Georgia 23 - Ga. Southern 17 in OT

UNT90

Willie Fritz's team leads most of the second half before Georgia ties it late and wins in OT. 

I really hope we have at least asked this guy if he is interested, but with RV's propensity for the reactive hire, I bet we haven't. 

This guy wins everywhere he coaches.  Ga. Southern is a second year FBS program that Fritz had poised for a huge win. Between the hedges. On senior day. 

Ga. Southern will be favored over S. Alabama and Georgia St. in their final 2 games and will most likely win 9 games this year.

As a second year FCS program.

Have we approached Willie Fritz?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are in total agreement. This is a battle tested HEAD COACH that can put together a staff. He does not have to have on the job training which frankly North Texas has no time for. The only reason Geoprgia pulled this out was the difference in depth that finally wore Southern down. This is the direction we should be taking. We need someone who knows how to respond to adverse situations as a HEAD COACH. Head coaches make DECISIONS; assistant coaches make SUGESSTIONS. It is a HUGE leap for an assistant to come to this disfunctual program and not be overwhelmed immediately!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Every time Fritz has jumped to a new job in higher division. He left juco Blinn for D2, left D2 Central Missouri for FCS Sam Houston State, and left SHSU for FBS Georgia Southern. He has never left for a slightly better conference at the same level. If he leaves GSU it will be for a P5 program, someone on the board already said Fritz is not interested. How about you give us your plan B @UNT90?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

Willie Fritz's team leads most of the second half before Georgia toes it late and wins in OT. 

I really hope we have at least asked this guy if he is interested, but with RV's propensity for the reactive hire, I bet we haven't. 

This guy wins everywhere he coaches.  Ga. Southern is a second year FBS program that Fritz had poised for a huge win. Between the hedges. On senior day. 

Ga. Southern will be favored over Georgia Tech next week. 

If we really can go 1.2-1.5 mil a year, I'd plunk it down for him and at least make him say no.

My favorite for the job by a wide margin. 

• Upvote 1

Willie Fritz's team leads most of the second half before Georgia ties it late and wins in OT. 

Ga. Southern will be favored over S. Alabama and Georgia St. in their final 2 games and will most likely win 9 games this year.

As a second year FCS program.

Have we approached Willie Fritz?

Yeah and his decision making and play calling in the 4th/OT was atrocious. He cost them the game. No thank you

• Downvote 2

Every time Fritz has jumped to a new job in higher division. He left juco Blinn for D2, left D2 Central Missouri for FCS Sam Houston State, and left SHSU for FBS Georgia Southern. He has never left for a slightly better conference at the same level. If he leaves GSU it will be for a P5 program, someone on the board already said Fritz is not interested. How about you give us your plan B @UNT90.

"Somebody" being who? And how do they know? Have we asked? 

Getting paid $1 million more a year to come back to the state you coached on for years may be enough. May not be.

Have we tried? My guess is we have never reached out to him.

"Somebody" being who? And how do they know? Have we asked? 

Getting paid $1 million more a year to come back to the state you coached on for years may be enough. May not be.

Have we tried? My guess is we have never reached out to him.

he is getting paid $0 now to coach Georgia Southern? because how do we know we are going over a million for a coach?

It is a HUGE leap for an assistant to come to this disfunctual program and not be overwhelmed immediately!!!

So much this!! 

A Briles or a Rielly would be shocked at the laziness and dysfunction inside the athletic department. They would soon become discouraged that they aren't working in a professional environment and quit, just like DMac did. 

Hire a proven head coach that has won in tough situations, because he is coming into the toughest one in FBS. Facilities don't matter when you have the level of dysfunction and kingdom building that UNT has in the athletic department.  

he is getting paid $0 now to coach Georgia Southern? because how do we know we are going over a million for a coach?

We will go about 1.2 million. 

If we get the candidate we want.,

Possibly even if we don't. 

If Fritz is interested, we should go to 1.5.

Mark it and let's talk after the hire.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

So much this!! 

A Briles or a Rielly would be shocked at the laziness and dysfunction inside the athletic department. They would soon become discouraged that they aren't working in a professional environment and quit, just like DMac did. 

Hire a proven head coach that has won in tough situations, because he is coming into the toughest one in FBS. Facilities don't matter when you have the level of dysfunction and kingdom building that UNT has in the athletic department.  

We will go about 1.2 million. 

If we get the candidate we want.,

Possibly even if we don't. 

Mark it and let's talk after the hire.

i have said it numerous times here on the board i love Fritz, I think their is a ton of us on here on the board that would love to have him here. I HOPE I AM WRONG, but i just don't see him making a lateral move or even backwards when he is one step away from a P5 school. Only way we have a chance is if he has zero desire to coach at a P5 school and just wants to get back to Texas. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that Fritz should be approached first and try to money whip him along with an offer to come back to Texas. 

My hope is he would demand a commitment for IPF as part of the deal.  No reason, just hope he or the selected candidate asks for it.

He seems to be the most realistic 'stretch' for us that is a proven coach and meet most of the criteria. 

After Fritz, it probably means going down the path of the unproven coordinator, which could also work but seems a little more risky. 

• Upvote 1

http://sports.newsday.com/long-island/data/college/college-football/coaches-salaries/willie-fritz/

He makes $400k, of which $300k is paid through a seperate contract with the Ga. Southern athletic foundation that runs for 2 more years after 2015. Interesting. The university is on a year to year contract with him.

He made 400k in 2014.

Would he come here for triple the salary? Would Ga. Southern attempt to come anywhere close to a match? 

But we won't pursue him. Because this program under RV rarely does things that make sense.

• Upvote 1

Oh good.... it's been about 48 hrs since the board last talked about Fritz and how we should go after him hard.  Totally ignoring the fact that he has his sites set on larger programs.

Maybe, maybe not.

Has UNT even inquired? Or has RV's love of the 30 year old coordinator who has never been a head coach, much less a head coach of a dysfunctional G5 program like UNT, been so focused that Fritz has never even been approached?

I bet he was never a candidate from UNT's end.

Also, several people on here said Fritz's team doesn't play anybody (despite close losses last year to a ranked Ga. Tech and NC State). Well, this stupid fan base celebrated a 24 point loss between the hedges. Fritz just played in that same stadium and took UG to overtime. He would be bronzed alive if he did the same thing at UNT.

It's very relevant.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

http://sports.newsday.com/long-island/data/college/college-football/coaches-salaries/willie-fritz/

He makes $400k, of which $300k is paid through a seperate contract with the Ga. Southern athletic foundation that runs for 2 more years after 2015. Interesting. The university is on a year to year contract with him.

He made 400k in 2014.

Would he come here for triple the salary? Would Ga. Southern attempt to come anywhere close to a match? 

But we won't pursue him. Because this program under RV rarely does things that make sense.

It's interesting because Fritz and Briles are sort of on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of coaching candidates.

posted some Fritz and Briles thoughts in a separate thread here:  http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/109250-fritz-and-briles-thoughts/

Maybe, maybe not.

Has UNT even inquired? Or has RV's love of the 30 year old coordinator who has never been a head coach, much less a head coach of a dysfunctional G5 program like UNT, been so focused that Fritz has never even been approached?

I bet he was never a candidate from UNT's end.

Also, several people on here said Fritz's team doesn't play anybody (despite close losses last year to a ranked Ga. Tech and NC State). Well, this stupid fan base celebrated a 24 point loss between the hedges. Fritz just played in that same stadium and took UG to overtime. He would be bronzed alive if he did the same thing at UNT.

It's very relevant.

So basically you are going all in on a guy that has never turned around a 1-11 program from a school that is currently winning conference championships in a league just below ours? And why would he come here? Money? By the time someone hires Fritz away, our $1.2 million is going t look like chump change. UH is willing to pay $3 million and Memphis over $3 million to keep their current guys. Someone like Fritz isn't going to jump from a successful program to one in such disarray for a few hundred thousand more. It ain't going to happen. Also, Todd Monken beat Florida with Georgia  Southern the year before Fritz took over while they were still FCS.

It's interesting because Fritz and Briles are sort of on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of coaching candidates.

posted some Fritz and Briles thoughts in a separate thread here:  http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/109250-fritz-and-briles-thoughts/

Didn't see that thread, Harry. I agree with just about everything you said. I would add that I think Briles would be one very discouraged very early if RV is still running (or really not running) the AD. That will be tough for a 33 year old to handle.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind that Fritz is winning with Monken's players at GSU. If you look at his history, he seems to come in and do great with the last guy's players and then trend downward. That reeks of McCarney to me.

Watching the game yesterday one thing is clear .. GSU has a lot of very talented players. Regardless of who got them to GSU, Fritz is maximizing their talents.

• Upvote 1

So basically you are going all in on a guy that has never turned around a 1-11 program from a school that is currently winning conference championships in a league just below ours? And why would he come here? Money? By the time someone hires Fritz away, our $1.2 million is going t look like chump change. UH is willing to pay $3 million and Memphis over $3 million to keep their current guys. Someone like Fritz isn't going to jump from a successful program to one in such disarray for a few hundred thousand more. It ain't going to happen. Also, Todd Monken beat Florida with Georgia  Southern the year before Fritz took over while they were still FCS.

Jeez dude. Please look deeper. He turned around a bad Sam Houston program, taking them to 2 FCS national title games. He also took a terrible Blinn JC program and transformed it into the national power it is today, for which he is a member of the NJCAA hall of fame.

There is also a big difference from one upset to playing FBS competition on a week in and week out basis. That's what he did last year, and he went undefeated in the Sunbelt. His Sunbelt conference record after 2 years is 13-1. 

Research is a good thing. 

this Fritz quote is a telling one, from when he was leaving Sam Houston to take the Georgia Southern Job:

Fritz finished his final season as the Bearkat head coach with a 9-5 record, his worst record at SHSU next to his first season at the school. The absence of senior Bearkats Timothy Flanders, Brian Bell and Tanner Brock didn’t make things easier for Fritz heading into the 2014 season until he accepted the job at Georgia Southern.

“This is my fourth head coaching job,” Fritz said. “At the other three schools, the common denominator was the programs were on a downward spiral. That isn’t the case here.

http://houstonianonline.com/2014/01/16/shsu-scrambles-for-new-head-coach-after-fritzs-departure/

Yeah and his decision making and play calling in the 4th/OT was atrocious. He cost them the game. No thank you

This can't be your only problem against him.  The guy wins everywhere he goes, takes Georgia to OT, and you're at "no thanks" because of a bad 4th/OT?

Edited by greenminer