The Mean Green Funk

KRAM1

It's probably healthy for the program to lose some of the fans who believe they are personally injured by all this mess. If your sense of purpose is so tired into a football team, that it causes you to spend money to try to injure someone, then walk away. I love UNT as much as anyone here, but I refuse to lose sleep over this program. I'll support every kid that signs up to play for my university, regardless of the coach or AD. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

In response to another posters very kind post aimed at my direction, it is no secret that I also support Okie State.  And, I am very proud of that association as well as my association with UNT.  But, those I care about and who care about me and actually know me, know that I bleed green and have done so for about 50 years now.  My wife and I have set up endowments at both of these fine universities that will provide scholarship money to worthy students long after we are both gone.  UNT is receiving the much larger share of those funds...much larger.  So, trying to knock me for also supporting Okie State is pretty lame.

As to being this year's receipient of the UNT Ulysses Knight Spirit Award, I have made it no secret that I do not feel worthy of that recognition.  There are many others who have done much more than I have and should be or should have been nominated.  So, if anyone wants to see a more worthy candidate be so honored, please nominate them beginning with next year's call for nominations.  As for me, I am humbled and proud that I was even nominated.  To be selected by a committee made up of alumni, faculty and administrators is even more humbling as I am sure there were multiple nominees.  I have served on the selection committee for the annual alumni awards and I can guarantee anyone that the nominees are each given due consideration and often are selected only after spirited debate and discussion. I am sure there were committee members who had no clue who I was when they saw that nomination.  So, telling me I am not worthy for that award is not much of a knock in my opinion as I would agree that many are more worthy.  For whatever reason, the committee chose to select me, and I am both humble and grateful, not to mention extremely honored.

I try to support things that I am proud to support and have no problems with letting people know I support them...both OSU and UNT being no exceptions.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

If your sense of purpose is so tired into a football team, that it causes you to spend money to try to injure someone, then walk away.

That's quite a melodramatic word you're using to describe our banner.

Would you say people who called for McCarney's firing were trying to injure him?

Coaches and ADs are hired to be fired. They are paid big bucks in an extremely visible part of the university -- Villarreal's $382K a year makes him one of the five highest paid employees of the school -- and this invites a high level of public scrutiny. In his 14 years at UNT he has undoubtedly seen other ADs who were the subject of a firing campaign. It shouldn't be a surprise to him that it's happening here.

RV didn't worry about McCarney's feelings when he fired him for poor job performance. We shouldn't worry either when calling for RV's job.

• Upvote 2

That's quite a melodramatic word you're using to describe our banner.

Would you say people who called for McCarney's firing were trying to injure him?

Coaches and ADs are hired to be fired. They are paid big bucks in an extremely visible part of the university -- Villarreal's $382K a year makes him one of the five highest paid employees of the school -- and this invites a high level of public scrutiny. In his 14 years at UNT he has undoubtedly seen other ADs who were the subject of a firing campaign. It shouldn't be a surprise to him that it's happening here.

RV didn't worry about McCarney's feelings when he fired him for poor job performance. We shouldn't worry either when calling for RV's job.

Some people are more worried about RV's feelings than providing a positive winning environment for the students they claim to love so much.

• Upvote 4

i think that people just care to much or put too much of their life into the school.  i went there...loved it, still do...but if the team wins or loses, it doesn't affect me...sure, i'd like for the boys to win, but it isn't he end of the world to me or changes the outlook of my day.    

i'm the apathetic fan that gives cash, enjoys the tailgating and games, but the results don't matter to me in the grand scheme of things...sun still rises, i still have beer...

I've pretty much settled into this same place.  You can only take consecutive kicks to the nuts for so long. Maybe a couple of winning season will ignite that rabid fan flame again, who knows.......

I've pretty much settled into this same place.  You can only take consecutive kicks to the nuts for so long. Maybe a couple of winning season will ignite that rabid fan flame again, who knows.......

Same.  I used to live and die with the team.  Maybe I should have higher expectations, but it honestly isn't worth the headache and blood pressure spikes.  My hat is off to guys like Silver who have kept yanking the slot machine lever for 30+ years - they are truly something special and God bless them for it.  I love the team, and wish them nothing but the best - I truly hope for better days of competitive football.  But I think there's some old line about things won't change until they do, and that's pretty much where I am at.

• Upvote 2