Littrell Staff Speculation

UNT Mean Green

it would be nice to see Ruffin signed as a associate HC/DC role 

this would be huge and I would expect immediate results in recruiting.  UNT needs a little more diversity in the coaching staff.  Having that diversity in a coordinator spot could give UNT a much needed recruiting edge.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ruffin McNeil as the Associate HC and DC would be an unbelievable coup but I doubt he is willing to take that big of a step down. He could be a DC at a competitive p5 with a little patience. 

No doubt, and highly unlikely, but I hope Littrell at least asks.

If he were to be hired by a P5, that hire would need to happen soon.  And if not, then he's still paid his ECU money through 2017.  We just pay him whatever we would pay him.  He could take McCarney's path back to head coaching.  After getting fired at IASt, McCarney took on a D-Coordinator position at USF for a year before moving back up to DL/AsstHC at Florida... then NT.

Like Littrell and anyone else here, if he does well enough with our defense, he'll get a shot at a P5 school and would likely leave.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

A couple of ideas for offensive staff:

Bring in Riley Dodge as Quarterbacks Coach. Although young (27) he is incredibly familiar with the intricacies of the spread offense, is a local hero, has collegiate coaching experience, has done an excellent job as offensive coordinator at Flower Mound Marcus, and is one of our own. The kid can teach the position and can certainly recruit for it.

Try to get J.W. Walsh from Oklahoma State as a Quality Control Quarterbacks Coach or even as a grad assistant if he chooses to go that route. Walsh is a local star quarterback from Denton Guyer High who became the Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year at Oklahoma State prior to injuries that wound up knocking him down the depth chart. He is the son of Guyer head coach John Walsh. Walsh has been at OSU for 5 seasons including a redshirt year, has graduated, and may even be eligible to petition for a sixth year to play since he was injured so early in the 2013 season.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Bring in Riley Dodge as Quarterbacks Coach. Although young (27) he is incredibly familiar with the intricacies of the spread offense, is a local hero, has collegiate coaching experience, has done an excellent job as offensive coordinator at Flower Mound Marcus, and is one of our own. The kid can teach the position and can certainly recruit for it.

Just a clarification, Riley is the Varsity QB Coach at Marcus not the OC.

• Downvote 1

Try to get J.W. Walsh from Oklahoma State as a Quality Control Quarterbacks Coach or even as a grad assistant if he chooses to go that route. Walsh is a local star quarterback from Denton Guyer High who became the Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year at Oklahoma State prior to injuries that wound up knocking him down the depth chart. He is the son of Guyer head coach John Walsh. Walsh has been at OSU for 5 seasons including a redshirt year, has graduated, and may even be eligible to petition for a sixth year to play since he was injured so early in the 2013 season.

I have a feeling Harrell is going to be OC/QBs.

Getting Walsh in as an offensive GA or QC would be nice though!

What are the job duties/responsibilities of a Quality Control Quarterbacks Coach?

Hey, I winged it with that one. That was Riley Dodge's job title at Texas after he graduated from McNeese. I believe it involves assisting with recruiting and developing the quarterbacks. Whatever it is I am sure that Walsh would make a great one.

Just a clarification, Riley is the Varsity QB Coach at Marcus not the OC.

That is what I thought also but I took the information (which is probably inaccurate) directly from Wikipedia. Either way, I think he would be an outstanding addition, and his name value would serve better at the college level than at the high school level. He's like Graham Harrell in that, not only has he had record setting success, he has been raised all his life to be a coach.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1