And the there were two: Meacham and Littrell

Mean_Green09

No to Littrell. Dude's not even one of the OCs on the UNC staff. I'll stick with Meacham.

Littrell calls the plays for UNC.  Read some of my other threads on him.  He's highly regarded across the country.  His offense would be a huge draw for recruits wherever he is.

Not picking sides here but Littrell calls the plays for UNC and the Co-OCs work under him.

Littrell calls the plays for UNC.  Read some of my other threads on him.  He's highly regarded across the country.  His offense would be a huge draw for recruits wherever he is.

Didn't know that, but it doesn't change the fact that he seems to lacks the Texas recruiting ties our next head coach will need. And, although UNC is having a very nice season, they are not getting the same press TCU is in the Texas communities we recruit from. I'm sure he is a fine coach, but I don't think he is the right guy for us. I think Meacham is the better fit.

Upon further review, either would be nice, but I still like Meacham's ties to the Texas recruiting landscape.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2

I like both coaches but the one pice that puts Meacham ahead of Littrell is the fact he doesn't want to leave the DFW area. 

I like the idea that he doesn't want to leave the DFW area, but we don't need another high profile paid staff person not living in Denton.  If you are going to come be our coach, move here.  But that is probably just me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Can someone explain to me why TCU has 2 OCs?  Is there any concern that Meacham is not the single OC?

to pay the non OC (Cumbie) just a little bit more money. Kind of like an associate HC, all about the $. 

He he played Fullback in college at OU from 97-00 FWIW.

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

so Meacham is the position and Cumbie is just the name?

yes Meacham is their OC, Cumbie sits in the box and helps like any position coach would.  They just tagged his name to a title to pay him more. He's still a great coach but he is not calling any plays. 

• Upvote 3

Great post Zen.  I encourage those who are skeptical on Littrell to review your post and links.  This guy is young but has a very impressive career turning around offenses.  Ties to Leach, Stoops, captain on a national championship team.  He's a winner.

I have completed my very thorough and formal Google evaluation of both candidates and come out strongly in favor of Littrell. The dude makes a powerful positive impact and wins everywhere he goes. From reading his Twitter and watching interviews I believe he has the correct combo of recruiting skill and X's and O's. Here is a good interview with him. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh65FTVsdas

He wants to spread the ball around, make the defense defend the entire field and utilize multiple playmakers. He talks about the need for an offense to adapt to the talents of its players and about how his offense has to always keep evolving to stay ahead of the defense. 

As far as recruiting, you can tell Littrell has the charisma and charm to do well sitting on the living room couch of a high school senior. He talks about recruiting FREAKS to star in his offense and can point to guys like Rob Gronkowski and Tevin Coleman as examples of guys he coached. 

He's from Oklahoma (where he was team captain of 2000 national champion) and even though he just spent a few seasons coaching in Texas at Tech, he has ALWAYS recruited Texas. Convincing Texas kids to go play all the way in Arizona, Indiana or North Carolina is good sales practice for convincing kids to play at a program with unrealized potential like North Texas. 

Littrell is destined for big things. If we hire Littrell I could see him getting the most out of our current talent and landing a few impact recruiting classes then moving on to a major P5 gig. Let's pull the trigger and get the Littrell era started.

I agree. Littrell has impressed me since I've been researching him. I don't think Meacham would be a bad choice, but I think Littrell has the higher ceiling.

• Upvote 7

Who do you think could assemble a better staff?

Litrell has coached with a lot of guys on multiple staffs, I think it's 50/50. Meacham has been in the game longer but don't discount the ties Littrell has now.