BOR Mtg Today

KRAM1

First...let me say here for purposes of disclosure...I have tried mightily to post a link to this Denton Record Chronicle article.  I have been recently chasticized for not doing so.  I apologize ahead of time...I tried...I cannot figure it out.  If someone who can would be so kind, please post a link.  I want to give the good folks at the DRC all the credit they should have.  Ok, with that out of the way...

There has been a decent bit of discussion and comment regarding the UNT Board of Regents and their position regarding athletics and how they should or should not respond.  If you are interested in seeing just what the BOR spends a good bit of its time on, take a look at the short piece on page 3A of today's Denton Record-Chronicle written by Jenna Duncan, staff writer for the DRC.

I will not summarize the article here as I have been told that is "not cool" unless I also post a direct link to the article.  So, please someone help me out here and post that link for us.  Otherwise, check it out in today's paper...hard copy or on-line.

It should help some folks more clearly understand the role of the BOR.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

First...let me say here for purposes of disclosure...I have tried mightily to post a link to this Denton Record Chronicle article.  I have been recently chasticized for not doing so.  I apologize ahead of time...I tried...I cannot figure it out.  If someone who can would be so kind, please post a link.  I want to give the good folks at the DRC all the credit they should have.  Ok, with that out of the way...

There has been a decent bit of discussion and comment regarding the UNT Board of Regents and their position regarding athletics and how they should or should not respond.  If you are interested in seeing just what the BOR spends a good bit of its time on, take a look at the short piece on page 3A of today's Denton Record-Chronicle written by Jenna Duncan, staff writer for the DRC.

I will not summarize the article here as I have been told that is "not cool" unless I also post a direct link to the article.  So, please someone help me out here and post that link for us.  Otherwise, check it out in today's paper...hard copy or on-line.

It should help some folks more clearly understand the role of the BOR.

Yeah, 0 surprise. No mention of athletics, KRAM. What exactly was the point of starting this thread? 

The BOR can all quit, immediately. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

For those who may not be aware, it is re-accreditation time for UNT.  I believe the accreditation folks show up in June of 2016.  A very large part of the process this time for all colleges and universities, by the way, will be an evaluation of their mission and vision statements along with their core values and exactly how they are executing on those statements and core values.  It is not just "nice to read stuff" any longer...it will be tracked, evaluated and reviewed in depth.  Apparently this started in 2013 with the colleges and universities going through the re-accreditation process starting in 2013 after new accreditation standards were developed and published.  Some universities have a long way to go in aligning their core values, mission and vision statements with what they are actually doing.  Fortunately, UNT is in much better shape, but "cleaning it all up" and aligning it even more closely with actual results, programs and emphasis is still being pursued from the BOR down across all university colleges.  This is the sort of thing BOR's are charged with doing...oversight...not micromanagement of individual campus administration.  They review and approve or not plans and action items presented to them from the universities they oversee.  They do not get into day to day management issues as a general rule.  It is very rare that they would at any university.  It is not their job to do so.

Fortunately or unfortunately for me, which ever way you look at it, I was asked and am serving on the College of Business committee tasked with reviewing and re-writing, if necessary, the COB's vision and mission statements along with its core values.  I am the outside/alumni representative and we have an assistant dean, several professors and an undergrad student on the committee.  I figured this might be a tad boring when first accepting the ask from the COB, but if our first meeting this week was any indication, this is going to be a lively, educational and entertaining assignment...even if it does seem likeit is going to be much more work than I envisioned.  As much as we might want to poo poo these mission and vision statements (everyone in business has them too it seems these days), they are actually a very critical part of the overall accreditation process for colleges and universities these days and are being matched up against what the college/university is actually doing.  So, no more lip service to these "nice to have" statements.  

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Here's the link, not much here though. 

Denton R to da C

I'm pretty sure that's not the article he's talking about. However, doing a google search of Jenna Duncan's name and searching the DR-C's website yields me nothing but this article for me as well. 

So yeah, unless KRAM can find a link, himself, I'm not sure we'll be able to see it.

It's not that it's the cool thing to do Mark. It's just that 90% of us don't live in Denton County and don't subscribe to the DRC. Posting a link is the only way that many of us will ever be able to see what you were referring to

Exactly.

• Upvote 2

It's not that it's the cool thing to do Mark. It's just that 90% of us don't live in Denton County and don't subscribe to the DRC. Posting a link is the only way that many of us will ever be able to see what you were referring to

Oh, I get that, Joe, but I was criticized by a member of the Denton Record-Chronicle staff.  I do try...just cannot seem to be able to find how to attach a link tomGMG.Com .... Just like it never allows me to posts photos or other media.  I end up sending it to Harry and asking if he will post it for me.  Just like I did with that Christmas ornament silent auction item.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Oh, I get that, Joe, but I was criticized by a member of the Denton Record-Staff.  I do try...just cannot seem to be able to find how to attach a link tomGMG.Com .... Just like it never allows me to posts photos or other media.  I end up sending it to Harry and asking if he will post it for me.  Just like I did with that Christmas ornament silent auction item.

Mark, if you want to add a link you must copy and paste the link, then click on the little Link button at the top of your comment section.  It goes Bold, Italics, Underline, then Link click that, then paste whatever you have copied into that box and your link should work.  Put it in the link url box. 

• Upvote 1

All of the latest buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................................................words.  Core values, etc.,etc.,.........moving forward.............at the end of the day..........blah....blah.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

I hate buzzwords.  I've run off company reps who have called saying the just wanted to "reach out" to me.  I've told them all, don't "reach" anywhere near me.  Send over your company's appetite, guidelines, and annual requirements, and that's that.

Another one a little while back was "platforms."  We're going to explore this or that on a different platform.  Look, you're not exploring it in any different way.  You are either accepting the class of business as a risk or you are not.  Middle management may have sent you on a some Quixotic platform goose chase; but, no one else is following along, sonny boy.

The actuaries and accountants will rule the day; don't f'ing give me this "platforms" bullsh*t.  Tell me what your company wants written and get out of the way of our agency and the underwriters.

And, the "core values"...is there anything more phony?  You and I are all trying to make/keep our enterprises profitable.  I understand you have to now dress it up a little for the sake of...whom?  Marketing professors?  Sociologists?  Get real.  At the "end of the day," if I'm not performing, you are going to "cut me loose."  And, I'm going to be the same way with you...no matter which "core values" we "share."

So, freaking phony.  It's the 21st Century's "mission statement" that "core value" hooey.

Another big one is "added value."  I went round and round for about 10 minutes one day with a kid trying to get me to ditch our current management system and use theirs.  I kept trying to get him to tell me what the major difference was between the two systems, and he kept at me with this, "Our system gives your customer added value."

How?  He didn't know.  He kept going down the list of things our current management system already does - or, that were available directly from the insurers.  Again and again:  

Son, how does it "add value" again?

Um...(says list of things our current system already does)

Son, our current system already does those things.  So, tell me the cost per person/desk.

Well, ours "adds value" for your customers, so it's this many dollar more than you are paying for your current system.

Stupid.

• Upvote 3

Mark, if you want to add a link you must copy and paste the link, then click on the little Link button at the top of your comment section.  It goes Bold, Italics, Underline, then Link click that, then paste whatever you have copied into that box and your link should work.  Put it in the link url box. 

Been there....done that...tried that...just can't figure it out.   Did try the copy and paste thing.  Tried everything that I know...just having challenges with GMG.Com and getting it to work for me.  I realize others have no challenges with this thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I hate buzzwords.  I've run off company reps who have called saying the just wanted to "reach out" to me.  I've told them all, don't "reach" anywhere near me.  Send over your company's appetite, guidelines, and annual requirements, and that's that.

Another one a little while back was "platforms."  We're going to explore this or that on a different platform.  Look, you're not exploring it in any different way.  You are either accepting the class of business as a risk or you are not.  Middle management may have sent you on a some Quixotic platform goose chase; but, no one else is following along, sonny boy.

The actuaries and accountants will rule the day; don't f'ing give me this "platforms" bullsh*t.  Tell me what your company wants written and get out of the way of our agency and the underwriters.

And, the "core values"...is there anything more phony?  You and I are all trying to make/keep our enterprises profitable.  I understand you have to now dress it up a little for the sake of...whom?  Marketing professors?  Sociologists?  Get real.  At the "end of the day," if I'm not performing, you are going to "cut me loose."  And, I'm going to be the same way with you...no matter which "core values" we "share."

So, freaking phony.  It's the 21st Century's "mission statement" that "core value" hooey.

Another big one is "added value."  I went round and round for about 10 minutes one day with a kid trying to get me to ditch our current management system and use theirs.  I kept trying to get him to tell me what the major difference was between the two systems, and he kept at me with this, "Our system gives your customer added value."

How?  He didn't know.  He kept going down the list of things our current management system already does - or, that were available directly from the insurers.  Again and again:  

Son, how does it "add value" again?

Um...(says list of things our current system already does)

Son, our current system already does those things.  So, tell me the cost per person/desk.

Well, ours "adds value" for your customers, so it's this many dollar more than you are paying for your current system.

Stupid.

Well, you certainly are not very "engaging" with people!!!

LOL!

• Upvote 2

Been there....done that...tried that...just can't figure it out.   Did try the copy and paste thing.  Tried everything that I know...just having challenges with GMG.Com and getting it to work for me.  I realize others have no challenges with this thing.

if you will email me the link I'll post it for you. Pm me for email