NT Daily vs Vito

Dr. Seuss

How about the NT Daily and their coverage on the basketball teams!  Sidway is really impressing me, he's developing these writers into actually writers unlike a lot of Vito's post. (I never really read the NT Daily before)

I liked how the NT Daily recapped the game and posted the same night, like how ESPN does it.  Unlike, how Vito's blog was a couple quotes, @FirefightnRick tweet and a CUSA tweet posted the next day at 11:50 AM.  I know he was working on a piece for the paper but even the paper version wasn't written as well, it too was mainly quotes.  Then, too top it all off he had a negative quote in the middle of the piece....

Only six were available by the end of the night after three UNT players fouled out.

A short roster was just one of the reasons expectations for UNT were low heading into the season. UNT finished 5-24 a year ago in its final season under Mike Petersen and was picked to finish last in Conference USA in the league’s preseason coaches poll.

Why bring up last year?  Last year has nothing to do with this year.  Who cares about the preseason, the season has started.  NT Daily started off saying that they lost in to San Fran in the opening game (fact and current), but ended the paragraph talking about the win and never stopped talking about the positives for UNT.

Has anyone else noticed the change? Read these two post and tell me which one excites you more as a reader?

http://ntdaily.com/womens-basketball-completes-historic-upset-of-no-17-oklahoma/

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/11/huge-win-for-the-unt-women.html/

Or even the section in the UNT Notebook

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20151117-unt-notebook-mitchell-makes-waves-with-win-over-ou.ece

I'd drive up to Denton game to catch the woman and men play back to back after reading Clay Massey's piece.  I'd go back to GMG and complain about RV in every thread after reading Vito's.

Damnit, I told myself I wouldn't bring up RV in a thread that has nothing to do with the Athletic Dept.

Sidenote- Does anyone use AD for Athletic Director and AD for Athletic Department?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

I have no issue with Vito making the comment about the short bench. It's a reality and, I think, an important item to discuss. Bringing up last year is also appropriate. It's highlights how far Jalie has brought the team in such a short time and allows that it will not be all sunshine and roses this year.

IMO, a better Vito complaint is how he has carefully handled Benford. He crushed Dodge at every opportunity and even though Benford looks at least as clueless he's been overly nice.

• Upvote 6

The papers have way different purposes. The NT Daily is a school run paper, and the school wants positive stories. I wouldn't be surprised if Sidway took a bunch of crap for talking about RV's losing record and the banner. I wouldn't be surprised if he was told that wasn't the purpose of the school newspaper.

DRC on the other hand SHOULD be a little less encumbered in printing the truth. Unfortunately, Vito learned a hard lesson when Dodge was here that printing the truth comes at a huge cost under this athletic director. That is why the DRC editors did the op-ed calling for change in the AD position and not Vito. His access would be cut off in a second.

No one kingdom builds like RV.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

The papers have way different purposes. The NT Daily is a school run paper, and the school wants positive stories. I wouldn't be surprised if Sidway took a bunch of crap for talking about RV's losing record and the banner. I wouldn't be surprised if he was told that wasn't the purpose of the school newspaper.

DRC on the other hand SHOULD be a little less encumbered in printing the truth. Unfortunately, Vito learned a hard lesson when Dodge was here that printing the truth comes at a huge cost under this athletic director. That is why the DRC editors did the op-ed calling for change in the AD position and not Vito. His access would be cut off in a second.

I highly doubt Sidway is being told anything by anyone.   Sidway is a student with no livelihood on the line.  He's just 'studying' and 'putting together a portfolio' for when he eventually has a sportswriting gig.   He can ask the hard-hitting questions and report on whatever he wants East-coast-sports-media style, because he doesn't need to be worried about losing his only beat and therefor, losing his job.  
Why RV had a 2-hour sit-down with him... I have no idea.  Probably thought he was smart enough to outwit some dumb student.  That obviously backfired.

You're spot on about Brett/DRC coverage.  Brett has a thin wire to walk on when trying to report factually and keeping the access to report factually.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I have no issue with Vito making the comment about the short bench. It's a reality and, I think, an important item to discuss. Bringing up last year is also appropriate. It's highlights how far Jalie has brought the team in such a short time and allows that it will not be all sunshine and roses this year.

IMO, a better Vito complaint is how he has carefully handled Benford. He crushed Dodge at every opportunity and even though Benford looks at least as clueless he's been overly nice.

Not talking about the short bench, that was only there to show what he was talking about with the short bench "UNT finished 5-24 a year ago in its final season under Mike Petersen and was picked to finish last in Conference USA in the league’s preseason coaches poll." This is what I'm talking about.

I highly doubt Sidway is being told anything by anyone.   Sidway is a student with no livelihood on the line.  He's just 'studying' and 'putting together a portfolio' for when he eventually has a sportswriting gig.   He can ask the hard-hitting questions and report on whatever he wants East-coast-sports-media style, because he doesn't need to be worried about losing his only beat and therefor, losing his job.  Why RV had a 2-hour sit-down with him... I have no idea.  Probably thought he was smart enough to outwit some dumb student.  That obviously backfired.

You're spot on about Brett/DRC coverage.  Brett has a thin wire to walk on when trying to report factually and keeping the access to report factually.

The guy is 28 years old with 2 masters degrees in Music is just some student... Here's his linkedin page https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottsidway

Edited by Dr. Seuss

The guy is 28 years old with 2 masters degrees in Music is just some student... Here's his linked page https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottsidway

Age means nothing here.  He's an accomplished and very educated musician.  That's fantastic.

Is he putting food on his family's table & keeping the lights on with the articles he writes for UNT sports in the NT daily?    Brett Vito is.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Age means nothing here.  He's an accomplished and very educated musician.  That's fantastic.

Is he putting food on his family's table & keeping the lights on with the articles he writes for UNT sports in the NT daily?    Brett Vito is.

This has nothing to do with the questions.... This has all to do with the layout of the article and the timing.  If you can't understand that I'm talking about the writing style of the two/ three articles in the post and not his twitter account..

I liked how the NT Daily recapped the game and posted the same night, like how ESPN does it.  Unlike, how Vito's blog was a couple quotes, @FirefightnRick tweet and a CUSA tweet posted the next day at 11:50 AM.  I know he was working on a piece for the paper but even the paper version wasn't written as well, it too was mainly quotes.

Does what that reference anything about his questions?  No, its the direction and leadership of being the NEWS DIRECTOR.  

His linkedin quotes:

"As News Director (August 2015 - Present), I oversee the news staff at KNTU for both on-air broadcasts and the web."

As the beat rider for FC Dallas--"I am expected to meet strict deadlines, including submitting a game recap 5 minutes after a game has concluded and at least one side piece no later than 90 minutes after the game has concluded."

Not talking about the short bench, that was only there to show what he was talking about with the short bench "UNT finished 5-24 a year ago in its final season under Mike Petersen and was picked to finish last in Conference USA in the league’s preseason coaches poll." This is what I'm talking about.

all that does is provide context, especially for those who don't closely follow the program, and quite frankly makes the win against OU seem all the more impressive.

let me give you an outside example...do you closely follow European soccer? in the Premier League in England right now, Leicester City currently sit in third place, just a point behind the top two clubs, and their forward, Jamie Vardy currently leads the league in goals with 12...five more than any other player. that all sounds well and good...but then if I provide the negative context that Leicester are in only their second year in the top-division, were dead-last most of last season and nearly relegated were it not for a near-miracle run of form the last month-and-a-half of the season, and that Vardy just 5 seasons ago was playing in the eighth division of English football for a semi-pro team and moonlighting as a medical technician it kinda sounds a lot more remarkable, no?   

• Upvote 2

all that does is provide context, especially for those who don't closely follow the program, and quite frankly makes the win against OU seem all the more impressive.

let me give you an outside example...do you closely follow European soccer? in the Premier League in England right now, Leicester City currently sit in third place, just a point behind the top two clubs, and their forward, Jamie Vardy currently leads the league in goals with 12...five more than any other player. that all sounds well and good...but then if I provide the negative context that Leicester are in only their second year in the top-division, were dead-last most of last season and nearly relegated were it not for a near-miracle run of form the last month-and-a-half of the season, and that Vardy just 5 seasons ago was playing in the eighth division of English football for a semi-pro team and moonlighting as a medical technician it kinda sounds a lot more remarkable, no?   

I do follow the EPL and European Soccer. Go Toffees! Barca! Barca! Barca!

I just have a problem with the layout and why did he put it in the middle instead of the beginning like the NT Daily. * Expert opinion would be nice here.*

I'm looking at the big picture.. The layout only.  Does the quote "You can't see the forest for the trees" come to mind?

Its a great story, CP coming up along with West Ham. I wouldn't compare The Foxes to UNT... That's just a completely different story line.. I would compare The Foxes with the complete opposite of Chelsea's team.

UNT is more like Leeds United.. lol.. I wish, that would mean UNT actually has history...lol

Who's going to report the info if the DRC doesn't cover it?

Edited by Dr. Seuss

This has nothing to do with the questions.... This has all to do with the layout of the article and the timing.  If you can't understand that I'm talking about the writing style of the two/ three articles in the post and not his twitter account..

I liked how the NT Daily recapped the game and posted the same night, like how ESPN does it.  Unlike, how Vito's blog was a couple quotes, @FirefightnRick tweet and a CUSA tweet posted the next day at 11:50 AM.  I know he was working on a piece for the paper but even the paper version wasn't written as well, it too was mainly quotes.

Does what that reference anything about his questions?  No, its the direction and leadership of being the NEWS DIRECTOR.  

His linkedin quotes:

"As News Director (August 2015 - Present), I oversee the news staff at KNTU for both on-air broadcasts and the web."

As the beat rider for FC Dallas--"I am expected to meet strict deadlines, including submitting a game recap 5 minutes after a game has concluded and at least one side piece no later than 90 minutes after the game has concluded."

I've posted here twice (now 3 times).  
The first, replying to UNT90's comment, not your OP.
Then I replied to your response directly to me about his qualifications in his linked-in profile which doesn't change anything about what I was saying about WHY Sidway can write the way he does for a school newspaper.  I never said he wasn't a busy guy or he's not working hard.  I said his coverage of UNT sports is not paying any bills, so he doesn't need to worry about pissing anyone off.  So he can continue to play Jim Rome with Rick Villareal.  It's actually quite entertaining.

That's it.  My apologies for taking your thread in a different direction <points at UNT90> but HE started it!  

Now, as for which column I would rather read?  I suppose I don't really care.   I like having information from all kinds of angles, especially when regarding a topic I care about like the Mean Green, so I appreciate all of them.

And yes, I transpose "AD" for Athletic Director & Athletic Department too.

Who's going to report the info if the DRC doesn't cover it?

No one, which while in a down-state as we are, may be preferential for the person pulling the strings.   Keep writing stories about feel-good stories like Mike Banogu, and the information/access will be available.   Point out deficiencies in the AD(take it how you will), and things get tighter.

He does do it professionally outside of the NT Daily though is his point. He has a reputation to uphold as a journalist because of his other gigs with FC Dallas, WFAA, Dallas Morning News, etc. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 2

I've posted here twice (now 3 times).  The first, replying to UNT90's comment, not your OP.
Then I replied to your response directly to me about his qualifications in his linked-in profile which doesn't change anything about what I was saying about WHY Sidway can write the way he does for a school newspaper.  I never said he wasn't a busy guy or he's not working hard.  I said his coverage of UNT sports is not paying any bills, so he doesn't need to worry about pissing anyone off.  So he can continue to play Jim Rome with Rick Villareal.  It's actually quite entertaining.

That's it.  My apologies for taking your thread in a different direction <points at UNT90> but HE started it!  

Now, as for which column I would rather read?  I suppose I don't really care.   I like having information from all kinds of angles, especially when regarding a topic I care about like the Mean Green, so I appreciate all of them.

And yes, I transpose "AD" for Athletic Director & Athletic Department too.

Correct, you did.  I came in and said I think you're wrong, this "student" is more than just some 18 year old student that you're comparing him too.  He actually has some skins on the wall.  

Sidway didn't write the article and the article had no hard hitting questions. Just the simple layout,  the timing of the release  and what he expects from his writers.  I brought up his linkedin profile because of the 2 quotes that I previously mentioned.  He's using the same exceptions that FC Dallas expects from him for his writers at the Daily.  

He does do it professionally outside of the NT Daily though is his point. He has a reputation to withhold as a journalist because of his other gigs with FC Dallas, WFAA, Dallas Morning News, etc. 

Thank you. 

• Downvote 1

He does do it professionally outside of the NT Daily though is his point. He has a reputation to withhold as a journalist because of his other gigs with FC Dallas, WFAA, Dallas Morning News, etc. 

Say FC Dallas were mired in a 3-29 season like what UNT football is going through...   And say Sidway sat down with the FCD GM and just fired off all kinds of tough questions as he's doing at UNT... making him and his organization look bad.  Do you think the FCD GM would restrict his access quite a bit?

Everything is awesome-great when things are going well (FCD).  When they're not going well, discernment is critical... especially when your bills are on the line.

I mean, I don't read his stuff about the Stars (again, tops in the league... so great stuff happening!!), or his high school football updates, but there's not alot of wiggle room for hard-hitting questions on the H.S. football stage that would concern WFAA or the DMN about his reputation.

Say FC Dallas were mired in a 3-29 season like what UNT football is going through...   And say Sidway sat down with the FCD GM and just fired off all kinds of tough questions as he's doing at UNT... making him and his organization look bad.  Do you think the FCD GM would restrict his access quite a bit?

Everything is awesome-great when things are going well (FCD).  When they're not going well, discernment is critical... especially when your bills are on the line.

I mean, I don't read his stuff about the Stars (again, tops in the league... so great stuff happening!!), or his high school football updates, but there's not alot of wiggle room for hard-hitting questions on the H.S. football stage that would concern WFAA or the DMN about his reputation.

You're right, the NT Daily isn't paying his bills, that's for sure. I'm just saying he's not going to go completely rogue and can still ask some tough questions without damaging his reputation as a journalist which is what I think he has done. Vito has to step lightly for sure but I think as others have mentioned his access has probably already been restricted because he is already on RV's bad side. I don't really have a problem with Vito for the record. 

Correct, you did.  I came in and said I think you're wrong, this "student" is more than just some 18 year old student that you're comparing him too.  He actually has some skins on the wall.  

This appears to be the mis-understanding here...

Never, ever, anywhere have I insinuated that.   The FACT is his work for the NT Daily is not his profession (re: his source of income).   We could be talking about an 18-year-old Freshman, or we could be talking about Randy Galloway coming to NT for a Masters.  When you're writing for the NT Daily, you're writing for experience, not for a paycheck.  

I have no doubt, looking at the things he covers on his linked-in profile that he's a busy dude and is doing great things.  I hope he does well in his sportswriting career.

Sidway didn't write the article and the article had no hard hitting questions. Just the simple layout,  the timing of the release  and what he expects from his writers.  I brought up his linkedin profile because of the 2 quotes that I previously mentioned.  He's using the same exceptions that FC Dallas expects from him for his writers at the Daily.  

OK, again, I'm sorry I took your thread about this particular article on a tangent.  The article is great.  

Email-Frustrated-Frustration-Laptop-Stum

• Upvote 2

Vito writes his articles in traditional Associated Press format and organization, which is exactly what he should be doing.  Personally, I have never really understood the ire that some direct toward his writing just because it doesn't always gratify our Mean Green egos--which would only be appropriate if he were reporting for Meangreensports.com.  It's really pretty amazing that he is able to cover so many different sports, regularly update his blog, pump out full-length articles (including researched data and interviews with elusive coaches/players), and chase our teams all over the country to watch them in live action.  

As for Sidway, he seems to be exceeding expectations, and that's awesome.  But, I don't know how productive it is to compare the two when they really have different rhetorical situations (for the rhet/comp nerds out there).  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This appears to be the mis-understanding here...

Never, ever, anywhere have I insinuated that.   The FACT is his work for the NT Daily is not his profession (re: his source of income).   We could be talking about an 18-year-old Freshman, or we could be talking about Randy Galloway coming to NT for a Masters.  When you're writing for the NT Daily, you're writing for experience, not for a paycheck.  

I have no doubt, looking at the things he covers on his linked-in profile that he's a busy dude and is doing great things.  I hope he does well in his sportswriting career.

OK, again, I'm sorry I took your thread about this particular article on a tangent.  The article is great.  

Email-Frustrated-Frustration-Laptop-Stum

Understood!

Vito writes his articles in traditional Associated Press format and organization, which is exactly what he should be doing.  Personally, I have never really understood the ire that some direct toward his writing just because it doesn't always gratify our Mean Green egos--which would only be appropriate if he were reporting for Meangreensports.com.  It's really pretty amazing that he is able to cover so many different sports, regularly update his blog, pump out full-length articles (including researched data and interviews with elusive coaches/players), and chase our teams all over the country to watch them in live action.  

As for Sidway, he seems to be exceeding expectations, and that's awesome.  But, I don't know how productive it is to compare the two when they really have different rhetorical situations (for the rhet/comp nerds out there).  

That's all I'm talking about, the different styles.  If this is how the AP wants it, well that's how the AP will receive it.  I think having an opinion about 2 different journalistic style is more conversational and not criticizing the individual.  Yes, Vito/DRC/AP are all the same to me. Vito is the face and the person we associate the paper with. 

Vito is a writer and Sidway is an editor.  I do know that there is a major difference.  So comparing the two would not be possible.  I'm only saying that I will read Massey's next post over Vito's. 

• Downvote 2

We are just stuck with very few options when it comes to North Texas sports. We got recaps and post game stuff, but we are lacking in the analysis part. I know we suck in football, but why? 

Why is the basketball team better? Dont tell me what Benford said or a player. Tell me what on the court makes them better. 

• Downvote 1

We are just stuck with very few options when it comes to North Texas sports. We got recaps and post game stuff, but we are lacking in the analysis part. I know we suck in football, but why? 

Why is the basketball team better? Dont tell me what Benford said or a player. Tell me what on the court makes them better. 

Brett needs to keep his articles brief or people will TL;DR them.  Do you really want him to delimit the reasons why we suck?  You'd be reading for a while, and again, he'd be locked out of the Athletics Center the next day.

As for Basketball, we're better?  How do you know... based on the Jarvis & Texas College games?

Don't tell @meangreenation that

Brett needs to keep his articles brief or people will TL;DR them.  Do you really want him to delimit the reasons why we suck?  You'd be reading for a while, and again, he'd be locked out of the Athletics Center the next day.

As for Basketball, we're better?  How do you know... based on the Jarvis & Texas College games?

we are better because we have guards that can actually break down people one on one and get into the lane. Doing that gets open shots for other guys. We also have guys that can knock down open shots this year. That makes us better. 

Reese & Brown are the biggest reasons we are better. 

Ball movement is much better. Movement without the ball is better.

Don't tell @meangreenation that

What do those guys know? 

• Downvote 1

we are better because we have guards that can actually break down people one on one and get into the lane. Doing that gets open shots for other guys. We also have guys that can knock down open shots this year. That makes us better. 

You gathered all of this from the Jarvis and Texas College games.

Remember how much "better" we were last year when we put Dajon in against Nicholls?

We also lost Jordan Williams.  That makes us worse.

Let's wait to see how the guys do against D1 competition before we say they're "better".

What do those guys know? 

check them out. http://meangreennation.com/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We can't HANDLE the truth.

• Upvote 1