Realistic goals for the Littrell era

Harry

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.

This is one of the reasons (if not the main reason) he was hired.  He is able to adapt his system to the talent he has.   He was only the OC at NC for 2 years and Indiana for only 2 years prior.  He did not have time to get "his guys" in at either place, yet his offenses took off anyway both times.

Getting "his guys", at least offensively, is not going to be a pass for him.  Not with the amount of money he's being paid.  Offensively, we should expect to see a mighty turnaround immediately.  Like, hopefully by next year we're at least in the top half of all FBS offenses.

Now, defense is a different animal.   I really don't think we could be any worse defensively than we were this year.   I guess if he has a defensive philosophy, it may take some time to get "his guys" in here.  Otherwise, it's going to be his DC's guys.

I always hate coaches that have the excuse "well, once I get guys who fit my system". Usually, those coaches tend not to be successful. If you're a good teacher, your players will adapt.

• Upvote 1

this is going to be a rebuild get use to that idea guys . Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

Yes, this is going to be a massive rebuilding effort! It probably take at least some time and I'm not going to be disappointed if it takes four years - 2019 - before we are competing for a Conference championship. 

But, we only won one game this year so two or three wins next year is a very reasonable goal and will show improvement. Competing for a bowl game in 2017 and 2018 and then for a championship in 19 is a reasonable building process. 

Statistically, it's very, very few teams that get an immediate turn around. It's in the range of less than 10%. I don't think that 90% of coaches are failures. 

Of course there are always exceptions and we could get lucky. We should be due to get lucky, but I wouldn't count on more quickly than three years for a bowl and four to compete for a conference championship. 

this is going to be a rebuild get use to that idea guys . Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

Absolutely... especially defensively.   

But when you look at Littrell's track record, the reason why he was hired, his offenses have been dynamic no matter who he inherited.  He is not going to need time to get 'his guys' in here.  He's mostly going to need time to get existing players to buy-in.

Building in excuses for 3-4 years cannot fly anymore because of the money we're paying.   I expect to win a few high-scoring shootouts next year because his offense is much better than Chico's, but our defense is still struggling.

You don't think Wilson/Ivery will be able to excel in a spread?   Goree/Kidsey/Smiley/Rutherford?  DaMarcus's (or whoever the QB is) acclimation will be key.

You're right. Goree and Rutherford's impact was minimal this year, in a new system it'll be interesting to see how they adjust. You are right. With the current QB situation other teams will still load the box with 9, even from the spread simply because there is no threat at QB. 

You're right. Goree and Rutherford's impact was minimal this year, in a new system it'll be interesting to see how they adjust. You are right. With the current QB situation other teams will still load the box with 9, even from the spread simply because there is no threat at QB. 

Then hopefully Littrell will have *effective* pass plays to the flats designed to get those guys in the box to at least spread out a little to cover the sidelines.

I actually expect to see more of Ivery in motion or in the slot.  He's an effective receiver, and dangerous in space... kinda like how the Cowboys use Dunbar.

Okay here it is:

1 Recruit (top 100 players in the area and state of Texas) and develop players. 

2 Win

3 Advertise (let people know who you're playing and when) in the Dallas morning news sports section (a must) and social media second.

4 no more body bag games, we'll play anyone out of conference but must be a home and home.

5 must start scheduling marque games at home, teams that will bring fans and teams that people want to see us play (Texas Tech, Baylor, OSU, Houston, Kansas St.) 

Okay here it is:

1 Recruit (top 100 players in the area and state of Texas) and develop players. 

2 Win

3 Advertise (let people know who you're playing and when) in the Dallas morning news sports section (a must) and social media second.

4 no more body bag games, we'll play anyone out of conference but must be a home and home.

5 must start scheduling marque games at home, teams that will bring fans and teams that people want to see us play (Texas Tech, Baylor, OSU, Houston, Kansas St.) 

Only the 1st two are in his control.  The other 3 are not his responsibility and would only detract from him being able to accomplish #s 1 & 2.