2 Finalists Leaked

jtm0097

Recruiting is about relationships and connections.  Just like business.  Both applewhite and Meacham would be great hires as far as recruiting goes without a doubt. 

Recruiting is a network.  The more connections you have, the better you can recruit.  Many times recruiters will share info with others as long as they are not in direct competition with the same player or conference.  If I need a QB and I am running short on time and resources, I should be able to call up a buddy that already has their QB situation sewn up and ask about QB recruits that they know of, but their team has passed on.  

• Upvote 3

Unless he was recruiting them or they're avid TCU fans, I doubt that. We often overrate just how much about college football these recruits know. Particularly before they actually go through the recruiting process (like the current juniors who will be our new coach's first full-cycle class).

but you are underestimating the impact parents, HS coaches, little league coaches, trainers, neighbors, family, teachers, etc have on the kids though.  

You are correct that these kids know little about it, so they ask and go off of what they are told.  And who will they ask?  What will come up when they or their parents Google the name?

• Upvote 2

So underwhelming and destined for failure.

I really hope the 4th unidentified candidate is much better than this group.

you wouldn't like the list if it included Meyers, Saban, Miles and Daddy Briles.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 5

but you are underestimating the impact parents, HS coaches, little league coaches, trainers, neighbors, family, teachers, etc have on the kids though.  

You are correct that these kids know little about it, so they ask and go off of what they are told.  And who will they ask?  What will come up when they or their parents Google the name?

I'm not underestimating the mentors and the research they do. The post I was responding said "I think Meacham should be known by recruits in the DFW area at least."

The homework you're referring to is more likely to happen once the ball gets rolling and they start being recruited by that school. What I'm saying is a bunch of recruits are not going to go "Dang! UNT hired Doug Meacham! I need to go check them out now." Unless they were being recruited by him prior. 

He has plenty to pitch, but if he gets hired he's going to have to go out and be the initiator with the vast majority of his targets. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be the case just like it was with Mccarney. A major problem for Mccarney was that he didn't seem to realize that, and did seem to feel a lot of recruits would know who he was right away and be lured in by his previous accomplishments.

I'm not necessarily opposed to Applewhite, but hiring an OC from someone we (generally) consider to be on. our level seems a little strange though. But que sera sera. 

well if you favor in that Houstons head coach is being rumored for some of the top spots in the country it makes more sense.

I always liked Applewhite.  Seemed like a smart player.  Not the most talented but a lot of heart.  He has a recognizable name here in Texas and that is important for us coming from Mac.

well if you favor in that Houstons head coach is being rumored for some of the top spots in the country it makes more sense.

I always liked Applewhite.  Seemed like a smart player.  Not the most talented but a lot of heart.  He has a recognizable name here in Texas and that is important for us coming from Mac.

I remember Applewhite when he played and appreciated that. I must confess my prejudice concerning him, however; he is a Whorn. Ask the average football fan to identify Major Applewhite and you are likely to get "University of Texas". There are already two "Teasip Lites" in our conference. I don't know that I could ever think of him as anything but a Longhorn and the media would be throwing that up in every interview and story. JMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So underwhelming and destined for failure.

I really hope the 4th unidentified candidate is much better than this group.

You can Google sir! Hired by Patterson, Broyles Award finalist in 2014, Kiffin also on the list won by Herman.

Turned down past opportunities, because he wanted his kids to finish school.

Was in charge of the Obs at Houston which included recruiting.

The resume is outstanding!

• Upvote 2

Why would today's young recruit give  a rats ass what Applewhite did during his college career? How is he a better recruiter than Meacham? He's had a few short stints with Texas, Alabsma, & Houston. How can he establish any relationships with zero stability?  Meacham comes from a DFW known, national top 20 program. I think the local recruits would be more familiar with Meacham & TCU's recent success. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Why would today's young recruit give  a rats ass what Applewhite did during his college career? How is he a better recruiter than Meacham? He's had a few short stints with Texas, Alabsma, & Houston. How can he establish any relationships with zero stability?  Meacham comes from a DFW known top 20 program. I think the local recruits would be more familiar with Meacham & TCU'd recent success. 

Applewhite was named recruiter of the year in the Big 12 while at Texas. Has Meacham ever earned such an award? And why does Applewhite have to stay at one school to establish relationships with coaches at different high schools?

• Upvote 4

Applewhite was named recruiter of the year in the Big 12 while at Texas. Has Meacham ever earned such an award? And why does Applewhite have to stay at one school to establish relationships with coaches at different high schools?

Oh wow, I'm impressed. He recruited well to UT. Lots of adversity to deal with......

You can Google sir! Hired by Patterson, Broyles Award finalist in 2014, Kiffin also on the list won by Herman.

Turned down past opportunities, because he wanted his kids to finish school.

Was in charge of the Obs at Houston which included recruiting.

The resume is outstanding!

Of the people we think are the finalist, he is the best option.

We should have better options. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Uh, Uh 2014 Broyles Award Finalist! Pick as one of the top 5 assistant coaches in the COUNTRY! Kiffin also nominated won by Herman! BAM!!!

• Upvote 1

Et tu, @BillySee58? This "head coach as lead recruiter" bullshit? Never expected it from you.

The teams with the most success in recruiting have head coaches who themselves are great recruiters. He signs off on every offer, and any player who has multiple options (the players we should be getting) isn't going to a school where the head coach has yet to forge a good relationship with him.

Even if he really likes his lead recruiter, the head coach has to stand out. That has to be true on a wide scale if we're going to sign a bunch of kids with good options.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In regard to the recruits, I'd argue that neither would really have name recognition. Major is well known to us older fans, but few of these high school kids know what Applewhite did at Texas.

I think Meacham can get more mileage out of telling recruits he coached Boykin and ran that TCU offense.

their coaches and parents know him very well...that's a huge influence right there 

Applewhite would be a steal--if you can get him here, you do it. Young, innovative, and very well-known. That would be a very un-RV type hire. 

• Upvote 2

recruiting is just like business...a head coach is not out there recruiting like he did as a position coach and coordinator.  Thats like a CEO doing journal entries, making sales calls, and working on spreadsheets.  A Head coaches biggest asset is who he knows.  His connections and relationships become way more important.

He has to assemble a solid staff to go out there a be the eyes and ears for him.  His connections can make it easier or harder for his staff.  Its up to that staff to grind and hustle to find talent to bring back to the group. It's up to those position coaches and coordinators to build a relationship with the recruits and put UNT on their top 3-5 list.

If i am a RB, is my position coach my main recruiter and did he have the power to offer me?  Has the OC contacted me and is he high on me as my main recruiter?  There's plenty of variables.

A head coach does not have time to waste, so when he hits the road, it has to count.  He comes in as the closer.  a lot has to go right before he even step in.  The head coach at UNT will be able to physically go out a recruit in the DFW area.  So it is very important that the new head coach can recruit close to Denton.  he may not have time to visit Texas and Louisiana, but there is enough talent in driving distance where he can make a huge difference.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Meacham is the recruiter we need. I think he's more of guy who is suited to take a team to the next level after they already have the pieces in place, like he did at TCU. From what I've seen, I would be surprised to see him recruit at Dodge's level. He seems like a low floor, low ceiling guy. I'm still not sure what I think about Applewhite. I like that he has had success at G5 schools. I would be shocked if it were Chambers.

If Meacham could get Curtis Luper, his college teammate and TCU RB coach, we might have that recruiting spark we need. Luper recruited both Cam Newton and Michael Dyer to Auburn and that worked out pretty well for a year.

• Upvote 3

If Meacham could get Curtis Luper, his college teammate and TCU RB coach, we might have that recruiting spark we need. Luper recruited both Cam Newton and Michael Dyer to Auburn and that worked out pretty well for a year.

if they could figure out how to get Luper in as a package with Meacham I would be thrilled.  He is TCU's top recruiter.  I do not think Patterson would let him get away easily.

Recruiting is about relationships and connections.  Just like business.  Both applewhite and Meacham would be great hires as far as recruiting goes without a doubt. 

Recruiting is a network.  The more connections you have, the better you can recruit.  Many times recruiters will share info with others as long as they are not in direct competition with the same player or conference.  If I need a QB and I am running short on time and resources, I should be able to call up a buddy that already has their QB situation sewn up and ask about QB recruits that they know of, but their team has passed on.  

This.

Meachum probably has deeper personal ties, but what HS coach in Texas doesn't know who and what Majors all about?  Both are going to be light years better than Mac at recruiting Texas and more specifically in the Denton – DFW area.