"We love Rick Villarreal" banner coming soon

UNT90

I have it on ROCK SOLID authority that a support banner for RV, probably paid for by RV himself, will fly very soon. My guess would be the day the coaching hire is announced. 

I can easily find out the date and time.

The question is do we want to do anything about it or let him have his banner day? We could always fly an opposing banner at the same time.

It is pretty clear that the billboard will not make it, and I will be refunding that money soon. 

As always, the response to this post will determine what is done. If we are going to do something, it will need to be done quickly...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

EDIT 2:  Okay, the "Sincerely" banner (below) is too funny to pass up, if people are willing to pay for that.

Let him have it.

EDIT 1:  I fear it could give the impression that fans don't approve of the coaching hire, which is not a good way to start the relationship with our new head coach.  We've always been a loyal-to-a-fault fan base, but that is not how the banner would make us appear to the new coach.  Also, the first banner got people's attention and made them ask questions. This one wouldn't appear to mean anything to the layperson other than saying that someone can't let a grudge go.  It could appear kind of childish, like yelling over someone else trying to talk.

Edited by Tyler Maryak

Counter banner with NT's revenue sports record over the past three years, how many coaches have been hired/fired during his time. I think we can put the money donated towards that. Find the time/flight path of it and immediately afterwards have it flown.

Edited by Silent Eagle
Additional thoughts
  • Upvote 4

Honestly, he must be getting nervous and betting on the "Les Miles approach."  He's hoping a show of support from his "fans" trumps his terrible and unacceptable record and poor AD decision making. The heat must be rising in the kitchen.

Les Miles, of course, had a good record and the fans supported him; thus, the admin kept him.  If this banner does fly, and it is funded by the crypt keeper himself, it will be par for the course as it will show you his willingness to deceive and his level of greed...and unfortunately with no surprise to anyone,  the admin may just buy it.  It's come to this.  

I'll pitch in on the counter banner.  

• Upvote 2

I do know that banner will fly, but just want to make very clear that I don't know who is paying for it. I do have good reason to believe that if it isn't RV himself, it's supported by members of his immediate family, which is understandable but still weird.

Only at North Texas. 

I'll be sending messages to those who have contributed for the billboard to see if they want to change direction since it doesn't appear that will fund. It is completely up to each individual donor on what they want to do with their money. 

It seems the AD has won.

Did he?  That plane with a banner on it may have defeated us. But RV and 90 won't stop there. 

They'll make bigger planes and bigger banners, and soon, they will make a plane with a banner so big, it will destroy them all!
Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 5

The pro R.V. banner was funded by UNT fans who just happen to respectfully disagree with those who would have him fired. Rick Villarreal knew nothing about it. I know, because I contributed to the fund.[I am not a member of the 17 alumni whom some mistakenly feel control athletics]. Do to poor weather the banner was not flown.While I have only had one conversation with our new president,my take-a way message was that he is his own man who does not like to be pushed into a corner and probably very involved in the hiring of our new coach. He has dealt with Las Vegas high rolling boosters and I'm sure can deal with the handful of major donators at North Texas.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

I do have good reason to believe that if it isn't RV himself, it's supported by members of his immediate family, which is understandable but still weird.

So his family loves him. I'm happy for him. It would suck if they also thought there should be a change at AD.

I think we should use the billboard money to fly a banner over SMU's campus during a school day:

Hire Rick Villarreal

It might get some national press. I'm not aware of another group of fans who have wanted their AD out enough to seek a new job for him with a rival.

I have it on even better authority that RV did not pay for that banner.  People, you are letting your imaginations get the best of you.  The banner in question was to fly the same day, over the same game, as the anti banner flew, but weather grounded both.  I have to assume that banner was also bought and paid for, so it will fly at a newly appointed time just like the anti banner did.

Anyone here think either banner had or will have any actual  effect on the situation at all?  Just think, the funds could have been used for a much more lasting reason such as funding scholarships for worthy UNT athletes who will help "right the ship" for UNT fans everywhere.  Instead, we get opposing groups of fans just tossing money at banners that are seen by few, do absolutely nothing but sweeten the banner company and pilots pockets, give a few folks some short-term jollies, further split the fan base and give some reporters a new story to write.  Yep, we are definitely in a funk these days.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

So his family loves him. I'm happy for him. It would suck if they also thought there should be a change at AD.

I think we should use the billboard money to fly a banner over SMU's campus during a school day:

Hire Rick Villarreal

It might get some national press. I'm not aware of another group of fans who have wanted their AD out enough to seek a new job for him with a rival.

now that's funny.

• Upvote 1

I have it on even better authority that RV did not pay for that banner.  People, you are letting your imaginations get the best of you.  The banner in question was to fly the same day, over the same game, as the anti banner flew, but weather grounded both.  I have to assume that banner was also bought and paid for, so it will fly at a newly appointed time just like the anti banner did.

Anyone here think either banner had or will have any actual  effect on the situation at all?  Just think, the funds could have been used for a much more lasting reason such as funding scholarships for worthy UNT athletes who will help "right the ship" for UNT fans everywhere.  Instead, we get opposing groups of fans just tossing money at banners that are seen by few, do absolutely nothing but sweeten the banner company and pilots pockets, give a few folks some short-term jollies, further split the fan base and give some reporters a new story to write.  Yep, we are definitely in a funk these days.  

Hey we are North Texas we make bad decisions on every level.

Yes. There has been more talk about Rick Villarreal's dismal performance as UNT AD in the press and social media than ever before. The banner and the stories about its purchase helped make that happen. Villarreal asked Smatresk for a public vote of confidence and didn't get it, per news coverage. Do you think Villarreal would have felt the need to seek a public vote of confidence without our fan mutiny?

This. 

• Upvote 1

Ah yes... this is why our university can't get any traction or respect in Texas and nationally (ok great, we have the 13th best music school) because we are arguing over f***in banners. I'm sick of banner talk and wish both pro and anti-RV would consider donating to other causes in the university (especially in athletics) 

That $1000 each side donated for a banner? Hey, maybe to help with student involvement we could've thrown some sort of giant UNT tailgate and introduce students to some of the great people on here (which could empower them to support after they graduate). Maybe that could've gone to extra money for the scholarship fund for the cheerleaders. Or maybe it could fund a GMG bar tab/food tab at a place that we on the board consider pro-UNT.

Look, I despise this athletics department just as much as anyone. I'll always remember Eric Capper saying my freshman year that I was too much of a fan to work in athletics because I painted myself for games when others didnt (I was also 18) which angered me to this day. I think Rick V should go. I think a lot of things. But banners are a waste of money.

Sorry if that was a bunch of rambling 

• Upvote 5

The pro R.V. banner was funded by UNT fans who just happen to respectfully disagree with those who would have him fired. Rick Villarreal knew nothing about it. I know, because I contributed to the fund.

This is a sincere question: What do you love about RV that makes you want him to continue running UNT athletics? He's had 14 years to show us what he can do, and the results on the field have been dismal. The improvements in facilities under his watch are laudable, but the net result has been a sea of empty seats in a nicer football stadium and the Super Pit. Any coach who is competing with UNT for a recruit can one up us by showing crowd shots at our games. RV also has never hit his goals for Mean Green Club membership -- all the losing, the lame scheduling and long-standing PR problems like ticket delivery have been an ass-whipping to the fan base.

RV had a chance to take accountability and show leadership after the McCarney firing. He could have admitted his mistakes and put forward his vision for why he should continue to lead athletics. Instead, he's still talking about empty seats at Fouts when he arrived in 2001 and saying that every hire he made was a good one at the time.

Surely there's a point at which you would say that we need a change at AD. Why haven't you reached that point with RV? 

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1