Carlos Harris

UNTLifer

Why don't you post a photo of Carlos still making contact with the defender with both feet IN THE AIR. But like it's been stated on this thread before, the rule says nothing about "launching." It's about making forceable contact to the head area of a defenseless player(the QB in Zed's hit is not considered defenseless). The second the hit happened I knew a flag was coming and so should have anyone else who has watched football the past 3 years. It seems to me like you and others are just pissed with how the game has changed rather than understand the rule. 

Why don't you go back and look at the third picture of the first three I posted...at that point his MOMENTUM sent him airborne and both feet ARE off the ground.  

And it seems to me football is a little too violent a game for some of the Lilly's that watch it?

Rick

• Upvote 1

Why don't you go back and look at the third picture of the first three I posted...at that point his MOMENTUM sent him airborne and both feet ARE off the ground.  

And it seems to me football is a little too violent a game for some of the Lilly's that watch it?

Rick

It is rarely the "Lilly's" watching it that get messed up for life or worse.

Sunday morning, turned on SportsCenter while they showed highlights of hit after hit after hit including OU & OKSt players having stuff exploding from their helmets after a collision.    

Yup...there were two hits in that game, one like Carlos's on a block...no call, and the one you mentioned where when they slowed down the video of the head to head hit...the outer coating of the helmet shattered in a hundred pieces.....no call.

But a shoulder to chest block by a guy with an attitude and he's suddenly a piece of trash.

Rick

• Upvote 3

Yup...there were two hits in that game, one like Carlos's on a block...no call, and the one you mentioned where when they slowed down the video of the head to head hit...the outer coating of the helmet shattered in a hundred pieces.....no call.

But a shoulder to chest block by a guy with an attitude and he's suddenly a piece of trash.

Rick

Can't the OU/OSU hit be the officiating mistake? 

• Upvote 1

It is rarely the "Lilly's" watching it that get messed up for life or worse.

I can post a few pics of .."or worse"... that happens to young people EVERY DAY if anyone is interested, just in case an ounce of reality needs to be injected back into the subject?

Burns, Disembowlment, Gunshot Wounds, Dismemberment, Stabbings, Crush Injuries, Overdose, Decapitations, Blunt Force Trauma ....anyone?

Rick  

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

I can post a few pics of .."or worse"... that happens to young people EVERY DAY if anyone is interested, just in case an ounce of reality needs to be injected back into the subject?

Burns, Disembowlment, Gunshot Wounds, Stabbings, Crush Injuries, Overdose, Decapitations, Blunt Force Trama ....anyone?

Rick  

And are all those things legal?

Can't the OU/OSU hit be the officiating mistake? 

It could be, but the crew working our game was the worst crew CUSA had to offer, according to tweets prior to this call.  The crew working the Bedlam was probably the best the Big12 had to offer given it was the de-facto championship game. 

Seems much more likely a terrible crew in a G5 conference would be more prone to mistakes than an elite crew in a P5 conference.  

• Upvote 1

Rick

And who caused the momentum that took Carlos airborne? It's not like the wind picked him off the ground. Maybe go take a Physics 101 class?

And it seems to me some people are too stuck in their old ways to understand a rule that's been around for a few years now.

• Upvote 1

Football is too violent a game according to many of the greatest athletes who played it and are now suffering early onset dementia and other problems associated with CTE.

Jim McMahon is 56 and has early onset dementia. He doesn't remember the games he played in that legendary 1985 Chicago Bears season. Tony Dorsett has CTE too and is just 61.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Football is too violent a game according to many of the greatest athletes who played it and are now suffering early onset dementia and other problems associated with CTE.

Jim McMahon is 56 and has early onset dementia. He doesn't remember the games he played in that legendary 1985 Chicago Bears season. Tony Dorsett has CTE too and is just 61.

My father in law never played football, was diagnosed at 64...and we buried him three summers ago at 70.  

We can nitpick this subject till hell freezes over...then nitpick it on the ice.

Meanwhile I have a physics class to sign up for so I can counsel someone's hurt feelings over tackling.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

Showing grainy pictures of stills doesn't provide the full context of the hit.  

Had Carlos aimed lower, it would not have appeared he was "aiming" for the defensive player's head and perhaps then he would not have flagged for the targeting.

Rick

Wait.   I didn't have a problem with the hit.   That has nothing to do with whether or not I think he's a piece of trash.   Let's not tie the two together.  

• Upvote 2

Showing grainy pictures of stills doesn't provide the full context of the hit.  

Had Carlos aimed lower, it would not have appeared he was "aiming" for the defensive player's head and perhaps then he would not have flagged for the targeting.

And they don't prove targeting either,.. But they show pretty much that it was a good, legal hit just the same....not including the video...which everyone with a dvr has already seen.

Rick

Sorry if this has been mentioned...but at 0:14 of the "highlight" reel...who provides a block for Wilson?  It happens kind of fast, but it looks like Harris and, to me, it looks a lot like the hit that he got ejected for.  I really don't see any difference in the two hits except one guy got bumped a little and the other guy got obliterated. But form, point of contact, and even the situation seems exactly the same.

• Upvote 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned...but at 0:14 of the "highlight" reel...who provides a block for Wilson?  It happens kind of fast, but it looks like Harris and, to me, it looks a lot like the hit that he got ejected for.  I really don't see any difference in the two hits except one guy got bumped a little and the other guy got obliterated. But form, point of contact, and even the situation seems exactly the same.

I was thinking the same.

• Upvote 1

And they don't prove targeting either,.. But they show pretty much that it was a good, legal hit just the same....not including the video...which everyone with a dvr has already seen.

Rick

I could post pictures of body parts and make you think they are something that they really aren't.  Heck, if we're going to post pictures of pictures, I could doctor it up even more!

At best it is a questionable hit. Upon further review, the officials of the game felt it was an illegal hit.  Whining and complaining won't solve it.  Those are the parameters the game is currently built around.  It's more about the safety of the players than the satisfaction of the fans getting to watch players obliterate each other.

Look at the hit Akunne had on the SMU receiver last year vs the hit Carlos Harris had in this game. No matter how you want to spin or how you personally feel about Harris's hit was illegal. According to the rules of football today that is an illegal hit. Think about it this way as well. Carlos his shorter than the player that he hit. In order to even hit the player that high up he would have had to launch himself into him. When he hit the player even if he touched his chest up his launching himself sent him into the head and neck area which makes it a foul. Akunne's hit is an example of how to lay someone out without launching yourself or hitting their head or neck. 

I could post pictures of body parts and make you think they are something that they really aren't.  Heck, if we're going to post pictures of pictures, I could doctor it up even more!

At best it is a questionable hit. Upon further review, the officials of the game felt it was an illegal hit.  Whining and complaining won't solve it.  Those are the parameters the game is currently built around.  It's more about the safety of the players than the satisfaction of the fans getting to watch players obliterate each other.

Only I haven't had to doctor anything to prove it was a legal hit.  

Fans discussing calls that go both ways isn't whinning, you simply don't have the stomach for the sport.  

Rick

Only I haven't had to doctor anything to prove it was a legal hit.  

Fans discussing calls that go both ways isn't whinning, you simply don't have the stomach for the sport.  

Rick

tumblr_m9w97nPbDD1qa93vz.gif

How about we agree to disagree and leave it at that? Kthxbai.

• Upvote 1

Had Carlos aimed lower

If he had aimed much lower he would have put his own head past parallel and that is a great way to never walk again.   I think that at full speed he lowered his head and his point of aim about as much as he could have.  Really the hit looks terrible because the UTEP player had zero situational awareness.  

I've criticized Harris for how he has behaved before, and I really don't like how he acted after the hit.  Now what I really hate is to see him get called a POS and worse for what didn't look like anything more than a hard block.  Yes, the people who are saying that that hit will get flagged most times in today's game are right, but I do not think for one second he was head hunting.  If he wanted to head hunt he could have taken his head clean off.  

• Upvote 3