Sunday night coach search update

Harry

TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham interviewed with UNT officials on Sunday as the school moved closer to selecting a coach to replace Dan McCarney.

North Carolina assistant Seth Littrell is other coach still in the running for the job.

UNT athletic department officials did not return messages seeking comment on where the school stands in the process, but a source close to players who were at a team meeting on Sunday indicated that Meacham will be UNT’s pick and will accept the job.

UNT’s coaches did not inform the players of who the school would offer the job, but a source said some of the team’s veterans were given the indication that Meacham will be the school’s pick.

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/11/sunday-night-coach-search-update.html/

Edited by Harry

• Harry featured this topic

Have to do SOMETHING to get the Letterman's Assoc. numbers up.  

Especially when most of the current members can't stand the current AD...

Probably the reason the head count is so low.

But, hey, he keeps fly and the 17 happy, and that's all that matters, apparently...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

A question...why would a UNT official tell the outgoing seniors that they'd announce a new head coach? What do the seniors care?

It wouldn't make sense to tell the outgoing seniors early. That's more people who could leak it, and they don't have a direct stake in the decision like the returning players.

I am guessing the players being told are all experienced players coming back.

It makes sense Meachem seems like the safe choice. It's what RV does. But he's not a young exciting offensive coordinator. That would appear to be Littrell, who rose very quickly. Littrell seems more like Lincoln Riley which was supposedly what RV wanted. Guy has risen through the ranks extremely fast.

I don't know nor have ever met either guy, but Littrell seems like the more exciting choice, and we need to be taking chances.

• Upvote 2

It makes sense Meachem seems like the safe choice. It's what RV does. But he's not a young exciting offensive coordinator. That would appear to be Littrell, who rose very quickly. Littrell seems more like Lincoln Riley which was supposedly what RV wanted. Guy has risen through the ranks extremely fast.

I don't know nor have ever met either guy, but Littrell seems like the more exciting choice, and we need to be taking chances.

if we have learned anything over the past 15 years with this AD and his words on what he wants in  coach, it's that most of his hires don't match his words

• Upvote 1

So now RV has an out of this hire fails? It's ok, I'm sure #ADforlife would never use it...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Exactly, I think LIttrell has a higher ceiling than Meacham, although he still isn't what I would call a bad choice.

There is not a chance in H*ll all players would keep it a secret if they were told WHO the next coach would be.   All we know is that they were told a decision was made.

Exactly, as much crap that our players put up on twitter, you can bet one of them would've leaked it, especially certain outgoing seniors.

• Upvote 1

If it was going to be Meacham, in my opinion, it would have been FORMALLY announced yesterday. Vito’s blog predicting the Meacham hire was conjecture based on the tweet from Tony Johnson’s dad, which I know was bad information.

The recruiting contact period just opened up again. If Meacham was going to be the guy they would have announced the hire yesterday, thrown some car keys at him, told him to round up his coaching staff and show his face in as many DFW high schools as possible today

Meacham’s season is over. His new job would be way more important than getting TCU ready for some dead-end bowl game. In my semi-informed opinion, the only reason the hire hasn’t been announced yet is because the future coach is still playing a game that has national championship ramifications.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Especially when most of the current members can't stand the current AD...

Probably the reason the head count is so low.

But, hey, he keeps fly and the 17 happy, and that's all that matters, apparently...

Just how do you know what "most of the current members" think or don't think about the current AD?  I speculate here, but my guess is that one or two whom you happen to know said something to that effect and you immediately jump on it as if it were the gospel truth because it supports your opinions on the subject.  Secondhand info is just that...secondhand...and worth pretty much nothing except to possibly know one person's opinion who is projecting his/her opinion on others.  I would think that overall, the Lettermen actually active in the Association or who even support UNT these days are pretty much split on the matter as most such organizations would be as a general rule in such situations.

• Upvote 1

I do not believe that any players from this year team knows who is hired yet.  The team may meet the new coach prior to the press conference, or right after.  I do think that it is possible that some players might have seen a candidate on campus, or even talked to a candidate which may be leading to this.   I could be wrong, but this is what I would expect to happen.

• Upvote 1

Just how do you know what "most of the current members" think or don't think about the current AD?  I speculate here, but my guess is that one or two whom you happen to know said something to that effect and you immediately jump on it as if it were the gospel truth because it supports your opinions on the subject.  Secondhand info is just that...secondhand...and worth pretty much nothing except to possibly know one person's opinion who is projecting his/her opinion on others.  I would think that overall, the Lettermen actually active in the Association or who even support UNT these days are pretty much split on the matter as most such organizations would be as a general rule in such situations.

Active in the association? And how many would that be? 

I do know that a whole 7 teams made the golf tournament...

Active in the association? And how many would that be? 

I do know that a whole 7 teams made the golf tournament...

Not everyone is a golfer or could play that day. So, how does this relate at all to you indicating that you know what a majority of current members think of RV?

• Upvote 1