Littrell to be named UNT HC per Brett McMurphy

BillySee58

I don't agree or disagree with you. Willie Fritz could have done some good things here for us. He could have came here and sucked something fierce too. Seth Littrell was not my top choice and I don't really know what to expect from him from any standpoint. From the interviews that I have looked up and listened to he is generic in his talk and talks a lot of mumbo jumbo. That is something I am not very fond of. I do know that his offenses have produced everywhere he has been. I do know that he has never been to a G5 program once. So, I don't know what to expect. I am not disagreeing with you on anything. You're just annoying about how you handle your "my way or the highway" mantra. We all know you wanted Fritz. We all know that you will be subconsciously rooting against all things UNT until RV is gone. I am like that in every aspect right now except for the new football coach. I will root for him and his team until he gives me reasons not to. I do know where this athletic path leads with RV still employed by this university. That is why I am skeptical about anything UNT athletics right now. Hopefully this hire gives the new AD (please baby Jesus give us a new AD) some wiggle room to work on other athletic endeavors upon his/her arrival...such as basketball facility upgrades, building a real alum donor foundation, getting more than 10-15 big money donors, cultivating Denton businesses, getting real momentum behind the baseball program, gaining traction on an indoor football practice facility, negotiating decent home football games, looking for a new basketball coach, etc.   But I am not going to put down this hire until I have reasons to. It seems to be a "decent" hire after taking a step back and looking into it. We needed youth and this hire provides that. We needed offense and this hire provides that. We need to know who his coordinators are going to be and who his "right hand man" in recruiting is going to be. As much as this looks like a decent hire on paper, it could be a devastating hire that sets us back another half decade. Who knows. This is a chance hire (though less of a chance than Dodge). 

Funny, you guys are the ones that keep bringing up Fritz and pouting because I disagree with you. It's like talking to a bunch of 3 year olds.

I've detailed the criteria I would have used several times, and you in particular have read it, but you want to stomp your feet and pout by saying the only guy I wanted was Fritz (not true). 

But the powers that be went another way. It'll be interesting to see if it works.

Let's revisit in 3 years, if you haven't gone off the far deep end by then...

i don't think its anger.. just think us true MEAN GREEN fans aren't going to let your pessimistic attitude ruin this exciting day in MEAN GREEN nation. 

MEAN GREEN LOVE >> your RV hate 

your UNT90 hate >> my RV hate.

Lol.

And yes, you were being childish again.

If Smatresk is serious about this he knows that an outdated AD has to go. Simply putting a new coach in a broken support system is simply throwing away money. 

So much this. Great post.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

UNT90  The issue people have is not with you and the fact you disagree It is that no matter what you continue to try to put down the program and be completely negative.  Please try and have one day where you're not so negative, trust me it will be OK 

Just pointing out that things may not be all sunshine and buttercups because we changed coaches, again, isn't being negative. It's being realistic. 

If everyone wants to jump up and down and claim we will win CUSA next year because of this hire, go right ahead. I won't be joining you.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

RV will be here for 27 more months. He's not stupid enough to give up his salary. He ain't retiring. If Smatresk was gonna fire him it would have been six weeks ago. We will have a new AD in March 2018. Until then we have to hope that Littrell can overcome RVs decision making and win.

• Upvote 1

Just pointing out that things may not be all sunshine and buttercups because we changed coaches, again, isn't being negative. It's being realistic. 

If everyone wants to jump up and down and claim we will win CUSA next year because of this hire, go right ahead. I won't be joining you.

so if he does come in and starts winning you will not be enjoying those wins? 

• Upvote 1

We're already talking about how Littrell would have won 5 games with this roster?  I disagree.  Seems that we had a lot more problems with this roster than coaching.  Seth is going to need to completely rebuild this roster, and getting a late start on recruiting this year means he's going to need at least 4 years to put together his team and teach them how to play his system (which he also needs to build from scratch).

I'm excited about this hire!  It will be interesting to see how he recruits.

• Upvote 2

We're already talking about how Littrell would have won 5 games with this roster?  I disagree.  Seems that we had a lot more problems with this roster than coaching.  Seth is going to need to completely rebuild this roster, and getting a late start on recruiting this year means he's going to need at least 4 years to put together his team and teach them how to play his system (which he also needs to build from scratch).

I'm excited about this hire!  It will be interesting to see how he recruits.

Correct. No one wins 5 games with the QB situation we had, much less the bad defense. 

Thats the kind of jumping up and down blind optimism that I'm talking about. Enjoy the hire, but please don't act like Littrell is the next coming. The most important thing he will do upon arrival is hire a DC. If that isn't fixed, it doesn't matter how prolific the offense ends up.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't agree or disagree with you. Willie Fritz could have done some good things here for us. He could have came here and sucked something fierce too. Seth Littrell was not my top choice and I don't really know what to expect from him from any standpoint. From the interviews that I have looked up and listened to he is generic in his talk and talks a lot of mumbo jumbo. That is something I am not very fond of. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLOUBqQUN1s

you watched this? That ain't mumbo jumbo, this dude knows his stuff. There is another one I can't find where he is showing the breakdown of plays. Coaches don't get paid to show fans how smart they are by using terminology.  Hell half of us wouldn't know what he's talking about anyway. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

so if he does come in and starts winning you will not be enjoying those wins? 

If people keep grilling UNT90 like this I'm going to dig up what we all said on this board when McCarney and Dodge were hired.

Those of us who participated in the Fire RV campaign did it because we are sick and tired of losing and RV making excuses. If by chance UNT has made its first good football hire in RV's 14-year tenure at UNT we're not going to hate that. We're going to be as happy as an alcoholic who marries a liquor store owner.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Correct. No one wins 5 games with the QB situation we had, much less the bad defense. 

Thats the kind of jumping up and down blind optimism that I'm talking about. Enjoy the hire, but please don't act like Littrell is the next coming. The most important thing he will do upon arrival is hire a DC. If that isn't fixed, it doesn't matter how prolific the offense ends up.

yeah I am pre mature to think he could have used the same offensive players and been successful.  He only did it everywhere he went, going up against much better talent than what he will see here.  I don't understand why it's doom and gloom. Is he perfect? Maybe not, but man I can't see how anyone looks at this guys pedigree and doesn't get excited.  Has he run a program? No but he has helped managed plenty of teams, and he can bring in experienced guys. 

SMU, Rice, Portland St (yes it should be a win), possibly Marshall but I won't count it, UTSA, UTEP. there's 5 you don't believe with a semi coherent OC we could score 2-3 more TDs those games? I do, because our offense looked anemic it can only get better. 

yeah I am pre mature to think he could have used the same offensive players and been successful.  He only did it everywhere he went, going up against much better talent than what he will see here.  I don't understand why it's doom and gloom. Is he perfect? Maybe not, but man I can't see how anyone looks at this guys pedigree and doesn't get excited.  Has he run a program? No but he has helped managed plenty of teams, and he can bring in experienced guys. 

Again, it's not doom and gloom. It's wait and see. 

And all the other places had FBS QB talent in place. We do not. And the defense is gawdawful. It's not just about one side of the ball anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Again, it's not doom and gloom. It's wait and see. 

And all the other places had FBS QB talent in place. We do not. And the defense is gawdawful. It's not just about one side of the ball anymore.

ok good, I can appreciate you waiting to see and I understand why you would. I think (we disagree) that we have an FBS QB, D smith needs reps and not footwork drills in practice.  Every time I saw their practices they spent the majority of their time on this. He needs actual reps reading defenses making adjustments and having film time with a coach who breaks those down. I understand why you feel he isn't, because he didn't show great decision making this year, his short throws were horrendous, and he turned the ball over a lot.  I just think those things can be fixed.  Remember this is his 1st year playing against D1 competition, and he didn't get ANY reps until halfway through the season.  I am holding out that Littrell can get the Elite 11 talent out of him, and mask or correct the other blemishes he has.  

I am am curious as to how some of D Smith's confidence would have grown if there weren't as many drops.  I guess we will see what happens. Some of our defensive issues were highlighted by the exposure they had due to our offensive issues IMO. Did we have issues and have glaring ones? Yes absolutely. 

Edited by GMG24

Fans should be concerned that Littrell won't have the best chance to succeed with RV around. He's got a way of doing things that has not produced success on the field and has not built a strong base of fan support. I think the best course of action is to pair the new leadership in football with new leadership at the AD position.

can we live in the moment for 10 minutes before you throw reality at us?  it has been a long year.

• Upvote 2

dude I think he could have taken the same group and won 4-5 easy. That's not koolaid talk either. This guy is a game changer.

Sorry that is drinking the spiked punch if not Kool Aide.  Did you watch the DL and OL play at all this year?  Also RB Wilson wasn't available for couple of game also and they would not have won any games without him.  Lastly the secondary ended up with a lot of underclassmen in the ranks due to injury and bad play.  Of the 22 position players that are on the field for regular offensive or defensive snaps we may have had 4 that played consistently good.  You could have brought Nick Saban in here with the same roster and 4 would have been max.

Edited by Mike Jackson

I'm excited by this hire. There are reasons to be concerned for sure. When I heard we were going after a P5 Coordinator that worried me. For a lot of the same reasons that have been mentioned on here. But, since we did go that route, this seems like a guy who has been a lot of places in a short amount of time which is a positive.

He also has been hired by some quality coaches. And I've found generally if smart people hire you, you're usually pretty good too. It might not work out, but the risk seems worth it to me

• Upvote 1

Sorry that is drinking the spiked punch if not Kool Aide.  Did you watch the DL and OL play at all this year?  Also RB Wilson wasn't available for couple of game also and they would not have won any games with him.  Lastly the secondary ended up with a lot of underclassmen in the ranks due to injury and bad play.  Of the 22 position players that are on the field for regular offensive or defensive snaps we may have had 4 that played consistently good.  You could have brought Nick Saban in here with the same roster and 4 would have been max.

ok.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Is there any coach this fan base WOULD NOT have been impressed with once their name surfaced?

Answer:  No!

Rick

You obviously missed the reaction to Mangino and Chambers rumors, to say nothing of the lower tier coaches and positional coaches mentioned in Vito's FOIA list. 

Sorry that is drinking the spiked punch if not Kool Aide.  Did you watch the DL and OL play at all this year?  Also RB Wilson wasn't available for couple of game also and they would not have won any games without him.  Lastly the secondary ended up with a lot of underclassmen in the ranks due to injury and bad play.  Of the 22 position players that are on the field for regular offensive or defensive snaps we may have had 4 that played consistently good.  You could have brought Nick Saban in here with the same roster and 4 would have been max.

giphy.gif

Someone give me a ninja face here, but has anyone heard the name of Mike Singletary come up?

GO MEAN GREEN!

Here ya go.  In new, updated, fashion d'jour gif form.

ninja.gif

Now then.  People.  Please.  When the contract is finally and actually signed, and the announcement is finally and actually made, can we get back to discussing the important things?  You know.  Uniforms and band formations?

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2