Meachum

TheReal_jayD

Meachum  

112 members have voted

1. 1. If Doug Meachum is the hired as the next head coach of the University of North Texas, are you all qualifying it as an underwhelming hire?

• YES
    • Absolutely Not

If Doug Meachum is the hire to be the next coach 

I think he is the perfect age to become a head coach, not to young and def not to old yet. And i think he would def be able to improve the offense if he was the hire. I got this part off of TCU's website which was pretty inspiring 

"Doug Meacham joined the TCU football staff as offensive coordinator in December 2013.

In his first season at TCU, Meacham helped the Horned Frogs become the nation's most improved offense in total yards (+188.2 ypg) and scoring (+21.4 ppg). TCU's 21.4 points per game improvement broke the Big 12 record of 19.1 set by Oklahoma in 1999 (35.8; 16.7, 1998) and was the largest improvement by any team since Northwestern went up 24.0 points between 1999-00.

The 2014 Horned Frogs ranked second in the nation in scoring (46.5 ppg) and tied for fifth in total offense (533.0 ypg). TCU set 26 school records for offense in winning its first Big 12 championship as well as the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

Meacham was a 2014 finalist for the Broyles Award, recognizing the nation's top assistant coach."

It would be nice if UNT could have similar improvement in the next few years. I know it wouldn't be over night. But the guy is obviously experienced. Maybe he could also bring some assistants from TCU along with him like Running backs coach Curtis Luper (also played college ball with Meachum)  to be an OC here, maybe as a possibility.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It depends. If he is able to cover his 6 with a competent defensive assistant...OK. We cannot afford to just focus on offense, allow every game to be a shootout, and try to have the last possession every game.

• Upvote 2

It depends. If he is able to cover his 6 with a competent defensive assistant...OK. We cannot afford to just focus on offense, allow every game to be a shootout, and try to have the last possession every game.

I'm sure Patterson has some defensive coordinator proteges we could try to snag while we are at it..

a596d7e2a5d48a885a20fd7e3340af43.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I like Meachum and would be very happy if we hired him. He has experience running and play calling a high powered Texas offense and has been around a while. I also think it is important that he comes from a program that understand how critical a strong defense is too. I think he could build North Texas into a solid program.

• Upvote 2

What do we know about this guy as a recruiter?

Don't know which players he recruited to TCU, but the guy is no stranger to Texas football. He was at Houston before going to TCU and coached for Oklahoma State for 8 years before that, so he has experience recruiting in Texas. He has a lengthy record of getting college offenses to produce at every stop in his career. Plus he's from Arlington.

The list of head coaching jobs is growing by the week. Guess we will see how this thing shakes out in the next few days or weeks.

• Upvote 2

He would be great. I admire Patterson more than any coach in football. He has done more with less than anybody I can think of. Him hiring Meacham is big endorsement for me!

Meacham was in charge of Qb recruiting at Houston and that worked out pretty good!

I think he could be the one because of his age and our location to his family. He has turned down moves before because of his kids and school.

He is really going to have the high school contacts and coaching contacts.

A comparison to Benford is stupid , because an OC or DC coaches during the live game! 

• Upvote 3

He would be great. I admire Patterson more than any coach in football. He has done more with less than anybody I can think of. Him hiring Meacham is big endorsement for me!

Meacham was in charge of Qb recruiting at Houston and that worked out pretty good!

I think he could be the one because of his age and our location to his family. He has turned down moves before because of his kids and school.

He is really going to have the high school contacts and coaching contacts.

A comparison to Benford is stupid , because an OC or DC coaches during the live game! 

So does this mean he would not live in Denton?

• Upvote 1

So does this mean he would not live in Denton?

Honestly, he seems like a level headed guy; not moving until his hs junior daughter graduates, but otherwise continually improving his situation.  I cannot think of why any level headed person would want a commute from Arlington to Denton.  Living in Euless, just north of Arlington, I can't think of why I would want to be on either 157 or 360 northbound on a weekday morning.  Of course, if you're driving through there at 5:30 in the morning, maybe you wouldn't want to be killing the guy in the next car over, and could handle it till your remaining kids in school finish out the year.

Honestly, he seems like a level headed guy; not moving until his hs junior daughter graduates, but otherwise continually improving his situation.  I cannot think of why any level headed person would want a commute from Arlington to Denton.  Living in Euless, just north of Arlington, I can't think of why I would want to be on either 157 or 360 northbound on a weekday morning.  Of course, if you're driving through there at 5:30 in the morning, maybe you wouldn't want to be killing the guy in the next car over, and could handle it till your remaining kids in school finish out the year.

he would probably be driving in at 4-4:30 at the office by 5:30 and leave around 9-9:30

• Upvote 2

I just talked to a guy that played at OSU when DM was there. He said Meachum was a cool guy that really knows his football. I asked him about his recruiting skills and he said he was one of the best. I would be good with this hire. 

That's great to hear.  It's hard to believe he just showed up at these places, his units began to enjoy greater success, and he had nothing to do with it.