Navy vs Houston

GMG24

Yeah, I would love to see the comments you would throw out when we are running an antiquated offense that nobody, outside of three or four schools, runs anymore and our difficulty in finding kids to run that system since barely any high schools even run it anymore. 

Apparantly you don't keep up much with high school football.   Tons of schools run some form of an option offense, out of either the Pistol or the Flex Bone.  Below is a FWST article from last week about Burleson Centennial deciding to make a change two years ago that got them into the third round.

http://www.dfw.com/2015/11/25/1054659/grounded-burleson-centennial-football.html

But as I type I see Air Force just finished the regular season at 8-4, a Western Division MWC Championship and will play San Diego St for the overall MWC title with the triple option.  

But wait.......not before Bob Davey's New Mexico Lobos finished their regular season at 7-5 with a win tonight over the Falcons using the exact same triple option,...gettin bowl eligible for the first time in 8 years.  

I mean...Bob Davey is able to somehow able to find enough kids to come to the middle of freaking nowhere willing to run the triple option but North Texas,.....centered in the middle of one of the greatest regions of football talent couldnt possibly be expected to pull it off,...because well,...we're North Texas.

Rick 

Apparantly you don't keep up much with high school football.   Tons of schools run some form of an option offense, out of either the Pistol or the Flex Bone.  Below is a FWST article from last week about Burleson Centennial deciding to make a change two years ago that got them into the third round.

http://www.dfw.com/2015/11/25/1054659/grounded-burleson-centennial-football.html

But as I type I see Air Force just finished the regular season at 8-4, a Western Division MWC Championship and will play San Diego St for the overall MWC title with the triple option.  

But wait.......not before Bob Davey's New Mexico Lobos finished their regular season at 7-5 with a win tonight over the Falcons using the exact same triple option,...gettin bowl eligible for the first time in 8 years.  

I mean...Bob Davey is able to somehow able to find enough kids to come to the middle of freaking nowhere willing to run the triple option but North Texas,.....centered in the middle of one of the greatest regions of football talent couldnt possibly be expected to pull it off,...because well,...we're North Texas.

Rick 

STOP. It's old.  Can it work? Sure, but the prevalence of it, and the guys who coach it are few and far between. 

Burleson's district was real tough that season too ya?

Yes,... Centennial's district is tough considering it has Aledo in it now going for their 4th state title in 5 years.  And what offensive system does Aledo use?  The option out of the pistol formation.

Rick

come on, they get 4 per district 2 big school, two small. Who else besides Aledo? Not much. Triple option is great if you are established, but if you fall behind (turnovers or bad D) you are screwed. 

come on, they get 4 per district 2 big school, two small. Who else besides Aledo? Not much. Triple option is great if you are established, but if you fall behind (turnovers or bad D) you are screwed. 

If you know there isn't much triple option in their district then why ask me what schools are in it?  Don't you know?

Rick

Yep, I want us to run an offense that promises defeat once you fall behind by 14 or more. Hey FFR, I was referencing how many schools run a true option attack not schools that will utilize it as a part of their offense. How did that option attack work out for Navy and Air Force once they fell behind?

I would hope our offense would utilize aspects of the option, but it should not be what our system is built around. 

• Upvote 1

Yep, I want us to run an offense that promises defeat once you fall behind by 14 or more. Hey FFR, I was referencing how many schools run a true option attack not schools that will utilize it as a part of their offense. How did that option attack work out for Navy and Air Force once they fell behind?

I would hope our offense would utilize aspects of the option, but it should not be what our system is built around. 

Last night Air Force got down to UNM 34-14 and twice came back to pull within 6.  Despite eventually losing the game they now play for the MWC title next week.  And Navy sits at 9-2 going into next week's annual finale against Army.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I thought this Navy-UH game told us just how far away the best of the G5s are from us, the worst team in FBS. Guys, those two teams are light years ahead of us right now. Thankfully, we play two of the absolute dregs of FBS, SMU and Army, next season in OOC. 

I'm forever grateful to UTSA for starting their 4th and 5th string QBs when they came to town and lost to us by a TD in the 4th quarter. I pray we never see an 0-Fer season, because the two 1 win seasons we have endured in the last 8 have been amazingly awful. Speaking of which, since 2005, our program has had two one win seasons now, three two win seasons, two three win seasons, two four win seasons, a five win season, and a nine win season.  If you wonder why TCU fans and many others think this is a dead-end job, it's because that span covers 4 head coaches in those 11 seasons, with a cumulative record of 36-97...

thats what the new guy gets to jump head first into with the recruits, coaches, and parents, as well as what's left of this fanbase...and  we haven't mentioned the idiot AD yet. Folks, it's gonna take a lot of time. 

• Upvote 2