Herman says Agreement in place to stay at Houston

HOUSTON -- Houston coach Tom Herman said Monday that he has agreed in principle to a new contract to stay with the Cougars.

At his weekly news conference, Herman said details of the contract still need to be worked out, but he and the Cougars "are moving in the right directions on the generalities" of a deal. Herman, who is in his first year as Houston's coach, has the Cougars at 11-1 and playing for the American Athletic Conference championship against Temple (10-2) on Saturday (noon ET, ABC).

The former Ohio State offensive coordinator has been a popular name discussed for numerous Power 5 conference head-coaching openings. On Nov. 20, Houston's board of regents approved school president Renu Khator and board chairman Tilman Fertitta to negotiate a new contract with Herman that would give him a raise to at least $3 million per year.

Herman made it clear Monday that the deal isn't finalized but that he doesn't anticipate any obstacles in the negotiations. He declined to speak on specifics of the new contract.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14259740/tom-herman-says-agreement-stay-houston-cougars-coach 

This Houston thing is strange to me. Have the BOR approve $3 million before a deal is reached? 

Did the negotiations go like this:

AD: So what number are you thinking about, Tom?

Hermann: $3 million

AD: Ouch, really? I was thinking like $2 million.

Hermann: $3 million

AD Yeah, Tom, I am not sure I would be able to do 3. How about 2.2?

Hermann: Idiot it was publicly announced that you can do 3 million.

AD: Ok fine $3 million.