Texas going after Sonny Cumbie

Cr1028

It now concerns me that Meacham is leveraging for a hefty raise by delaying a decision until tonight or tomorrow. Gives TCU the chance to counter. 

More likely meacham has been weighing the pros and cons with his family. Patterson may have swooped in to make a last ditch effort to keep Meacham if Cumbie looks to be gone. This doesn't smell like Meacham leverage to me.

http://footballscoop.com/news/why-the-north-texas-vacancy-has-become-central-to-the-coaching-market/

So reading this article makes it sound like we've offered to the job to Meacham and he's considering and will make a decision today or tomorrow.  The original plan for the Frogs was that if Meacham left Cumbie would be the OC.  However, if Cumbie leaves does Meacham stay at TCU with a healthy raise?  The fact that Cumbie hasn't left yet makes it seem like he may prefer to stay at TCU (or he's still trying to get more money from Texas).  Sounds like this could all be decided sometime today or tomorrow when Meacham makes his decision.

All of this is fine because we've got Littrell to fall back on, correct?  If UNC somehow makes it to the final four (which would probably take a loss by Alabama as well as UNC beating Clemson and Stanford losing to USC ... so there is a chance) then Fedora would want Littrell to stay through the playoffs?  Would Littrell agree to that?  If he does then we could lose our number one and number two choices because we can't really wait until January to hire someone without killing this recruiting season.

Then if Patterson is talking with another school then that complicates things even further.  

So all of the above may or may not be accurate but it makes sense and may be the most likely.  If it is true then we should know about Meacham within a day and then pray UNC doesn't make the final four.  If everything goes wrong for UNT then the "mystery" candidate becomes important.  

http://footballscoop.com/news/why-the-north-texas-vacancy-has-become-central-to-the-coaching-market/

So reading this article makes it sound like we've offered to the job to Meacham and he's considering and will make a decision today or tomorrow.  The original plan for the Frogs was that if Meacham left Cumbie would be the OC.  However, if Cumbie leaves does Meacham stay at TCU with a healthy raise?  The fact that Cumbie hasn't left yet makes it seem like he may prefer to stay at TCU (or he's still trying to get more money from Texas).  Sounds like this could all be decided sometime today or tomorrow when Meacham makes his decision.

All of this is fine because we've got Littrell to fall back on, correct?  If UNC somehow makes it to the final four (which would probably take a loss by Alabama as well as UNC beating Clemson and Stanford losing to USC ... so there is a chance) then Fedora would want Littrell to stay through the playoffs?  Would Littrell agree to that?  If he does then we could lose our number one and number two choices because we can't really wait until January to hire someone without killing this recruiting season.

Then if Patterson is talking with another school then that complicates things even further.  

So all of the above may or may not be accurate but it makes sense and may be the most likely.  If it is true then we should know about Meacham within a day and then pray UNC doesn't make the final four.  If everything goes wrong for UNT then the "mystery" candidate becomes important.  

IMO: If Meacham tells us no then Cumbie bolts to UT to become the lone OC and Meacham stays as the lone OC at TCU. If Meacham tells us yes then Cumbie can get into a bidding war between UT and TCU for his services.

• Upvote 2

IMO: If Meacham tells us no then Cumbie bolts to UT to become the lone OC and Meacham stays as the lone OC at TCU. If Meacham tells us yes then Cumbie can get into a bidding war between UT and TCU for his services.

Seems the most likely solution.

However, if Patterson is serious about going somewhere else then they may want to stay and see if he becomes the next head coach at TCU.  

If Meachams hesitation is bc of money (and I'm not sure TCU is even willing to match or exceed what we'll pay him) then he can piss off. I want a guy that WANTS to be here and if Meacham ends up here or not it's apparent we are currently nothing but a bargaining chip. 

To me it's more likely that any bargaining overtures are coming from TCU in the realization that they may lose both of the OCs. Meacham would be a moron to not at least listen to what Patterson has to say. I'm not sure I would want someone coaching our team that is not smart enough to listen to what Patterson has to say. I think Cumbie is waiting on what Meacham decides and then the dominoes fall. You have to know that Cumbie is praying that Meacham tells us yes because he could then write his figure on the contract from UT or TCU.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

To me it's more likely that any bargaining overtures are coming from TCU in the realization that they may lose both of the OCs. Meacham would be a moron to not at least listen to what Patterson has to say. I'm not sure I would want someone coaching our team that is too stupid to listen to what Patterson has to say. I think Cumbie is waiting on what Meacham decides and then the dominoes fall. You have to know that Cumbie is praying that Meacham tells us yes because he could then write his figure on the contract from UT or TCU.

I understand that, but TCU isn't giving the guy a 66% raise which is likely what he'll be paid if he comes to Denton. Call Littrell and offer him. I'm tired of the BS. 

I'm totally in favor of whatever hurts TCU in any way :).  SMU as well for that matter.

I can get behind this. 

To me it's more likely that any bargaining overtures are coming from TCU in the realization that they may lose both of the OCs. Meacham would be a moron to not at least listen to what Patterson has to say. I'm not sure I would want someone coaching our team that is too stupid to listen to what Patterson has to say. I think Cumbie is waiting on what Meacham decides and then the dominoes fall. You have to know that Cumbie is praying that Meacham tells us yes because he could then write his figure on the contract from UT or TCU.

Exactly, It is looking more along the lines of being in favor for UNT. But we all know our luck here at North Texas.... Every time I try to predict something here, I pretty much get proved wrong.

I do think we have a good shot. Cumbie has two Big 12 teams he can be OC for, and I don't think TCU will not refuse to up his salary a bit. The one hope I have in favor of UNT for Meachum, is the fact that we have a HC opportunity (better shot at moving into the P5 HC field faster if successful) and that Meacham seems to be a homebody. He doesn't want to be moved around to places. And Denton is not that far from Ft. Worth....

Edited by GreenTexan13