knows the programs history?  No, he doesn't.  He couldn't tell you anything without seeing them in person.  He just came to Denton for the first time yesterday.  Do you really think he has a solid idea on who his QB's are?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you really think Littrell knows the programs history?  No, he doesn't.

Since he went to Oklahoma, played for the Sooners and was a Texas Tech assistant for four years, I hope he has some awareness of the challenges we face at UNT and what it's like for us to compete and recruit in Texas.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, his interview was as good as it can be for 615 on a Monday morning when you just got into town. 

As for the Musers talking UNT, they do it when they can, which is more than the other sports radio stations in DFW. Radio/TV is a game of ratings. Did people on the radio talk TCU 15 years ago? No. Get a couple 10-11 win seasons and they'll talk. 

I like a guy who talks like he has 3 cans of dip in his mouth. Give me him over "Let me tell you another one of my stories from Hayden Fry days" or "Well, when I was at Southlake" or "The last time I ate a Jimmy Johns sandwich I felt..." 

Let's not forget "Back AT IOWA" and "Don't be a phony"

Honestly, his interview was as good as it can be for 615 on a Monday morning when you just got into town. 

As for the Musers talking UNT, they do it when they can, which is more than the other sports radio stations in DFW. Radio/TV is a game of ratings. Did people on the radio talk TCU 15 years ago? No. Get a couple 10-11 win seasons and they'll talk. 

I like a guy who talks like he has 3 cans of dip in his mouth. Give me him over "Let me tell you another one of my stories from Hayden Fry days" or "Well, when I was at Southlake" or "The last time I ate a Jimmy Johns sandwich I felt..." 

Seconded. Coming from oilfield country, I worked with many a men who sounded and probably act a lot like Littrell, and they all worked their asses off. People use the "good ole boy" moniker as a bad thing. I, on the other hand, see it as a positive as some "good ole boys" that I know are some of the hardest working people out there. I'm willing to bet he will put a blue collar, no excuses type mindset(the "good ole boy" mindset) to his coaching regime and it will produce results.

• Upvote 2

Spoke of building relationships with high schools, getting out there every week.  Talked about evolving and adapting as a coach, didn't speak of a rigid system.

Said he's glad to be home.  He's from OK, and is most comfortable in blue jeans and cowboy boots.

When talking about his "coaching tree," he said it's important to gain knowledge from everyone you work for.

Made no mention of husbands or fathers, and only spoke of North Carolina's chances up to the ACC championship game when directly asked about it.

Sounded like he had three cans of dip in his mouth. 

This guy really sounds like he's come here to build something, and he is not throwing out past laurels from other places upon which to rest.  He sounds hungry.  I like it.

His dad was from Muskogee, he's from Muskogee. I'm assuming his wife is as well because they were married at the First Baptist Church in Muskogee; normally, in those parts, you marry at the girl's church: http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/community/blackwell-littrell-marry-on-july/article_1e0d5fca-236d-5741-81e6-a16d19f59712.html

(It's pretty awesome that they were married on 7-7-2007 at 7 p.m.  Gotta like this guy's planning!)

Grandma's obit reveals that the family is likely heavily of the Baptist ilk, and for many years:  http://www.cornerstoneofmuskogee.com/obituaries/Bertha-Littrell/#!/Obituary

That will play well to recruits here, inasmuch as the Baptist brand is popular among church-goers in these here parts as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

His dad was from Muskogee, he's from Muskogee. I'm assuming his wife is as well because they were married at the First Baptist Church in Muskogee; normally, in those parts, you marry at the girl's church: http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/community/blackwell-littrell-marry-on-july/article_1e0d5fca-236d-5741-81e6-a16d19f59712.html

(It's pretty awesome that they were married on 7-7-2007 at 7 p.m.  Gotta like this guy's planning!)

Grandma's obit reveals that the family is likely heavily of the Baptist ilk, and for many years:  http://www.cornerstoneofmuskogee.com/obituaries/Bertha-Littrell/#!/Obituary

That will play well to recruits here, inasmuch as the Baptist brand is popular among church-goers in these here parts as well.

Josh Huepel was a groomsman...   OC?

• Upvote 3

The Green Brigade marching band needs to play "Okie from Muskogee" at the home opener next year.

• Upvote 5

For some so supportive of authority, you get mad when people obey their bosses.

Mad?

Its an observation. RV's "vision" is what Fly keeps trumpeting on here. People use catch words to cover for a lack of substance. RV's record speaks for itself.

I'm sure he was told of the unrest and asked to throw RV a bone. The comment was unsolicited and seemed awkwardly out of place in the interview. And it's the same catch word used by Fly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

My father passed away on 8-8-8 at 8am. His theme of life was piss poor planning leads to piss poor performance. 

Josh Huepel was a groomsman...   OC?

I mentioned this on the staff speculation thread but got crickets. I noticed they played together on that 2000 OU national championship team. Josh was the captain and QB of that team.. He was replaced by Lincoln Riley as OC at OU but is currently at Utah State as AHC/OC. 

I mentioned this on the staff speculation thread but got crickets. I noticed they played together on that 2000 OU national championship team. Josh was the captain and QB of that team.. He was replaced by Lincoln Riley as OC at OU but is currently at Utah State as AHC/OC. 

Littrell also was a captain on that championship team.

And I can't see any reason to leave that job to come here for a rebuild. Utah St has been to a bowl every year beginning in 2011 and will go again this year, though with a less than spectacular 6-6 team. But still.