Reason Littrell Excites Me

Harry

I know we don't know that much about him, but he seems like sort of a take no bullshit type of guy.

I like that he was a team captain on a national championship team.  

Like @Cerebus has mentioned, he was a 4-year assistant under Mike Leach.  I may like that more than any other credential he has and he has a damn lot of them.

It excites me that we could be the launching pad for a brilliant head coaching career.  When was the last time we had someone leave here for better things?  Hayden Fry? 

I know we don't know that much about him, but he seems like sort of a take no bullshit type of guy.

Like @Cerebus has mentioned, he was a 4-year assistant under Mike Leach.  I may like that more than any other credential he has and he has a damn lot of them.

It excites me that we could be the launching pad for a brilliant head coaching career.  When was the last time we had someone leave here for better things?  Hayden Fry? 

I think this is the best part so far, I can't wait to see the staff he puts it together.

I like both Meacham and Littrell but I have to admit that Litrells schemes seem to fit what North Texas football does better.  At least those bleeps we did well.  I got excited about the air raid from tcu but the surprise multiple looks Littrell brings will be fun to watch.  We will have no mercy Bethune.  

Now please make the announcement soon!

gmg

• Upvote 2

Technically, I guess that you'd have to say Jerry Moore, who went to Texas Tech from here.  But, that was still 35 years ago!

• Upvote 2

I'm very confused why everything is talking about what he learned from Leach.  Look at his resume:

2014-present - North Carolina Assistant Head Coach for Offense/Tight Ends ---- HC is under Mike Gundy tree

2012-13 - Indiana Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends/Fullbacks ----- HC is under Bob Stoops tree
2011 - Arizona Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends/H-Backs -----  HC is under Bob Stoops tree 
2010 - Arizona Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running ----- HC is under Bob Stoops tree
2009 - Arizona Running Backs & Tight Ends Coach ----- HC is under Bob Stoops tree
2005-08 - Texas Tech Running Backs Coach ----- Mike Leach who was his OC at OU in 1999/ 
2002-04 - Kansas Graduate Assistant ---- HC is under Bob Stoops tree

4 years at OU -- HC is Bob Stoops

I'm excited that his under Bob Stoops tree.  

He was able to learn how to build a winning team from nothing while being a GA at Kansas under Mangino. 2002-2004 recruits won the 2007 orange bowl

He was an Offensive Coordinator 5 years after of coaching.  

Helped jump start Indiana.

Well, lets just say he's the OC of a team playing in the ACC Championship game. 

That excites me a lot actually.   

• Upvote 2

It wouldn't be that crazy for Mangino to come to UNT to be the OC/AHC, he's currently unemployed.  

My step dad is the COO of Zoes Kitchen.  The current CEO of Zoe's Kitchen reported to stepdad at La Madeleine.  My step dad was the COO and he was a VP.   My step dad was hired right before Zoes went public.  There's a reason why the CEO wanted to hire my step dad; experience, leadership, etc...  

Not everyone who use to be the boss of someone can now take direction from that same person.  Would this work with Littrell and Mangino?? I have no idea but it's not that out of reach if I've seen it happen right in front of my own eyes.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm very confused why everything is talking about what he learned from Leach.  Look at his resume:

2014-present - North Carolina Assistant Head Coach for Offense/Tight Ends ---- HC is under Mike Gundy tree

2012-13 - Indiana Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends/Fullbacks ----- HC is under Bob Stoops tree
2011 - Arizona Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends/H-Backs -----  HC is under Bob Stoops tree 
2010 - Arizona Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running ----- HC is under Bob Stoops tree
2009 - Arizona Running Backs & Tight Ends Coach ----- HC is under Bob Stoops tree
2005-08 - Texas Tech Running Backs Coach ----- Mike Leach who was his OC at OU in 1999/ 

He was able to learn how to build a winning team from nothing while being a GA at Kansas under Mangino. 2002-2004 recruits won the 2007 orange bowl

And Stoops played, then coached, at Iowa. 

So Littrell comes from the Hayden Fry coaching tree.

Edited by TheWestie
  • Upvote 2

This is the approach I've hoped RV would take when interviewing candidates this time around.  The successful G5 programs become so when led by a coach who has a plan to succeed but ultimate aspirations to lead a higher profile program.  

• Boise - Hawkins/Petersen both left for bigger programs in bigger conferences
  • TCU - Patterson led the program into becoming a bigger program in a bigger conference
  • Houston - Herman...TBD but either of the above scenarios seems plausible

I would love Littrell come in with a personal 5 year plan to build a program successful enough for him to land a higher profile job while also having underneath him being groomed to carry the program if he moved on himself (ie. Hawkins/Petersen). 

• Upvote 1

Same type of things were said about Dodge.

There are 2 sides of the line of scrimmage. I want to know his plan for defense and hope he is asked this very question at the press conference announcement, assuming RV hasnt F'd this whole thing up and there will be a press conference. 

Are you reading, Vito? Ask the damn question. Because it's the most important one to ask. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Same type of things were said about Dodge.

There are 2 sides of the line of scrimmage. I want to know his plan for defense and hope he is asked this very question at the press conference announcement, assuming RV hasnt F'd this whole thing up and there will be a press conference. 

Are you reading, Vito? Ask the damn question. Because it's the most important one to ask. 

No, the same things were not said about Dodge.  The lead story on Dodge was his high school success.  The lead story on Littrell is his college success.  Big difference.

• Upvote 3

He was also a student assistant at OU before he left for Kansas. That is how he met Kevin Wilson.

I'm not sure when Apogee's naming rights end, but I'm the kind of dream-big guy who hopes the next coach here brings the team so much success that the stadium doesn't need someone to pay for naming rights, and provides the new namesake for Apogee.

Maybe, just maybe, if everything goes well, Littrell will be like a Franchione and drop-off a Gary Patterson on his way to a P5 job after raising NT's stock over a 2-3yr stint.

But don't expect Littrell to hang around here longer than he has to if a P5 job comes calling.  And that's exactly the kind of coach we need to hire right now.

• Upvote 3