The FINAL 2015 UNT Head Coaching POLL

Harry

Who do you want to see as the next head coach for UNT?   

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see as the next head coach for UNT?

• Doug Meacham - TCU
    • Seth Littrell - North Carolina

Meacham.  Texas ties DO matter.  And not ties that are 7 years old.

Littrell has plenty of Texas Ties, he was under Leech at Tech.

I have read more this morning he is 37 and seems to be on a fast track to greatness I like that and his age.

Edited by KingDL1

Littrell has plenty of Texas Ties, he was under Leech at Tech.

I have read more this morning he is 37 and seems to be on a fast track to greatness I like that and his age.

that's why I included to qualifier not ties that are 7 years old...we will need to focus on DFW athletes.  We need someone with a strong relationship with that environment.  

For the record, I like Littrell but I like Meach a hell of a lot better.

• Upvote 2

Meacham.  Texas ties DO matter.  And not ties that are 7 years old.

With the amount of talent in this state and in this area if the coach is good, competent and knows how to build relationship along with his staff then no it won't matter. As I've said in other posts we're not Wyoming where you really need to know how to recruit and lure people from other states to play there.

No disrespect to Wyoming btw.

• Upvote 1

With the amount of talent in this state and in this area if the coach is good, competent and knows how to build relationship along with his staff then no it won't matter. As I've said in other posts we're not Wyoming where you really need to know how to recruit and lure people from other states to play there.

No disrespect to Wyoming btw.

with the amount of competition in this state to recruit said players, it absolutely matters.  We need every competitive advantage we can possibly get and one of those potential advantages is a coach who went to high school here, recruited here for decades, and has relationships with coaches who spend every single day with the talent that's here.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Texas high school kids where in elementary school the last time one of the two choices was last here. Memories are short too. One of these guys is relevant today in a big way in our region and kids can relate to his current success. 

That does not really matter, it is what their High School coaches know that matter usually, plus parents. By the way most high school football players have heard of the Tar Heels, the assuming the State is some sort of Vacuum is a mistake. 

Edited by KingDL1

with the amount of competition in this state to recruit said players, it absolutely matters.  We need every competitive advantage we can possibly get and one of those potential advantages is a coach who went to high school here, recruited here for decades, and has relationships with coaches who spend every single day with the talent that's here.  

They both have ties to the state so in this case that part of it evens out.  Meachan has only been with TCU for a few years.  I want the best coach not the best recruiter.  If you're a good coach with a great game plan then you will be able to recruit anywhere.  I'm no expert of course but in my very non-professional opinion Littrell seems to be the guy with the highest ceiling.  

But hey we could both be really really wrong or really really right.

• Upvote 1

They both have ties to the state so in this case that part of it evens out.  Meachan has only been with TCU for a few years.  

Meacham has been recruiting Texas for far longer so they're hardly even.  But you're right...these are both great options and I'm glad we are even having this debate....I hope!

• Upvote 4

That does not really matter, it is what their High School coaches know that matter usually, plus parents. By the way most high school football players have heard of the Tar Heels, the assuming the State is some sort of Vacuum is a mistake. 

And which one of these guys presently knows all the regional high school coaches and is affiliated with a Top 10 team that has been competive in a National Championship hunt?

When I was on recruiting trips certain things mattered to me. My high school coaches opinion never mattered a bit. It does for some kids I guess. I'd be much more impressed by a guy who was at TCU because they went from CUSA to what they are today and the man at my kitchen table was part of it.

If the candidates are equal I just think we have to go with the local guy. But who ever really knows, they could both be bad or great.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 5

And which one of these guys presently knows all the regional high school coaches and is affiliated with a Top 10 team that has been competive in a National Championship hunt? 

If the candidates are equal I just think we have to go with the local guy. But who ever really knows...

In this regard I think it is a complete wash, they won't be recruiting for TCU. I would bet they both know the regional high school coaches. 

Edited by KingDL1

• Harry pinned this topic

How strange is it that both of the finalists seem to be quality candidates with support from the majority on this board.   I am pretty thrilled by the possibility of having either of these fine men coach our team.   Regardless of who gets hired tomorrow, nearly all of us on the board should be pretty satisfied tomorrow.

Unless of course the announced head coach is neither of these guys ;)

• Upvote 5

How strange is it that both of the finalists seem to be quality candidates with support from the majority on this board.   I am pretty thrilled by the possibility of having either of these fine men coach our team.   Regardless of who gets hired tomorrow, nearly all of us on the board should be pretty satisfied tomorrow.

I totally agree.  Either one would be very solid hires.  It's nice to narrow it down to two such fine candidates.

Can't say I care at this point. Just want to see the coach named and the coordinators hired. DC being the most important. Then get on the trail and bring in the best kids you can in the short time available. 

Both candidates have solid resumes.

• Upvote 1

The longer this drags out the more I am concerned about getting not getting either one of these guys.  If we don't have a coach by Tuesday of next week, I will be in full blown panic.   

• Harry unpinned this topic