Texas Arlington (12/3/15)

CMJ

UTA is a well coached team. They know how to attack a 2-3 (one running baseline, one at the elbow, shooter almost baseline outside the 3 point arc), which UNT doesn't do well under Benford and didn't do well under JJ. They move the ball VERY efficiently. They have a plan and execute.

Hervey is a sophomore, will play in the NBA, and has convinced me to come back to watch him again. 

This is the coach we should have hired.

When we could have... 

• Upvote 2

IF C-USA turns out to be especially weak this year, we could be close to .500, which would probably save Benford.  Seems unlikely, but just throwing it out there, as it seems like the only way he could be reasonably expected to squeeze past this season still unscathed.  I'm probably the most patient of all of us, but it's getting to be just plain embarrassing.

I think we shot under 40%...

From the line...

That is discipline, which is coaching.

How Benford has kept a job for 4 years is amazing.

But not as amazing as his boss, who has somehow managed to hang around for 15 without producing squat.

Only at UNT.

IF C-USA turns out to be especially weak this year, we could be close to .500, which would probably save Benford.  Seems unlikely, but just throwing it out there, as it seems like the only way he could be reasonably expected to squeeze past this season still unscathed.  I'm probably the most patient of all of us, but it's getting to be just plain embarrassing.

Benford is gone before Jan 1.

• Upvote 4

Anybody think this team gets over 10 wins this season? I would be surprised if they do. Let's keep in mind the two early wins of the season should NOT count. Seems like both BB and FB coaches will be fired in the same season...thanks, RV.

nuhuh!!! This was not RV's fault. A banner will soon fly to solidify just that. 

• Upvote 5

From the line...

But not as amazing as his boss, who has somehow managed to hang around for 15 without producing squat.

Only at UNT.

To be honest middle schoolers know how to hit free throws. Players practice free throws on their own. Coaches work on fundamentals, but by the time athletes get to variety and beyond there are bigger things to do in practice. The lack of offense and a struggling defense are more on the coach. UTA struggled from the line as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Dude...these predictions have gone on since his first year.  If we lose pretty much every other game this month, you may finally be right, but otherwise...I really don't expect anyone to pull the trigger.  Of course, if you keep saying someone's going to be let go, you'll almost always be right EVENTUALLY...but honestly, even I am kind of surprised he's made it this long.

• Upvote 1

To be honest middle schoolers know how to hit free throws. Players practice free throws on their own. Coaches work on fundamentals, but by the time athletes get to variety and beyond there are bigger things to do in practice. The lack of offense and a struggling defense are more on the coach. UTA struggled from the line as well. 

You know so little about basketball, it's actually stunning at times. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Dude...these predictions have gone on since his first year.  If we lose pretty much every other game this month, you may finally be right, but otherwise...I really don't expect anyone to pull the trigger.  Of course, if you keep saying someone's going to be let go, you'll almost always be right EVENTUALLY...but honestly, even I am kind of surprised he's made it this long.

I think we all are surprised he made it into his 4th year. You can thank a terrible AD for that.

The President has to realize that starting the real basketball season with 7 straight losses could potentially annihilate the remaining support for UNT athletics. This program simply can't take much more, and I think he realizes that.

Its also the final nail in the RV coffin. If not, I'm gone and never coming back. Hell, I already have decided to attend more UTA home games this year than UNT.

This is a great reason to finish the clean out that started with DMac. 

• Upvote 2

I only saw one blimp in that arena, and it wasn't flying..,

I think everyone who regularly attends games at the Pit should go to a UTA home game.

Compare the atmosphere, game presentation, and show to what you get at the Pit,

Its so much better at UTA, it's stunning. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

From the line...

Only at UNT.

Oh, but Benford said in the postgame interview that he doesn't know why the free throw shooting is so bad. Why, they practice free throw shooting at 7:00 a.m. every day; "We call it 'The Early Bird'" he said. Well, they are definitely wormy!

You know so little about basketball, it's actually stunning at times. 

If you say so....  

If you believe that team practices revolve around free throw shooting and ball handling then maybe you should have gone and watched JJ's old squad practice in the snake pit. Or maybe have watched some Fort Worth Flyers practice (since disbanded) and tryouts. Or maybe you can just go off whatever you think. There are so many hours in a week a team can practice and there is always scouting reports and offensive/defensive adjustments that must be made in a short time. Players are asked to shoot free throws usually at the end of practices and then go practice with each other on their individual game. That's why when White and Thompson and the rest were on the team they would go into the indoor soccer court in the rec and close the door. Usually the team and then a few people here or there as fill ins would go and run scrimmages. The players would also shoot free throws and work on their individual games. Set up cones and do ball handling, set up cones around the arc and shoot 25 from 5 spots doing the same move and then the reverse going back. That's all done on their own. Maybe you should have spent more time getting to know the players and coaches and less time typing on a forum. Benford doesn't open up a lot of practices though. JJ opened it up to people from time to time. It's not hard to talk to people and get in. There are also side jobs like running the sticks at the football games or working the scorers table at the basketball games. People do that and get connections. It's not hard. Once you have done that then maybe your eyes will be open.... Maybe.... ? 

I am am sure you are right about many things from RV to the basketball program this year, but when it comes to talking about what happens on the teams and in practices you have little to go off of.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I think we all are surprised he made it into his 4th year. You can thank a terrible AD for that.

The President has to realize that starting the real basketball season with 7 straight losses could potentially annihilate the remaining support for UNT athletics. This program simply can't take much more, and I think he realizes that.

Its also the final nail in the RV coffin. If not, I'm gone and never coming back. Hell, I already have decided to attend more UTA home games this year than UNT.

This is a great reason to finish the clean out that started with DMac. 

This. My hope rests with Smatty on this one because I don't think we've ever had a president before that knew what good basketball looks like, from the coaches on the bench, to the players on the floor, to the promotion of the fan experience. What constraints (financial, political, managerial) he labors under at this moment are unknowns but I hope he will prevail.

Hervey went for 20 points, 15 rebounds, and 7 assists. 

Without playing the last 3:30 of the game.

Such a silky smooth player that he makes it look effortless. 

Great talent evaluation and development by a guy we refused to interview...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

You guys are being too nice. How can a UTA fan talk smack in such an environment?  Good luck the rest of the season!

Because quite frankly, we suck right now and have no really good comeback for it. There, I said it. We can only fire back when we have ammo. We have no ammo.

• Upvote 2