What type of coach should UNT hire?

Harry

What type of coach should UNT hire?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What type of coach should UNT hire?

• Get the best recruiter available. Hire assistants for x's and o's.
    • Young offensive coordinator at big FBS program.
    • Experienced head coach who wins at FCS or lower.
    • Mature offensive coordinator at big FBS program.
    • Other

I think a combo of something like Norvell and Thompsen could work wonders and cover all bases.

Norvell is a young OC with good experience running explosive offenses and can recruit.

Thompsen is an older coach who's won at lower levels and can also recruit.

I would fly to Tempe, Arizona and wouldn't leave until I had one or both coming on the plane back with me

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems to me that recruiting really isn't the HC's main job, but rather that of the assistance. The HC can be a "closer" type I suppose, so you want someone with some charisma. But I think that someone that will hire great coordinators and recruiters is what you want, along with an overall defensive and offensive philosophy that wins.

Need a younger, "guns-blazing" offensive minded coach. Footballs are being fired all over the field in high scoring offenses in high schools, in high scoring offenses in colleges, and thus will be in Denton Texas. No bus drivers, Buicks, retirees, or experiments please? (Unless you are considering Sofia Vergara, at which point I'll take the under)

GMG!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I said mature (<55) coordinator.  I think Mac was the right idea but there were serious negative signs that weren't addressed after the winning season involving recruiting.  I also believe Texas recruiting ties is a non-negotiable requirement

These things should be addressed in the interview and in RESEARCH and following up with REFERENCES who can vouch for this person's requisite skills in all areas.  

I hope you're reading this Pres. Smatresk. You need input from all of us to assist in your selection process, not just me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I want someone who's done well as a HC with "not much" or "next to nothing." Whether that means he's won at the G5 level or the FCS level, it really doesn't matter to me. Just someone who's had some coaching experience and made things happen by having a few winning seasons. I'd also prefer Texas ties, although that's not totally a deal-breaker to me if he's proven at other jobs that he can get out and get to know the HS coaches in Texas and get them talking about UNT to their kids.

If we can get a guy that does that, we'll certainly be headed in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

My criteria for a HC would be the following one who has character, management and communication abilities. 

My definitions of the criteria is below:

Character--someone who is a quality individual and his word is his bond

Management--one who can see an issue and resolve it, have a plan for the football program, i.e., know what he needs in terms of coaches, athletes, have the ability to use both offense and defense schemes that play to the strengths of his athletes, and the coaches he hires implement those schemes

Communication--be able to discuss and get across his vision to fans, coaches, athletes also behind the scenes tell his coaches to recruit various types of athletes and when necessary meet with the recruits to sign them to North Texas if the coach can not close the deal

Who that individual would be I do not know but will have to rely on the hiring officials and their supervisors.