Littrell Staff Speculation

UNT Mean Green

Tommy perry and Kevin patrick.

I seriously don't understand the obsession everyone has with Kevin Patrick. Sure he can recruit decently, but our d-line has consistently been blown off the ball all season long. Great resumes don't mean jack if you can't build on them. If your d-line is bad, it makes your linebackers look bad, and in turn makes the secondary look bad. Not to say he is the sole reason the defense was bad, because Cosh is an idiot, but his d-line definitely did not help the problem.

• Upvote 7

I seriously don't understand the obsession everyone has with Kevin Patrick. Sure he can recruit decently, but our d-line has consistently been blown off the ball all season long. Great resumes don't mean jack if you can't build on them. If your d-line is bad, it makes your linebackers look bad, and in turn makes the secondary look bad. Not to say he is the sole reason the defense was bad, because Cosh is an idiot, but his d-line definitely did not help the problem.

I agree, I just won't be surprised to see these two remain.  Especially the longer we wait to name a coach.  There has to be someone out there currently recruiting for UNT.

Why can't we formally announce him this week. Who cares if he wants to finish out his next game knowing he will be elsewhere next year. It was fine for Dodge to do it.  We need to get rolling. After all, he isn't a HC there, so they need to figure out a way now that he is in charge of somewhere else.   

Patrick has failed with the DLine. We have 19 sacks this year, 65 tackles for loss, 120th ranked rushing defense, 98th ranked red zone defense. Patrick has not done his job. Tommy Perry has a shot at being retained. We could also see Byrd, Ybarbo, or Summerfield promoted.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some on here have mentioned about hiring high school coaches as assistants. If Littrell is hired, he could hire Celina head coach Bill Elliott as a position coach & also bring along Bill's son Nathan who is a redshirt freshman QB at North Carolina.

• Upvote 7

Why can't we formally announce him this week. Who cares if he wants to finish out his next game knowing he will be elsewhere next year. It was fine for Dodge to do it.  We need to get rolling. After all, he isn't a HC there, so they need to figure out a way now that he is in charge of somewhere else.   

UNC still has an outside chance of making it into the CFB if some things fall their way. Fedora needs zero distractions for his staff, and this would be a big one.

EDIT: After seeing the "Meacham Pulls Out" thread I have reconsidered. You are right Travis. We need an agreement from Littrell NOW.

Edited by Eagle-96

UNC still has an outside chance of making it into the CFB if some things fall their way. Fedora needs zero distractions for his staff, and this would be a big one.

Yep.  They would need a win and probably a Stanford loss ... and even then Ohio State could be ahead of them.   I'm rooting for UNC to win but for this reason I kinda hope they lose. 

• Upvote 3

Look at the d-line signees this team had left from the 2011-2013 classes, before Patrick got here. Those guys were the third year through fifth year d-linemen, who should be your main guys on the d-line.

Other than Syd Moore, who was our only high school d-lineman signed in the 2013 class, the other guys had very few or no other offers (shocker). Maybe our best DT was a true freshman who did have a good offer list and KP was able to flip from Nevada in Rod Young. Maybe KP is overrated, but I would like to see him bring in a few classes of his own guys and see our d-line with a bunch of his recruits.

• Upvote 3

I doubt UNC makes it in unless they simply destroy Clemson like OSU did to Wisconsin last year. They have too many places to jump. OU is in, Michigan State or Iowa is in, most likely Bama takes care of the Gators, and that leaves one open spot. Would they jump both a Pac12 champion Stanford and everyone's darling one-loss Ohio State? I don't think the TV powers that be would allow that.

Although it will be to our detriment, I'm rooting for Coach L and UNC to make it to the playoffs because I think he deserves it, I just don't see it happening.

IS it to our detriment to have the OC/Offensive Manager, whatever you want to call him of the National Champs as our HC?  How could that do ANYTHING but help recruiting? I'd love to see him go all the way and then announce the next day he's coming to Denton.  

• Upvote 4

IS it to our detriment to have the OC/Offensive Manager, whatever you want to call him of the National Champs as our HC?  How could that do ANYTHING but help recruiting? I'd love to see him go all the way and then announce the next day he's coming to Denton.  

Tom Herman leaving for UH was brought up multiple times last season during tOSU's run

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Unless we have audio or Video of Littrell saying that he is going to be the new head coach Of UNT then Dont get to invested in potential staff. If anyone knows how to F up a wet dream, its RV.

I would take a signed contract too

This.  

I'm very nervous that the AD has screwed this whole thing up and we're going to end up with some spare after all the other programs have made their picks.

• Upvote 1

Questioning our strength and conditioning staff always seems to be off limits around here, but I sure didn't see much strength or conditioning on this team.

Yep.  Canales made mention that we had guys who just weren't getting larger.  The guy we have now has only been here for a year so no telling if he can be part of the answer.  I would expect a new coach to bring in his own guy, though. 

I would look for people from the Leach coaching tree.

Good point. He will want complete continuity on offense. Naturally, the first place to look would be immediate potential candidates on Leach's staff at WazZu with Texas ties:

Clay McGuire

Graham Harrell

Then expanding from there:

James Patton - Indiana

Dennis Simmons - OU

Bill Bedenbaugh - OU

Kerry Cooks - OU

Brandon Jones - Cal

Brian Mitchell - West Virginia

Zach Spavital - Texas Tech

Jeff Lebby - Baylor

Joe John Finley - Baylor