Josh Greer in the game and Pick six

Harry

There is so much comedy gold in this thread, I almost hate to turn it back to serious discussion, but basically...

1) I like just about all of our guys, based on everything I've heard about them.  The fact remains that this is supposed to be a competitive sport, not a "everybody wins a trophy" self-esteem exercise.  We want the best possible combination of people on the field.  If your kid happens to be one of the awesome guys that's a not-so-awesome player, don't be offended if we want a better player on the field.

2) I really think Canales probably saw his second shot at Greer and thought, "Man, I remember how good his game was.  I bet with the right coach, like me, he could be on fire!"  However...after his performance last year and lack of improvement this year, I just don't see why he'd put him in unless he had some sort of weird "this'll show him" moment with Smith or something.

• Upvote 3

2) I really think Canales probably saw his second shot at Greer and thought, "Man, I remember how good his game was.  I bet with the right coach, like me, he could be on fire!"  However...after his performance last year and lack of improvement this year, I just don't see why he'd put him in unless he had some sort of weird "this'll show him" moment with Smith or something.

This is a reason why I'm glad we didn't sign Riddle.  I don't trust Canales and Mac to have picked a D1 quarterback.  My other reasons are McNulty, Demarcus, .. etc.

• Upvote 4

That would be Wendy and Terry Thompson.  Awesome couple.  Wendy is a basketball coach and she is tough.  After first meeting her it was obvious where DT got his grit and determination from.  She was DT's biggest critic too.

After the La Tech game in Ruston in '13 we were all walking out of the stadium together and I asked her if the story was really true about what she said to Derek in the the trainer's room immediately after Derek broke his femur at Army years before?  She said "of course it was true".   And I can't recall the exact way she supposedly said it to him but the very first thing she says as she walks up to him laying on the table was something to the fact of..."You've gotta get rid of it (the ball) quicker than that!".  So as I was walking on along leaving the stadium gate I simply added..."Well, after today's performance (we soundly won that day) it looks like he listened to you".....to which she quickly replied..."It's about time!".   LMAO!    

Anyhow, those are two great Mean Green parents I've had the pleasure to know.  We have had many over the years and I greatly appreciate them.

Rick

And now we have parents defending their son's rule violations.

• Upvote 1

This is somewhat sad as I sent you a PM because I thought it would be better to discuss this in private not on in a public message. However, it was not an angry PM but one just stating I wish you would not refer to my son as a MF. My quote to you was as follows, "You referred to my son as a, "...is the mf'er in the game "? Really, whether you don't like his play or not that has NO class!" That was my main point of the message! The other was simply that I have seen very few examples of someone calling another person a MF to their face without something bad happening, thus my point to reconsider.

In many instances, it's more of a generational thing.  For instance, there are some people who, when their friend walks into the room, they will say, "Look at THIS m'fer!"  Modern generations use what was overtly crass 20 years ago as a synonym for everything up to and including, merely, "person."  This tends to happen even more often, regardless of social or cultural differences, when there are sports and/or alcohol concerned.  If this is likely to raise your ire, then you may wish to avoid one or both.  And unless your son has cordoned himself off from nearly all of his peers, then he more than likely has experienced similar verbal fare on a semi-regular basis, and would therefore likely not have taken it quite the same way as you did upon hearing it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

That would be Wendy and Terry Thompson.  Awesome couple.  Wendy is a basketball coach and she is tough.  After first meeting her it was obvious where DT got his grit and determination from.  She was DT's biggest critic too.

After the La Tech game in Ruston in '13 we were all walking out of the stadium together and I asked her if the story was really true about what she said to Derek in the the trainer's room immediately after Derek broke his femur at Army years before?  She said "of course it was true".   And I can't recall the exact way she supposedly said it to him but the very first thing she says as she walks up to him laying on the table was something to the fact of..."You've gotta get rid of it (the ball) quicker than that!".  So as I was walking on along leaving the stadium gate I simply added..."Well, after today's performance (we soundly won that day) it looks like he listened to you".....to which she quickly replied..."It's about time!".   LMAO!    

Anyhow, those are two great Mean Green parents I've had the pleasure to know.  We have had many over the years and I greatly appreciate them.

Rick

Nice story, but Zac Whitfield's pick 6 and great perimeter tackling won that game for us that day. The offense that year and every other Dan Mccarney year was pretty anemic. Good road crowd that day for us in Ruston. If we win people come out of the treeline as proven on that day. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

In many instances, it's more of a generational thing.  For instance, there are some people who, when their friend walks into the room, they will say, "Look at THIS m'fer!"  Modern generations use what was overtly crass 20 years ago as a synonym for everything up to and including, merely, "person."  This tends to happen even more often, regardless of social or cultural differences, when there are sports and/or alcohol concerned.  If this is likely to raise your ire, then you may wish to avoid one or both.  And unless your son has cordoned himself off from nearly all of his peers, then he more than likely has experienced similar verbal fare on a semi-regular basis, and would therefore likely not have taken it quite the same way as you did upon hearing it.

Guess I am now officially old, but the use of "mf'er" should never be appropriate unless it is Dickey referring to the fans.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

Nice story, but Zac Whitfield's pick 6 and great perimeter tackling won that game for us that day. The offense that year and every other Dan Mccarney year was pretty anemic. Good road crowd that day for us in Ruston. If we win people come out of the treeline as proven on that day. 

Interesting point, because there was a good stat to remember: any time we scored OVER 21 (we scored exactly 21 against Tulane and Georgia), we won.  The defense was solid enough to hold most teams to under 21, so that nominal scoring was enough to win most of the games that year.  I'll say it again: Skladany was the MVP of the defense.  He took decent players and made them into hungry killers.  That sort of thing could have saved these last 2 seasons and sent us bowling again, IMO.  Score an average of 7 more per game while holding almost every team to around 20 points or less?  Yup, that would have done it.

• Upvote 2

I'd never really heard it until I was sitting with the East Side bus crowd at SMU.  I do have to admit that I chuckled watching these otherwise prim, proper and demure mid-20s coeds shouting this out.  Then again, I've reverence for virtually nothing, so take this all with a grain of salt.

(I still have no idea what the words to the alma mater are or why people do the bendy arm thing)

the whole m'fing eagles thing is definitely a generational thing. Most of the student section does it. I do it just about every time and I just graduated. 

I am not getting in to this debate again, but if my son were a student and I heard him saying that, I would yank his butt out of the student section and embarrass him in front of everyone.  Respect is not generational.  It is respect and adding MF to anything is disrespectful.  Texas Tech students do the same thing.  They have a reason.  UNT students don't and shouldn't.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I am not getting in to this debate again, but if my son were a student and I heard him saying that, I would yank his butt out of the student section and embarrass him in front of everyone.  Respect is not generational.  It is respect and adding MF to anything is disrespectful.  Texas Tech students do the same thing.  They have a reason.  UNT students don't and shouldn't.

I'm not trying to debate anything, just saying what I've experienced. I understand and respect your viewpoint as my parents would do the same. Maybe not so much anymore as they're in their 60's, but you get the point. 

• Upvote 1

Here's my two cents and why Chico did what he did.

We had nothing to play for.  Everyone can say we'll win for the seniors, blah blah blah.  Chico is a players coach.  In result, he'd going to let the players play, especially the qb's who he works with everyday.  If they win, well, thats just adds to the experience to them.  Utimatley, they didn't, Chico was probably most upset because one of his leaders got a major pentilty and another 15 yarder on top of it.  He's thinking, man, I'm putting the players in position to have a game winning drive but they just f'd it up like they've been doing all season.  

Do I agree with my opinion about his decision... Eh.

Football players parents need to take after the Buyers, they get it.  We tailgate with them every game and we can talk about good Kenny and bad Kenny.  

This was the perfect ending to this season. Let's play everyone and give out participation ribbons!! You tried hard!!

No one will ever convince me this wasn't the worst team we have ever fielded in the last 40 years of UNT Football and that it wasn't the worst FBS team in the country. It reminds me of Mike Rhyner's opinion on the 1992 Mavs that won 11 games, avoiding the worst record of all-time in the NBA--there may be records or stats that say differently, but you'll never convince me that they weren't the worst team of all time in the NBA. That's exactly how I feel about the 2015 UNT squad. Worst loss in modern football history. Worst QBs that a FBS squad has ever produced. Our only win was because a very bad UTSA team was down to their 4th and 5th string QBs and we still managed to win by scoring a TD late in the game at home to win. There may very well have been a few teams worst than this one in the previous years of FBS football, but for 2015, we were the worst. I have no doubt about that. 66-7 at home against FCS Portland State on Homecoming cemented that fact.

• Upvote 2

Every now and then you get something right.  This would be one of them.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hopefully a majority of the students bastardizing the fight song now will realize one day in the future that it is/was disrespectful to their alma mater. That said, I know I wasn't the most respectful person regarding many things when I was in college either. In short, don't say anything in public that you wouldn't say in front of your kids or your grandma. Unless this is your grandma:

444e174bba888e06995d8abc4115f86a.jpg