We need to get behind this hire

Harry

When Mac was hire it seemed like even though we didn't know much about him we all got behind him and there was optimism.

I worry that with this hire there will still be some who just will not be satisfied no matter who it is.

A good aspect of a new coaching hire is that it gives the program a chance to put behind the skeletons from the past behind them and unite behind a new leader.  UNT needs to have a sense of optimism again.  Just two years ago we were very optimistic about our football program.  I believe we can get back to that happy place again.

My sincerest hope is that even if our next coach is not your first choice, you will give him and the program a fair shake.  He deserves this in my opinion.  Our program needs this right now.  GMG.

I am excited to get a new coach on board whoever it may be.  However I will be deeply disappointed if the new coach comes on board and immediately criticizes the players like Mac did, it never sat well with me.

agree 100% with this.  

When Mac was hire it seemed like even though we didn't know much about him we all got behind him and there was optimism.

I worry that with this hire there will still be some who just will not be satisfied no matter who it is.

A good aspect of a new coaching hire is that it gives the program a chance to put behind the skeletons from the past behind them and unite behind a new leader.  UNT needs to have a sense of optimism again.  Just two years ago we were very optimistic about our football program.  I believe we can get back to that happy place again.

My sincerest hope is that even if our next coach is not your first choice, you will give him and the program a fair shake.  He deserves this in my opinion.  Our program needs this right now.  GMG.

Well said. I think whomever the hire is, he will get a "honeymoon" period to sell us on his program. A lot will depend on his compensation package and other aspects of his contract, IMO. If the comp is perceived as being out of proportion to his resume, the "honeymoon" may not last as long as some would like. I want to see progress and competitive play and I don't expect it all at once. If he's getting top dollar, I want to see progress faster and will be looking closer for indicators.

• Upvote 3

Get rid of the AD and you will accomplish more of this than a new football coach.  Plain and simple.

I just don't see it happening, too much division on the fanbase. RV repeatedly flipping (proverbial) birds to the vast majority of the fanbase has contributed to an absolutely toxic environment. I don't see how any coach can overcome that, and damn sure he shouldn't have to,

Leadership culture matters especially when you don't have tradition of winning, strong deep alumni support, strong community support or vibrant vocal invested student support.  With that said if you are going to be involved with the program you should support him as much as you can.  I for one don't believe in the leadership of the program so I am not wasting my money anymore.  The leadership doesn't care and severely underestimates how UNT alumni would step up if they were make a "big dawg" hire.  Houston is going up to 3 million to keep their coach.  I think 3 million here could land you coaches on the short list for P5 positions but 1.5 million at a toxic head coach killing climate at North Texas is not going to do it.  Go get a Skip Holtz

I truly hope hope for the sake of the current fans, that the next coach is one you all will support. I think that will be very important and he will definitely need plenty of time to get this thing turned around...probably three years at a minimum, to be honest. That's how bad it is here right now. When you are the worst team in the FBS, you don't turn around in a year--see SMU this season. 

For me, I'll root for UNT from a distance, hoping the new coach can help the program improve in every aspect needed right now. But the AD getting to keep his job and make this hire just was my line in the sand. Maybe when RV retires, dies, or just finally quits, I will feel differently, but it's just too hard to spend the money and time on this with a family to raise, only to see bottom 20 results with no consequences for leading that losing for 15 years. It's just beyond depressing. But as I said, I just hope that the new coach is well-received by those that RV hasn't run off yet. If he isn't, he has no chance of rebuilding this into a .500 or better program eventually.

• Upvote 3

I used to feel that we should all jump in and support a new coach, but the presence of RV taints that to the stinking end. I will wait and see who it is and also who the New coach hires for his assistants. RV should have been gone before this season started and now it is just insult to injury.

Here we go again...

I "got behind" the last two hires even though I didn't fully support the decision to hire them.  I'm not doing that, "just because that's what good fans do" this time. The only thing I can really get behind with this program is firing RV. 

Whoever the next coach is will have to earn my support.

• Upvote 4

Support of the new coach is a given.

Until we get someone in the AD position that screams carnivore, we won't turn the corner. All I see when I look at RV is a vegetarian. He's weak and doesn't care. Wins will help somewhat with the perception of the program. But when RV enters the room, he personifies an ineptitude that is worthy of dictionary illustrations. This is why he can't win in the negotiating world. If I were dealing with him, I'd punch him, take his Jimmy John's money and shove him in a locker. Not because I know what he's done to my beloved university, but because I know I can get away with it.

We need aggressiveness. He can't provide it. Get a new AD, we get a new athletic department.

• Upvote 3

It's wishful thinking to believe that the UNT fan base is going to all rally behind the new coach. Neither Smatresk nor RV has done anything to address the concerns of disgruntled fans since the McCarney firing. Instead, Smatresk stayed silent while RV portrayed us as a "minority" and made excuse after excuse in the press for a decade of poor performance in the top sports. I'm not aware of a single fan who got a direct response from Smatresk to a letter or email about football since the departure of the last coach.

So if there's no unity in how we respond when the coach is hired, that's a consequence of poor leadership.

I'll put the past behind us when the past isn't running our athletic department.

• Upvote 3