Starting to warm up to Jinks

Harry

And none of them worked out. Seems that bringing in the old guard HCs from P5s is a failed experiment outside of Frank Solich. Even he seems like a good, not great, hire.

First off, I agree on the failed part. No question it has failed, at least in the examples I gave. But the point is that we have had people to compare our head coach with in the tenure we made our original hire. In my opinion, Mac clearly lost that battle to Coker, probably equaled Franchione. Our best win was over Ball State in 2013. Each of the others beat UH, who is much higher up the totem pole than Ball State is. UTSA beat us both times Dan McCarney was on the sidelines when we played them.

Littrell will be compared to Morris at SMU, Montgomery at Tulsa, Jinks at Bowling Green, and Norvell at Memphis over the course of the next 5 years, as well as anyone else hired by a G5 team in this region in the next year or so. I think its good to have those kind of coaches to compare with during that timeframe.

• Upvote 1

First off, I agree on the failed part. No question it has failed, at least in the examples I gave. But the point is that we have had people to compare our head coach with in the tenure we made our original hire. In my opinion, Mac clearly lost that battle to Coker, probably equaled Franchione. Our best win was over Ball State in 2013. Each of the others beat UH, who is much higher up the totem pole than Ball State is. UTSA beat us both times Dan McCarney was on the sidelines when we played them.

One thing we have over the other two is a bowl win.

• Upvote 1

UTSA really made a mistake not letting go of Coker this year. He was the right guy to jump start that program and give it some early credibility, but they're at the point where they need to find the guy who's going to take them to the next level. 

It's nice to see another school pull a UNT for once.

While I agree, it is an interesting management case study. If Lynn Hickey fires Coker after last season, the press would basically be outraged that she cut him loose after "one" bad season. It would be akin to the Ruffin McNeill reaction. It is only after Coker really leaves no doubt that he has reached his ceiling that makes it a good hire.

So Hickey is weighing the negative alumni reaction for cutting him loose early (likely really bad with big donors who were likely sold on Coker in the first place) / and bad performance (likely most negative in general fan interest, losing local media support I suppose). Which is worse? 

Glad we are done with that and hired a candidate with lots of potential. Could you have imagined if McCarney had salvaged this season enough to get something like 4-5 wins? Ugh. 

• 2 years later...