Littrell on the ticket this morning

oldguystudent

I really enjoyed his responses to the interview, but to me, the entire interview was basically "why would you take this job." Granted, t's been a while since I've listened to the Ticket, so maybe that's just par for the course. But man, it's a local squad and if I'm not mistaken, several people on their staff do in fact have degrees from NT.

It's just a different feeling when local media speaks with Herman at UH here in Houston.

• Upvote 1

but to me, the entire interview was basically "why would you take this job."

I agree with that assessment, but it's really hard for me to disagree with that line of questioning sometimes.  Have you seen the state of our athletics?  We really, really need someone here who can see past that and be able to build from the ashes.  

In my former life in sales, that was one of my specialties -- going into distressed, forsaken, nearly abandoned territories, and building them up again.  People would ask me the same thing "Why would you go there?"  My answer was the upside potential, which when realized, yielded mighty rewards indeed.

I hope that Littrell is of this mindset and is already working on realizing that upside potential that we know is there but has been lying dormant for forty years.

• Upvote 6

Questions were pretty weak from Musers. I want to hear his thoughts on addressing QB position. Has he watched our film? What are his impressions of the talent on the current roster? How close is he to announcing his staff. Hopefully he will address these at 12:30.

^ THIS!

To play devil's (RV) advocate, maybe it is a little early for those questions...

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 2

Questions were pretty weak from Musers. I want to hear his thoughts on addressing QB position. Has he watched our film? What are his impressions of the talent on the current roster? How close is he to announcing his staff. Hopefully he will address these at 12:30.

I'll take these.

We need to find a good QB and look for talent on and off the roster to get to where we want to be.

Yes, I've watched our film.

This roster has talent, but we need to keep improving. I've challenged the guys internally to get better and we're going to continue to bring in the best players we can find as well.

We will be announcing staff soon.

Feel better? Why did 85% of the listening audience change the channel?

• Upvote 5

I agree with that assessment, but it's really hard for me to disagree with that line of questioning sometimes.  Have you seen the state of our athletics?  We really, really need someone here who can see past that and be able to build from the ashes.  

In my former life in sales, that was one of my specialties -- going into distressed, forsaken, nearly abandoned territories, and building them up again.  People would ask me the same thing "Why would you go there?"  My answer was the upside potential, which when realized, yielded mighty rewards indeed.

I hope that Littrell is of this mindset and is already working on realizing that upside potential that we know is there but has been lying dormant for forty years.

Good way to look at it. 

Like I said, I've been away from DFW media for a while. Houston media tends to be champions for the local college programs -- which may or may not be "professional," but I personally enjoy it more than cynicism. Most people who went to UH or UNT have cynicism aplenty, with respects to athletics -- they don't need any help with the self-deprecation.  

• Upvote 4

It's one of his first interview.  Give the guy a break here..

• Upvote 5

I'll take these.

We need to find a good QB and look for talent on and off the roster to get to where we want to be.

Yes, I've watched our film.

This roster has talent, but we need to keep improving. I've challenged the guys internally to get better and we're going to continue to bring in the best players we can find as well.

We will be announcing staff soon.

Feel better? Why did 85% of the listening audience change the channel?

85% of the listening audience changed the channel as soon as they found out who he was anyway. And if you are just gonna coachspeak like your answers above why even do they interview? If you have the guy on, and you are familiar with the program like Jub is, why not ask good questions? And I understand the general DFW sports fan would be curious why the heck anyone would take this job so I didn't mind that one. Looking forward to hearing SL go deep at 12:30.

He said "uh" and "um" enough times to rival Jerry Jones.

Yes, the verbal pauses were very heavy. "You know". Part of being new. You can tell he is a good communicator. I'm sure he will overcome that as he gets used to being the primary voice of the program to the media. 

• Downvote 1

Littrell kind of came across as kind of just a good ole boy.  I do worry that he didn't come across as oozing that charisma that a great coach seems to have...that was his first interview as a head coach...that I heard anyways.  He has time to get a bit more polished on that front.  The most important thing to me is that he is able to connect with young men and their parents in livingrooms and convince talent to come to Denton.  I feel pretty good about his track record with offensive x's and o's producing numbers....  if he can pull the talent.  The other part of it is making sure that he has a good enough defensive staff to do the same on the other side of the ball.  Offensive numbers are very marketable and fun to watch, HOWEVER, I still believe in great defense as being essential to w's.  The ONE good season that McCarney had was due to a great defense.  Can you imagine if that defense had a better than mediocre offense to go with it? 

I would have been excited no matter what this guy said really.  We just needed a change and our new beginning to start.  As long as nitardy isn't running the ticket office anymore, I'm feeling like we are coming back as season ticket holders after a 2 year break...  even if we can't make some games due to my kids' saturday sporting schedules... 

I forgot to mention that special teams in that season were very much above average as well.  blocked kicks and returns for touchdowns...  man brelan was good and I still wonder why he didn't get a real shot in the nfl.  he is small, but it wasn't like he was slow.  fast and strong is a good combo

Edited by SHOSS
  • Upvote 2

85% of the listening audience changed the channel as soon as they found out who he was anyway. And if you are just gonna coachspeak like your answers above why even do they interview? If you have the guy on, and you are familiar with the program like Jub is, why not ask good questions? And I understand the general DFW sports fan would be curious why the heck anyone would take this job so I didn't mind that one. Looking forward to hearing SL go deep at 12:30.

Yes, the verbal pauses were very heavy. "You know". Part of being new. You can tell he is a good communicator. I'm sure he will overcome that as he gets used to being the primary voice of the program to the media. 

For sure.  I took it as him being genuine.  Those weren't canned responses (although there was alot of coach-speak), he was answering on the fly.  

Littrell kind of came across as kind of just a good ole boy.  I do worry that he didn't come across as oozing that charisma that a great coach seems to have...that was his first interview as a head coach...that I heard anyways.  He has time to get a bit more polished on that front.  The most important thing to me is that he is able to connect with young men and their parents in livingrooms and convince talent to come to Denton.  I feel pretty good about his track record with offensive x's and o's producing numbers....  if he can pull the talent. 

If you've ever listened to Art Briles you needn't worry about Littrell.   Art Briles sounds and looks like someone who has just finished milking the cows and just barely got cleaned up before he was interviewed. Believe me, I know that look and sound. Many of my friends lived on dairys just outside Decatur. If Art Briles can talk recruits into coming and playing for him, so can Littrell. 

The other part of it is making sure that he has a good enough defensive staff to do the same on the other side of the ball.  Offensive numbers are very marketable and fun to watch, HOWEVER, I still believe in great defense as being essential to w's.  The ONE good season that McCarney had was due to a great defense.  Can you imagine if that defense had a better than mediocre offense to go with it? .. 

This!

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

Littrell kind of came across as kind of just a good ole boy.  I do worry that he didn't come across as oozing that charisma that a great coach seems to have...that was his first interview as a head coach...that I heard anyways.  He has time to get a bit more polished on that front.  The most important thing to me is that he is able to connect with young men and their parents in livingrooms and convince talent to come to Denton.  I feel pretty good about his track record with offensive x's and o's producing numbers....  if he can pull the talent.  The other part of it is making sure that he has a good enough defensive staff to do the same on the other side of the ball.  Offensive numbers are very marketable and fun to watch, HOWEVER, I still believe in great defense as being essential to w's.  The ONE good season that McCarney had was due to a great defense.  Can you imagine if that defense had a better than mediocre offense to go with it? 

I would have been excited no matter what this guy said really.  We just needed a change and our new beginning to start.  As long as nitardy isn't running the ticket office anymore, I'm feeling like we are coming back as season ticket holders after a 2 year break...  even if we can't make some games due to my kids' saturday sporting schedules... 

I forgot to mention that special teams in that season were very much above average as well.  blocked kicks and returns for touchdowns...  man brelan was good and I still wonder why he didn't get a real shot in the nfl.  he is small, but it wasn't like he was slow.  fast and strong is a good combo

If you've ever listened to Art Briles you needn't worry about Littrell.   Art Briles sounds and looks like someone who has just finished milking the cows and just barely got cleaned up before he was interviewed. Believe me, I know that look and sound. Many of my friends lived on dairys just outside Decatur. If Art Briles can talk recruits into coming and playing for him, so can Littrell. 

This!

A lot of times Good Ole Boy will get you farther in building long-term relationships than used car salesman.

• Upvote 7

A lot of times Good Ole Boy will get you farther in building long-term relationships than used car salesman.

Bingo!   I've heard multiple stories of coaches like Bear Bryant who would kick kids out of their house for an hour so he could talk to their momma.  By the time they came back they were gonna sign with him, and they had no say in the matter.

• Upvote 3

OK - you're right, so let's try it again:

Look, the QB talent on the team is...well, I mean, you all saw it. It sucks. I'm not sure how some of these kids got scholarships and cannot wait to scour the butt edge of recruiting this year to try to fix this at the last minute. Also, join me later today in Denton when I meet the lettermen and players.

I mean, I started to, but I saw all I needed to see quickly. I was busy a lot of the year, but did you actually see Portland State? What the hell was that? I just watched an old episode of Frazier instead. Eddie the dog is hilarious. I wish he wasn't dead.

To be honest, I'm not impressed with the roster at all. Recruiting has been rough under McCarney and I am not looking forward to fixing that mess. Again, join me later today in Denton when I meet the lettermen and players.

I've posted shirtless photos of every candidate I am talking to online and where we stand in negotiations to the Mean Green FB Facebook page. Be sure to log on and add your comments!

Thank you for time gents, and Georgio...before I go...vaginal slice born born. 

You just think your 2 smart 

WE WANT ANSWERS DAMNIT 

• Upvote 3

Spoke of building relationships with high schools, getting out there every week.  Talked about evolving and adapting as a coach, didn't speak of a rigid system.

Said he's glad to be home.  He's from OK, and is most comfortable in blue jeans and cowboy boots.

When talking about his "coaching tree," he said it's important to gain knowledge from everyone you work for.

Made no mention of husbands or fathers, and only spoke of North Carolina's chances up to the ACC championship game when directly asked about it.

Sounded like he had three cans of dip in his mouth. 

This guy really sounds like he's come here to build something, and he is not throwing out past laurels from other places upon which to rest.  He sounds hungry.  I like it.

He doesn't really have any past laurels to throw out. 

The first minute of the interview was about UNT, the rest was college football playoff talk. 

One comment concerned me. Littrell made a comment about fulfilling "Rick Villarreal's vision." It's a repeat of the AD talking points we see Fly post on here. I hope this isn't an indication that RV is going to be here a while...

Get ready for fake crocodile tears from RV at the press conference and a banner shortly after...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

The first minute of the interview was about UNT, the rest was college football playoff talk. 

One comment concerned me. Littrell made a comment about fulfilling "Rick Villarreal's vision." It's a repeat of the AD talking points we see Fly post on here. I hope this isn't an indication that RV is going to be here a while...

Get ready for fake crocodile tears from RV at the press conference and a banner shortly after...

I mean, RV is his boss. He's just saying the things he's supposed to say. There is nothing wrong with this. Its is also possible that the RV's vision is something like "winning football games at North Texas" which, despite my dislike for his performance up to this point, is pretty much word for word my vision of this program also. It then becomes a choice between agreeing with RV or valuing wins. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Omgoodness. Is he already trying to get fans turned away. He must know the reality of the situation. 

• Downvote 4