Littrell Staff Speculation

UNT Mean Green

I was about to say this. The two FCS wins might cost them a chance at the college football playoffs, but it for sure helped them get in the conversation. If those were two games against a G5 and a low tier P5, they might not have won both games and you might currently be looking at a 10-2 team with no shot at the playoffs and Littrell might not look as attractive as a HC. Lots of speculation.

At the end of the day, you win the games you play. And to the person who said OU beat 5 top 25 teams, no. OU beat 2 teams who were ranked in the top 25 when they played them and who are now unranked. Other than that, OU played 3 top 25 teams who will not even garner consideration for the playoffs. If UNC beats #1 unbeaten Clemson, that win should mean more than any of OUs wins.

I hate how ESPN and others show what a team was ranked when you played them. Alabama beat A&M when they were ranked #9. They are now a 4 loss team but it shows Bama beat a top 10 team.

I hate how ESPN and others show what a team was ranked when you played them. Alabama beat A&M when they were ranked #9. They are now a 4 loss team but it shows Bama beat a top 10 team.

It does make at least down sense though. The team you beat was highly ranked, they fell  (at least in part) because you beat them. 

I'd take Harrell in a heartbeat as OC, just because the guy knows a thing or two about QBs. The more QB expertise we can get walking around Apogee and the practice fields, the better, in my opinion. 

As for DC, I like Zac Spavital because his squads got freakin' turnovers. I want a defense that goes after the ball, period!

• Upvote 3

Here is my favorite candidate for defensive coordinator - he teaches really nasty schemes and techniques.

Here he is at the presser as he was introduced for his current position, three years ago:

200.gif

I have mixed feelings on zac spavital.  When he coached at UH, he did not like to press his corners much.  Not sure if it was due to the talent level or DC, but he was big on corners playing off man.  Maybe not 10 yards off, but he liked to give the same look every time.  

On the other hand, his style is something our secondary is already used to.  Safeties are very important in the passing game and stopping the run.  I just hope the corners can at least be 5 to 7 yards off instead of 10.  Bend don't break defense.

I personally would like a DC that will man up, press and blitz more with the secondary.  

The number one question you ask of ANY assistant hired on this staff is can he recruit?  You could be the best x's and o's guy in the country but if you do not have the players it won't matter.  We had a staff under Mac where our highest paid assistants did not or could not recruit. That just does not work.   I am not trying to diminish scheme or experience but those things don't matter unless you can get players who can execute what you are trying to do.  I want EVERY single member of this coaching staff down to the director of operations and graduate assistants to be formidable recruiters.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/17038308/slaughter-joins   

Erik Slaughter, d-line coach at WV. Possible DC. I noticed he followed Meacham and Littrell on Twitter last weekend...Maybe he is looking for a ticket home. 

"Erik brings an extensive background with more than 20 years of coaching experience to the Mountaineer  staff," Holgorsen said. "Having spent his entire career as a coach and a recruiter in the state of Texas also gives him an outstanding knowledge and extensive network base that will increase our recruiting efforts in the Southwest as we enter the Big 12 Conference. I look forward to having him on the coaching staff here."

Slaughter brings 22 years of coaching experience at the high school and collegiate levels. At the collegiate level, he has coached nine all-conference selections, three All-American honorees and has sent two players to the National Football League.

• Upvote 4

I'd take Harrell in a heartbeat as OC, just because the guy knows a thing or two about QBs. The more QB expertise we can get walking around Apogee and the practice fields, the better, in my opinion. 

As for DC, I like Zac Spavital because his squads got freakin' turnovers. I want a defense that goes after the ball, period!

Harrell and the great Johnny Quinn are friends. Quinn has been working at Harrell's football camps the last several years.

• Upvote 4

Erik Slaughter, d-line coach at WV. Possible DC. I noticed he followed Meacham and Littrell on Twitter last weekend...Maybe he is looking for a ticket home. 

"Erik brings an extensive background with more than 20 years of coaching experience to the Mountaineer  staff," Holgorsen said. "Having spent his entire career as a coach and a recruiter in the state of Texas also gives him an outstanding knowledge and extensive network base that will increase our recruiting efforts in the Southwest as we enter the Big 12 Conference. I look forward to having him on the coaching staff here."

Slaughter brings 22 years of coaching experience at the high school and collegiate levels. At the collegiate level, he has coached nine all-conference selections, three All-American honorees and has sent two players to the National Football League.

Welcome to the board Coach Slaughter. I hope you drive up from Coppell to watch the Mean Green play this coming season. As far as you being the DC......Bishop Bullwinkle.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

good find!

The number one question you ask of ANY assistant hired on this staff is can he recruit?  You could be the best x's and o's guy in the country but if you do not have the players it won't matter.  We had a staff under Mac where our highest paid assistants did not or could not recruit. That just does not work.   I am not trying to diminish scheme or experience but those things don't matter unless you can get players who can execute what you are trying to do.  I want EVERY single member of this coaching staff down to the director of operations and graduate assistants to be formidable recruiters.

Did @BillySee58 or anyone else ever answer my question on whether or not there is a limit to the number of coaches that can hit the road recruiting?

• Upvote 1

Did @BillySee58 or anyone else ever answer my question on whether or not there is a limit to the number of coaches that can hit the road recruiting?

NCAA says FBS can have a HC, 9 total assistants and two GA's.  You can also have one S&C coach and an unlimited number of undergraduate assistants but I do not believe any of them are allowed to recruit.  

• Upvote 1

NCAA says FBS can have a HC, 9 total assistants and two GA's.  You can also have one S&C coach and an unlimited number of undergraduate assistants but I do not believe any of them are allowed to recruit.  

But are there any restrictions on the number of those full-time coaches that can go out and recruit? I know Skladany and DeLoach didn't recruit. Right? So was that something that was allowed by the head coaches (and maybe should not be) or was it because you can have X number out there so they were the ones that stayed home?

Just trying to figure out if the DC really needs to be a 'great recruiter' if there are limits. If there are, then I want a great game-day DC and let the position coaches fill the positions based upon the needs of the DCs gameplan.

• Upvote 1

But are there any restrictions on the number of those full-time coaches that can go out and recruit? I know Skladany and DeLoach didn't recruit. Right? So was that something that was allowed by the head coaches (and maybe should not be) or was it because you can have X number out there so they were the ones that stayed home?

Just trying to figure out if the DC really needs to be a 'great recruiter' if there are limits. If there are, then I want a great game-day DC and let the position coaches fill the positions based upon the needs of the DCs gameplan.

I've never heard of any restrictions on the number of paid coaches who can head out and recruit. Only restrictions I'm aware of are those set in place by quiet and dead periods and restrictions on visits for individual recruits.

• Upvote 1

I've never heard of any restrictions on the number of paid coaches who can head out and recruit. Only restrictions I'm aware of are those set in place by quiet and dead periods and restrictions on visits for individual recruits.

Thanks, Billy. I was just trying to make sure, because the number one priority of a new DC (IMHO) needs to be figuring out how to stop the opponent. Since we had prior DCs that really didn't recruit, I was wondering what the reason would have been. 

good find!

I don't know Harry. It seems a bit disingenuous to say he is the d-line coach at WVU when he hasn't been since the '13 season when he was the only coach on staff that wasn't retained. Dude hasn't coached in 2 years I'm not ;sure he has ever coached at the FBS level other than at WVU for a year or two.

My point is after seeing what a mess some of these situations have been, West Virginia Athletic Director Oliver Luck made the right decision at the end of the 2013 season by giving a bode of confidence in Dana Holgorsen.

Holgorsen then made the right decision in keeping the majority of his staff together, with the exception of not renewing Erik Slaughter’s contract and hiring Miramar’s Damon Cogdell, leaving eight of nine staff members returning this season.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Billy. I was just trying to make sure, because the number one priority of a new DC (IMHO) needs to be figuring out how to stop the opponent. Since we had prior DCs that really didn't recruit, I was wondering what the reason would have been. 

All I want is a DC that has a vision of total domination of offenses and will tell his D-line coach to go out and recruit several sasquatch that can control the line of scrimmage.

• Upvote 3