Interview questions that should be asked

SilverEagle

It's probably a little too late to post this because probably all the interviews have taken place. But assuming that Meachum's is really going to happen then here are a few questions I would pose to him. Feel free to add your own.

1. Coach, why are you interested in North Texas?

2. Tell me why you think you would be the best candidate?

3. Starting from you tenure at Ok. St. and going to the present, tell me which impact players you were personally responsible for bringing into the program? 

4. At the same schools, tell me the name of players that were already on the roster that you believe you were responsible for developing into significant contributors to the program?

5. In light of North Texas' overall record in the last ten years, tell me how you plan to sell/present North Texas as a viable option for any "impact" players you would be recruiting?

6. Tell me how you are going to sell your particular program/regime  to alumni, students, and the community. Especially when you are likely to hear "why should we think that anything should be different than any of the two previous hires?"

7. Some people believe that losing programs/schools have "losing ways".  Do you think that is true? Do you think that describes North Texas?

8. Most successful programs not only play great offense, but they also play great defense. Tell me who you want your defense patterned after? (assuming that he says Gary Patterson, the follow-up question would be "is the next Gary Patterson out there? And do you think you can hire him?)

9. Where did the nick name "Mean Green" come from?

• Upvote 2

What is your plan to change the losing culture at UNT? With students and Alumni? How do you plan to overcome a dysfunctional athletic department and athletic director? Do you believe this program should appeal to a wide cross section of fans, or only to a select group of big donors? Will you be one frustrated with never having a sellout and never having a home opponent that could produce enough interest to create said sell out? Are you prepared to play a P5 on the road every year, and some years playing 2 P5s on the road? Will you get frustrated when you here that fans quit going to away games due to problems getting tickets they purchased one month in advance?

And the most important question :

Are you ok with your immediate boss lying to you and the fan base whenever he is asked a hard question? 

EDIT: second most important question:

Are you ok with being held to standards that will NEVER be applied to your immediate boss because he has successfully manipulated 17 people?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

What is your plan to change the losing culture at UNT? With students and Alumni? How do you plan to overcome a dysfunctional athletic department and athletic director? Do you believe this program should appeal to a wide cross section of fans, or only to a select group of big donors? Will you be one frustrated with never having a sellout and never having a home opponent that could produce enough interest to create said sell out? Are you prepared to play a P5 on the road every year, and some years playing 2 P5s on the road? Will you get frustrated when you here that fans quit going to away games due to problems getting tickets they purchased one month in advance?

And the most important question :

Are you ok with your immediate boss lying to you and the fan base whenever he is asked a hard question? 

EDIT: second most important question:

Are you ok with being held to standards that will NEVER be applied to your immediate boss because he has successfully manipulated 17 people?

I'm sitting here trying to down vote this post, but it won't let me.  What the heck?!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1).  What staff do you need to achieve your goals to win here and how much will it cost and how soon can you have it in place.

1a).  What is your specific detailed plan for recruiting, and what staff members can you bring to help achieve your goal.  Please focus on how specifically you will address recruiting at UNT and how you can best position UNT for success. Why do you think UNT has not been successful in this area and what could you implement to change this?  What could the administration do?

1b).  WHAT EXACTLY do you need from the administration to be successful here?  What type of support structure and academic support do you need?  What types of things have been difference makers in your ability to recruit top athletes.

1c).  You have been primarily at very successful, well funded programs.  We are getting there.  How will you adjust your expectations while still being successful at making UNT a g5 power?

2).  Will you have to coach your teams bowl game?  How soon can you have a staff in place and how soon can you start? 

3).  Your experience at good programs is a plus.  How would you use this as a motivation or something to aspire to instead of making it a negative about UNT? 

4).  You will now be the highest paid and highest profile employee of UNT.  How will you reach out to  the UNT fanbase, students and faculty and Denton community.

5).  Social media is a very important piece of the marketing and recruiting of successful FBS programs.  We believe this should be a strength for UNT because of our numbers of alumni etc.  How will you involve yourself and your staff in this?