"We love Rick Villarreal" banner coming soon

UNT90

Yes. There has been more talk about Rick Villarreal's dismal performance as UNT AD in the press and social media than ever before. The banner and the stories about its purchase helped make that happen. Villarreal asked Smatresk for a public vote of confidence and didn't get it, per news coverage. Do you think Villarreal would have felt the need to seek a public vote of confidence without our fan mutiny?

This is correct. Mark is just trying to spin things.

Do you think Sidway gets a 2 hour sit down with RV where RV defends his legacy by lying about basketball attendance (and god knows what else) without the banner and the accompanying media?

Hell no. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Here, I'll save everyone a lot of money:

Make ONE [very short] video presenting facts and stats on why you like or don't like RV. Put it up on the internets and let it fly (see what I did there).

Take the $1,300 and donate it to MGC, CAS, etc, or Salvation Army. Everyone wins!

(Oh and give UNT90 and whoever led the fundraiser for the counter-banner jobs in the Athletic department cause apparently they are a lot better at reaching out to the fan base at large)

win win win

MichaelScott.png
  • Upvote 7

WE all have the right to our own opinion. I don't ask anyone on this board to justify theirs nor feel it necessary to justify mine.

On this we agree.

I know you mean well, but this is why we are what we are. If you are fine with it, that's your business.

Personally, I wish both banners would have flown the same day, as that would have created more media. 

I am glad this banner will fly, strange as that sounds. It will bring attention back to the previous banner and will also refocus attention of RV's miserable performance as AD. Right when the coaching hire had the ability to distract from that terrible record.

So... Thanks?

• Upvote 6

WE all have the right to our own opinion. I don't ask anyone on this board to justify theirs nor feel it necessary to justify mine.

You love RV enough to pay for a banner, but won't answer a question why?

That's unexpected. I think I've posted a hundred reasons by now why I donated money for the "Fire Rick Villarreal" banner. I'm tired of having Toonces the Driving Cat in charge of our athletics program. At some point we have to ask ourselves, "Why the hell do we keep letting him drive?"

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I hope that UNTLifer now understands what we trying to post about yesterday, regarding the UNT 17.

RV ain't going anywhere, anytime soon. The $$$$ that will leave is too much for the BOR to risk.

The RV 17 is what I'm gonna now refer to them as going forward...awesome program you guys have built!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here, I'll save everyone a lot of money:

Make ONE [very short] video presenting facts and stats on why you like or don't like RV. Put it up on the internets and let it fly (see what I did there).

Take the $1,300 and donate it to MGC, CAS, etc, or Salvation Army. Everyone wins!

(Oh and give UNT90 and whoever led the fundraiser for the counter-banner jobs in the Athletic department cause apparently they are a lot better at reaching out to the fan base at large)

win win win

MichaelScott.png

I was going to suggest an alternative, buying newspaper exposure, but I like Aldo's idea better. Content should show fifteen-year history of attendance, failed hiring, GMG membership trends, administrative failures, and all the rest of the things we know about. Show charts and graphs for quick comprehension. Make it not just for football but itemize by revenue sport. Make it a no-BS, clinical dissection of inept leadership over fifteen years. Make sure all members of BOR and Smatty get a personal DVD so they get the message. See that media outlets get a copy. Deliver a blow! Absolutely nothing libelous, nothing personal, just the clinical facts.

Go big or go home.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

On this we agree.

I know you mean well, but this is why we are what we are. If you are fine with it, that's your business.

Personally, I wish both banners would have flown the same day, as that would have created more media. 

I am glad this banner will fly, strange as that sounds. It will bring attention back to the previous banner and will also refocus attention of RV's miserable performance as AD. Right when the coaching hire had the ability to distract from that terrible record.

So... Thanks?

I agree with this.  Anything that gets people thinking about RV's performance is a bad thing for RV.  

• Upvote 1

Yet, you ask everybody who will be holding back money what their donation level is. 

Obviously it's friendship. Nobody on the pro RV side can give any real reasons as to why he should stay other than "vision"

I have it on even better authority that RV did not pay for that banner.  People, you are letting your imaginations get the best of you.  The banner in question was to fly the same day, over the same game, as the anti banner flew, but weather grounded both.  I have to assume that banner was also bought and paid for, so it will fly at a newly appointed time just like the anti banner did.

Anyone here think either banner had or will have any actual  effect on the situation at all?  Just think, the funds could have been used for a much more lasting reason such as funding scholarships for worthy UNT athletes who will help "right the ship" for UNT fans everywhere.  Instead, we get opposing groups of fans just tossing money at banners that are seen by few, do absolutely nothing but sweeten the banner company and pilots pockets, give a few folks some short-term jollies, further split the fan base and give some reporters a new story to write.  Yep, we are definitely in a funk these days.  

Are you going to be calling the organizer of the pro RV banner out for a bait and switch?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

God I think that is awesome! Really good news to me! 

Any idea when this goes? 

I really think it could not be a better idea. 

Good for the pro guys!!!!!!!!

Edited by KingDL1

Are you going to be calling the organizer of the pro RV banner out for a bait and switch?

Hmmmm...no, because I have no idea what the guidelines were for the folks running this or donating to it like we all had for the first banner....it was to fly at a football game...one of the last two depending upon weather.  Money was to be returned if it did not fly.  The organizer changed the deal and flew it on some random day over the campus.  As it turned out, for the banner boys, that was a decision that at least lead to its flight as the plane would probably have been grounded for UTEP as well.  Did the original banner organizer offer each and every donor the opportunity for a refund since the game plan was changed mid-stream from the original?  Every donor get a PM or email asking if they wanted a refund?  If so, OK...if not...bait and switch.  Since I have no clue regarding such things for the alternative banner, I simply cannot say one way or the other.

My opinion remains that much better good could have come from those funds...both banners...should they have been used to help fund scholarships.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The organizer changed the deal and flew it on some random day over the campus.  

Why do you keep pushing this when it has been confirmed by folks that donated that everyone was included in the change?

But I agree, money is best spent through more productive mediums.

• Upvote 2

lol. Not his agenda. But good memory on your part. 

Just to be clear, my agenda is to hold the AD accountable for a terrible job performance.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hmmmm...no, because I have no idea what the guidelines were for the folks running this or donating to it like we all had for the first banner....it was to fly at a football game...one of the last two depending upon weather.  Money was to be returned if it did not fly.  The organizer changed the deal and flew it on some random day over the campus.  As it turned out, for the banner boys, that was a decision that at least lead to its flight as the plane would probably have been grounded for UTEP as well.  Did the original banner organizer offer each and every donor the opportunity for a refund since the game plan was changed mid-stream from the original?  Every donor get a PM or email asking if they wanted a refund?  If so, OK...if not...bait and switch.  Since I have no clue regarding such things for the alternative banner, I simply cannot say one way or the other.

My opinion remains that much better good could have come from those funds...both banners...should they have been used to help fund scholarships.  

Oh, but you were quick to jump down my throat, even though every LEGITIMATE donor was given the opportunity to withdraw if they wanted to.

The donor who donated $17 under the name RV was not, as I was very unsure if it was a legit donation. He can also contact me through the gofundme site and I'll get him his $17.

So, just to be clear, you only are the UNT athletic police for those with whom you disagree.

Got it...

Why do you keep pushing this when it has been confirmed by folks that donated that everyone was included in the change?

It's his agenda. And he is probably pissed that he didn't have time to schedule his competing banner (which was planned).

He should just keep his nose out of things that aren't his business...

EDIT 2:  Okay, the "Sincerely" banner (below) is too funny to pass up, if people are willing to pay for that.

Let him have it.

EDIT 1:  I fear it could give the impression that fans don't approve of the coaching hire, which is not a good way to start the relationship with our new head coach.  We've always been a loyal-to-a-fault fan base, but that is not how the banner would make us appear to the new coach.  Also, the first banner got people's attention and made them ask questions. This one wouldn't appear to mean anything to the layperson other than saying that someone can't let a grudge go.  It could appear kind of childish, like yelling over someone else trying to talk.

I will promise you that the new head coach is fully aware of the previous banner and RV's actual status as AD.

His agent will have done a ton of research before allowing him to take this job. The agent has probably even had people check out this board.

• Upvote 3