UNT down to 4 Finalists- No Names Leaked

jtm0097

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

North Texas: Multiple sources have told us UNT has identified four finalists and the interview process is ongoing. As we’ve written from day one, expect the Mean Green to go with a Power Five offensive coordinator who runs a spread scheme.

Edited by Eagle-96

• Harry featured this topic

If it's a young P5 coordinator, expect to be going through this again in another 4 years...

Just sayin...

Serious questions. 1. Are there any young OCs(P5 or G5) you would be ok with and 2. Does your stance on a young P5 OC change depending on who he brings with him to be OC and DC?

Serious questions. 1. Are there any young OCs(P5 or G5) you would be ok with and 2. Does your stance on a young P5 OC change depending on who he brings with him to be OC and DC?

He throws verbal tantrums when things don't go exactly how he presented them to his own mind. He wants Fritz and in his opinion anyone else is a bust. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Welp, looks like we gettin' Lil' Briles.  We can start taking bets on which P5 coordinator within a 300 mile radius  Slick Rick has decided to go with. 

Good luck to you Everett Withers, wherever you decide to take your impressive resume.  Hell, I don't even know if he's even applied....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Downvote 2

You can throw the young out of it. I don't want a P5 coordinator who doesn't understand the hardships, perception problems, and culture difficulties (both inside the AD with RV still in control and with our fan base) he is going to face leading this program.

Do you think a P5 coordinator is going to be ready to deal with the MASSIVE dysfunction that is prevalent throughout this program?

I'd much rather see a Thomason, Fritz, or even a FCS head coach that had built his program from the ground up than a P5 coordinator that is going to be absolutely shocked at the lack of standards that he finds inside this AD. 

Those other kind of guys are used to finding and fixing these types of problems. A P5 coordinator isn't.

Not to mention this is the typical reactionary hire I would expect from RV. It will be an OC who runs the spread. Bank it.

And it will fail massively.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4

My opinion on the whole thing is that UNT seems hell bent on paying somebody, anybody, over a million a year just for the sake of paying over a million a year.  There are coaches worth that.  Then there are others with upside, but unknown variables, who might be better with the $600k range.  If we're gonna pay out the kind of scratch that I keep hearing, this guy better be damn impressive.

Would a Mike Norvell HC with Mike Jinks as OC be impressive. How about Cumbie and Jinks.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

He throws verbal tantrums when things don't go exactly how he presented them to his own mind. He wants Fritz and in his opinion anyone else is a bust. 

I think you should look inward, young Ben.

I'm fine with going through this in four years . . . if said young P5 coordinator has turned this program around and is now getting poached to be the HC at a P5 school.

Ya, except we will be coming off a 3-9 year and the coach will be getting fired...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

My opinion on the whole thing is that UNT seems hell bent on paying somebody, anybody, over a million a year just for the sake of paying over a million a year.  There are coaches worth that.  Then there are others with upside, but unknown variables, who might be better with the $600k range.  If we're gonna pay out the kind of scratch that I keep hearing, this guy better be damn impressive.

Because goddamit, we're to be respected. Right? 

I'm afraid you may be right and that bothers me a lot. Among other things, it'll make any future buyouts just that much more painful. You don't always get what you pay for.

UNT90 is right about one thing. RV has proven he overreacts to what is said on here. He's done it with the last two football hires, and if it's a young offensive guy then he appears to be doing it again. But, that doesn't mean it won't work out.

Saying we should not hire a young coordinator, or an FCS coach or any other blanket thing is silly. Talent is talent. If he can coach and recruit it doesn't matter his resume. It wouldn't matter if he just graduated college. Question is, can the people doing the hiring find this person? History says no. Hopefully this time they do.

The guys mentioned like Fritz or maybe even Jinks and others seem like a good choice but I suspect they aren't exciting enough for this board/fan base. RV likes to give the fans what they want in a coach forgetting that what we want is to not lose, and it's his job to find it regardless of if they run option, spread, all-time offense or whatever. 

• Upvote 7