To Ernie, Fly, and the rest of the 17

UNT90

I didn't try to count, but it wasn't good.  It's hard to blame the students or the casual fans - this season has been a disaster & fan investment is at a depressing low.  That's sad but things will get better.  Saddest of all, is the way NT's supposed die-hard fans are celebrating every piece of bad news - whether attendance or players baling.  Great leadership '90. 

If you only knew something about football you'd make a great coach.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I didn't try to count, but it wasn't good.  It's hard to blame the students or the casual fans - this season has been a disaster & fan investment is at a depressing low.  That's sad but things will get better.  Saddest of all, is the way NT's supposed die-hard fans are celebrating every piece of bad news - whether attendance or players baling.  Great leadership '90. 

If you only knew something about football you'd make a great coach.

I'm not celebrating anything. 

There are 17 people that apparently get to decide who remains at AD, regardless of a terrible job performance for multiple years. 

Maybe your ire is more appropriate when directed their way.

I'm merely a messenger, but it is always easier to blame the messenger than to fix the problem in the message, so much so that there is an expression about it.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

After 15 years? How can anyone justify yesterdays attendance and the current state of UNT's revenue sports unless it is the sole objective to destroy these programs because it is so much easier to accept that idea than to accept the fact that our so called leaders are complete morons who not only exude incompetence but actually reward it. What I witnessed yesterday was sickening.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

After 15 years? How can anyone justify yesterdays attendance and the current state of UNT's revenue sports unless it is the sole objective to destroy these programs because it is so much easier to accept that idea than to accept the fact that our so called leaders are complete morons who not only exude incompetence but actually reward it. What I witnessed yesterday was sickening.

Just an AD, creating a vision. That's all. RV is cementing his legacy like Carlos Harris is cementing his. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I'm not celebrating anything. 

There are 17 people that apparently get to decide who remains at AD, regardless of a terrible job performance for multiple years. 

Maybe your ire is more appropriate when directed their way.

I'm merely a messenger, but it is always easier to blame the messenger than to fix the problem in the message, so much so that there is an expression about it.

Chicken Little was just a messenger.

I'm very ambivalent about RV.  I hated that he couldn't seem to work with Coach Dickey.  I loved that he was part of the effort that gave us Apogee. 

I'm not sure if he should stay or be replaced.  But I do think that decision should be made by the UNT President and the Group of 17 (if there is any such thing) and not by a bunch of disgruntled fans.  The banner and much of what has been said on this forum were classless.  Being a supporter of UNT athletics takes courage.  There are depressing down-times, but that only makes the good times the sweeter.

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 14

I'm very ambivalent about RV.  I hated that he couldn't seem to work with Coach Dickey.  I loved that he was part of the effort that gave us Apogee. 

I'm not sure if he should stay or be replaced.  But I do think that decision should be made by the UNT President and the Group of 17 (if there is any such thing) and not by a bunch of disgruntled fans.  The banner and much of what has been said on this forum was classless.  Being a supporter of UNT athletics takes courage.  There are depressing down-times, but that only makes the good times the sweeter.

Thought processes like this are part of the problem, not the solution.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

I'm not sure if he should stay or be replaced.  But I do think that decision should be made by the UNT President and the Group of 17 (if there is any such thing) and not by a bunch of disgruntled fans.  The banner and much of what has been said on this forum was classless.  Being a supporter of UNT athletics takes courage.  There are depressing down-times, but that only makes the good times the sweeter.

When the big donors prevent the president from doing his job, there is a problem.

Be on the fence about RV all you want. It doesn't surprise me from you, because you are one of the 3 or 4k that will always be here, giving your money and demanding nothing for it. Good for you. I don't criticize you for it.

Don't criticize me for expecting better.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

At least chicken little had a spine.

Rick.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

When the big donors prevent the president from doing his job, there is a problem.

Be on the fence about RV all you want. It doesn't surprise me from you, because you are one of the 3 or 4k that will always be here, giving your money and demanding nothing for it. Good for you. I don't criticize you for it.

Don't criticize me for expecting better.

If the 'big donors' are preventing the president from doing his job that's a problem with the president, not the Athletic Director.

Yes, I will be at Apogee as much as I can.  Thank you for not criticizing me for that.

I don't criticize you for expecting better.  I criticize the persistence with which you express your negativity. 

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

If the 'big donors' are preventing the president from doing his job that's a problem with the president, not the Athletic Director.

Yes, I will be at Apogee as much as I can.  Thank you for not criticizing me.

I don't criticize you for expecting better.  I criticize the persistence with which you express your negativity. 

Explain to me what is positive about another 1 win football season. Or what is positive about a basketball coach who every single one of us knew was a failed hire being allowed to collect a check for 4 years without consequences. Or about constantly changing women's basketball coaches. Or having a 15 year AD who will end up firing every single major program coach in a one year period. All coaches he hired. All failures. Without any consequences for himself.

Or ordering away game tickets a month ahead of time, only to have them not mailed and having to wait in long will call lines at the away game stadium.

Or having you AD constantly lie to you about his scheduling failures.

But, hey, buildings, right? Maybe you noticed that that pretty stadium building was empty last night. You might want to get used to that.

And the sky isn't falling. It fell a year ago when an AD refused to hold a head coach accountable for inappropriate behavior before practice and games. Just one more thing.

But, hey, you have every right to climb back into that bubble, close your eyes, and continually repeat "everything will be alright."

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

Explain to me what is positive about another 1 win football season. Or what is positive about a basketball coach who every single one of us knew was a failed hire being allowed to collect a check for 4 years without consequences. Or about constantly changing women's basketball coaches. Or having a 15 year AD who will end up firing every single major program coach in a one year period. All coaches he hired. All failures. Without any consequences for himself.

Or ordering away game tickets a month ahead of time, only to have them not mailed and having to wait in long will call lines at the away game stadium.

But, hey, buildings, right? Maybe you noticed that that pretty stadium building was empty last night. You might want to get used to that.

And the sky isn't falling. It fell a year ago when an AD refused to hold a head coach accountable for inappropriate behavior before practice and games. Just one more thing.

But, hey, you have every right to climb back into that bubble, close your eyes, and continually repeat "everything will be alright."

'90, everything will be alright.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Pres. Smatresk predicted to a group of us at the Alumni Pavilion yesterday that there would be all but 500 in attendance last night, to which I laughed and retorted we'll officially conflate that to 1,500. He had even darker things to say about basketball. @UNT 90 Grad can back me up on this. He also had some HSOs on how the final Top4 and Playoffs will turn out.

His frank and perhaps wry disappointment was once again refreshing to see from someone at his level. Before he left he did call out to all of us there and thanked us for being "real fans".

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 5

Smatresk predicted to a group of us at the Alumni Pavilion yesterday that there would be all but 500 of us in attendance last night, to which I laughed and retorted we'll officially conflate that to 1,500. He had even darker things to say about basketball. @UNT 90 Grad can back me up on this. He also had some HSOs on how the final Top4 and Playoffs will turn out.

His frank and perhaps wry disappointment was once again refreshing to see from someone at his level. Before he left he did call out to all of us there and thanked us for being "real fans".

Does it matter?  Is he at all involved in athletics?  I hear constant, persistent crickets.  

• Upvote 2

'90, everything will be alright.

Ok, Neville Chamberlain.

Enjoy more losing next year in football and basketball (if RV is around to make that hire). 4 more years of losing will completely kill this program, so I guess we will have the nicest stadium in FCS?

Does it matter?  Is he at all involved in athletics?  I hear constant, persistent crickets.  

He refused to give RV a vote of confidence after RV specifically asked for it, then made sure that fact was leaked to local media. Reading between the lines, Pres. Smatresk obviously wants him out, but either doesn't have the support of the BOR or several large donors are keeping their personal friend employed, or a combination of both.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure if he should stay or be replaced.  But I do think that decision should be made by the UNT President and the Group of 17 (if there is any such thing) and not by a bunch of disgruntled fans.  The banner and much of what has been said on this forum were classless.  Being a supporter of UNT athletics takes courage.  There are depressing down-times, but that only makes the good times the sweeter.

Worse post I have seen in here in some time. Thinking like this will get us exactly where we are. ONE winning season in the past 11 and you're "not sure" if the person responsible should be replaced or not? It's baffling. How can you not be sure? How can you say the banner was classless, but yet defend our offensive AD. I don't get the logic. Like I've said, I may be too small minded for this fandom. Apparently other Mean Green fans see or know things that I somehow don't know or can't see. 

Pres. Smatresk predicted to a group of us at the Alumni Pavilion yesterday that there would be all but 500 in attendance last night, to which I laughed and retorted we'll officially conflate that to 1,500. He had even darker things to say about basketball. @UNT 90 Grad can back me up on this. He also had some HSOs on how the final Top4 and Playoffs will turn out.

"Real fans"... 

Haha, all 500 of us. I think RV, if anything, is rubbing off on him. 

He, in my book, is a coward that is afraid to voice his opinion. Changes should be in the making across the AD and he just gives us a shrug of shoulders and a confirmed disappointment. Great. Just great. He's disappointed, now what? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I back the beard.  It was a bit jarring hearing these brief candid thoughts from the Prisident.  And his demeanor didn't come across as just disappointment.  I heard no sugar coating.  He seemed border line pissed at the state of football and basketball.  His passion gave me hope that if the situation can be improved by him taking action, he'll do it.  Overhearing some of Smatresk's conversations regarding teams from other schools in other conferences yesterday, he's more than just a UNT drum beater.  He's a sports enthusiast, which also gives me hope.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 5

I back the beard.  It was a bit jarring hearing these brief candid thoughts from the Prisident.  And his demeanor didn't come across as just disappointment.  I heard no sugar coating.  He seemed border line pissed at the state of football and basketball.  His passion gave me hope that if the situation can be improved by him taking action, he'll do it.  Overhearing some of Smatresk's conversations regarding teams from other schools in other conferences yesterday, he's more than just a UNT drum beater.  He's a sports enthusiast, which also gives me hope.  

Between you and Chris I have my first ray of hope in quite a long time thank you.

Can you elaborate on this quote? I don't recall hearing about this.

• Upvote 3

Hate to keep beating the "moderation" drum, but really, as much as I like Rick and as poor as the direction has been in the success of the revenue sports lately, can't we give him a spot in Development to focus on his strong points (bringing in donors and promoting rah-rah UNT attitudes) and have someone else as the AD?  Is that idea really that bad since no one on either extreme would get their way?

• Upvote 3