Star telegram UPDATE (PLOT TWIST)

TheReal_jayD

Carlos Mendez is really covering himself in glory today. I like how he talks about there being a "rise of confusing reports" without mentioning that his original story was the source of that confusion. Smooth.

The Star-Telegram has dropped that original story in the memory hole, as if Mendez never reported it.

• Upvote 4

No he's not, his title is "Assistant Head Coach for Offense/Tight Ends Coach"

They have two Co-Offensive Coordinators.  Brewer and Kapilovic

I was confused about that at first too, but take my word for it -- he calls the plays and has for awhile.  To me that is OC.  The rest is just semantics.

Fair enough - I humbly stand corrected.

These guys are really close and a big step-ups from where McCarney was when he was hired IMO. Both are play callers for two top-10 offenses in all of FBS. Their teams offensive statistics are really close. TCU is #11 in the country and UNC is #8. Meacham had the edge for me because he is a local guy but looks like that's not in the cards. 

• Upvote 3

I really don't understand the angst out there about this.  It sounds like Littrell is our top choice so we have to wait a week.  We've known this would happen since the finalists were leaked.  It could be that Meacham was the first choice and turned us down but that goes against this latest report and against what his nephew twitted.  Of course, "not offered the job" could just be semantics.  Either way, we have to wait a week for Littrell.  I'm sure we have an "agreement" with him if not a contract all but signed.  I'm not worried about someone snatching him away in the last week.  It could happen but doubtful in my opinion.  In this week he should be giving UNC his all but he'll also be making calls to potiential assistant coaches so it's not a totally wasted week.

For all the RV haters (myself included), he's actually playing this as well as he can.  There's no harm in waiting a week to get the right guy.  Besides, think of all the additional press coverage we're getting.  

Do you prefer Meacham over Littrell?  I don't blame you.  I think I would have prefered Meacham for his extensive experience and Texas contacts, but I love Littrell's youth and energy.  Either is a great hire for us.  As BillSee pointed out, being young gives Littrell an advantage Meacham doesn't have.  

Disclaimer:  what if next week comes and Littrell isn't the hire?  What if there really is a secret candidate?  GMG board might melt down. :)

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 1