Benford firing watch

UNT90

12/29 if we lose to Sam Houston State.

We are going to be 2-7 heading into our next winnable game which is Nichols State at home. 

All I want is to make sure that Combs, Brown, Holston and Brice do not leave. Everybody else could transfer out at the end of the year when we bring in the new coach. Most likely Resse, Ward and Johnson would stay as seniors anyway...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I wonder if we have the money, or can we find it, to buy out another contract. Also, is there someone on staff capable of holding an interim position for the rest of the year? I'd hate to lose some of these players because we end up so bad that they see it as a hopeless situation. Regardless, something needs to be done.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if we have the money, or can we find it, to buy out another contract. Also, is there someone on staff capable of holding an interim position for the rest of the year? I'd hate to lose some of these players because we end up so bad that they see it as a hopeless situation. Regardless, something needs to be done.

Yeah, no kidding. And some still have the, uh, mental fortitude(?) to keep supporting the man that is solely responsible. It's an embarassment to our great university. Casual fans from other universities are fully aware of the dumpster fire of an athletic director we have. Yet, nothing is done. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We should probably start this thread now.

I don't know how long he will make it past the football hire...

200.gif

He ain't sick...he's Benford'd.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3

I went to the game, and is there a team with a less qualified coach out there other than ours? Honestly. We have talent on the floor, but nothing coming from the bench. Also, I went to a lot of games at the old stage, so it's really hard to say, but I wish we could have an environment in Denton like they have in Arlington. Nice place and very loud for a fairly small crowd. The 17 gang needs to pay Cross a million and get him up here ASAP. 

Oh, and someone needs to tell Benford to keep his butt and chairs off of the court during timeouts because that stunt just doesn't work.

• Upvote 3

Update on the record of RV's revenue sport hires over the last 10 years:

WBB:

- 25-67 Stephens (2008-2011)

- 15-16 Aston (2011-2012)
- 28-61 Peterson (2012-2015)
- 2-3 Jalie Mitchell (2015-2016 after SMU game)

70-147 total

MBB:
- 12-20 Benford (2012-2013)
- 16-16 Benford (2013-2014)
- 14-17 Benford (2014-2015)
- 2-5 Benford (2015-2016) 

44-58 total

Football:
- 6-37 Dodge (2007-2010)
- 22-32 Mccarney (2011-2015)
- 3-9 Canales (2010, 2015)*

28-69 total
*31-78 total including Canales

Total:
142-274
*145-283 including Canales
138 games under .500
1 winning season, 17 losing, 1 .500
1 winning season out of 19 completed seasons

138 games under .500 including Chico's record accumulated while attempting to clean up the mess left by RV's football hires. By the end of basketball season we could be looking at 150 games under. We probably are already there if you only included games against D1 competition.

But some out there, whoever they may be, still support this man. Smastrek, wake up. Do SOMETHING. 

*I do believe Johnny Jones was a RV hire. His ONE decent hire. At some point the law of averages is surely going to kick in and he'll be destined to make an actual good hire...maybe, right?  It's a damn shame that this is the reality that we are in. 0 accountability. None. 

• Upvote 1

But some out there, whoever they may be, still support this man. Smastrek, wake up. Do SOMETHING. 

*I do believe Johnny Jones was a RV hire. His ONE decent hire. At some point the law of averages is surely going to kick in and he'll be destined to make an actual good hire...maybe, right?  It's a damn shame that this is the reality that we are in. 0 accountability. None. 

Yeah, JJ was a RV hire, but Billy said the above was off hires done in the last 10 years. I think he chose that timeframe to give a decent sample size and better reflect how RV has done hiring coaches more recently and thus how he is likely to do in the future.

Update on the record of RV's revenue sport hires over the last 10 years:

WBB:

- 25-67 Stephens (2008-2011)

- 15-16 Aston (2011-2012)
- 28-61 Peterson (2012-2015)
- 2-3 Jalie Mitchell (2015-2016 after SMU game)

70-147 total

MBB:
- 12-20 Benford (2012-2013)
- 16-16 Benford (2013-2014)
- 14-17 Benford (2014-2015)
- 2-5 Benford (2015-2016) 

44-58 total

Football:
- 6-37 Dodge (2007-2010)
- 22-32 Mccarney (2011-2015)
- 3-9 Canales (2010, 2015)*

28-69 total
*31-78 total including Canales

Total:
142-274
*145-283 including Canales
138 games under .500
1 winning season, 17 losing, 1 .500
1 winning season out of 19 completed seasons

138 games under .500 including Chico's record accumulated while attempting to clean up the mess left by RV's football hires. By the end of basketball season we could be looking at 150 games under. We probably are already there if you only included games against D1 competition.

Thanks for putting these together. Really puts it into perspective. I'd venture to guess this is close to worst if not the worst in D1 athletic, or at least those with FBS football teams? Comparing that to my Dallas professional sports teams, it really makes me wonder why us die-hards stick around. Imagine a city with 1 winning season from all their pro sports teams in the last 5 years. Even Cleveland has the Cavaliers. 

Yeah, JJ was a RV hire, but Billy said the above was off hires done in the last 10 years. I think he chose that timeframe to give a decent sample size and better reflect how RV has done hiring coaches more recently and thus how he is likely to do in the future.

The question is, as Eddie Murphy has eloquently put:  "what have you done for me lately??"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90mFGwYJ0s8 (language warning, obviously). 

• Upvote 1

I do believe Johnny Jones was a RV hire. His ONE decent hire. At some point the law of averages is surely going to kick in and he'll be destined to make an actual good hire...maybe, right?  It's a damn shame that this is the reality that we are in. 

Jalie Mitchell may be the second.

as Untjim said, rob Evans should be able to handle the head coaching duties. 

I was thinking about submitting my resume as the Unt coach from ncaa basketball 2k8. 

I went to the tournament every year, won multiple national championships, and eventually got a lifetime contract. Pretty confident that translates, at least better than what vendors does. 

I am just gonna run full court and traps all game long. Press the steal button over and over. Push the ball up the court as fast as possible and of course, crash the boards. 

• Upvote 2

as Untjim said, rob Evans should be able to handle the head coaching duties. 

Again, Evans is only here because of Benford.  Benford is his 'protege'.  

After the past few seasons, you have to wonder if Evans doubts his own coaching abilities based on the poor results of his apprentice. 

If/when Benford is canned, Evans will probably leave with him.

You gotta think, with the amount of money Ernie has thrown at b-ball, that he wont be able to stomach it much longer...