ESPN and SEC network make UNT the joke of college football

UNT90

As I watch the highlights of the Tennessee game on the SEC network and ESPN, the comments by the announcers tell you everything you need to know about where this program stands right now. They talk about us like we are a FCS team, or worse.

That is the perception of this program. That is "the brand" at this point.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

As I watch the highlights of the Tennessee game on the SEC network and ESPN, the comments by the announcers tell you everything you need to know about where this program stands right now. They talk about us like we are a FCS team, or worse.

I just don't understand what makes you think outsiders aren't respecting us.  

• Upvote 2

Is this the worst that this program has ever been?

Worse than 2007 or 2008 Dodge?

Man, if it's not, it has to be just as bad.

I would say yes and it's not close. I wasn't around during the Dodge years. But going off of scores of that era we at least put points on the board and were competitive against a lot of our peers. Right now, we aren't competitive vs anyone except for a nutsack. 

I will say again though, we aren't as far as some think. We can be a 6-6 team next year depending the schedule. Unless UTEP and nutsack takes strides ahead of us I will always view those 2 games as winnable. That's 2. We also have, in theory, 3 winnable games vs Bethune, SMUT, and Army. If we get a Charlotte or FAU thrown on our 2016 schedule that would count for 6 "winnable" games even for next year. Rice is proving to be what many of us thought, not very good this year. They lose a lot of players off this years team as well whereas we have our "core" of players all coming back. 

I think we are in a very manageable situation where an influx of energy and good coaching can put us in a position to get to 6 wins in 2016. 

• Upvote 5

This is a very bad team and yes we're no better than the "North Texas State armadillos". We're a laughing stock and RV put us in this position "again". Do not schedule games without an home and home period!!! Hey, I'll play Tennessee, but they have to come to Denton, even the odds! Interesting, Canales says, well, gee after looking at the Tech players we need to get bigger, where the hell has he been for the last 6 years, with his head up his ass! No way we keep him, our offense is the laughing stock, OMG find a quarterback and receivers that don't drop every ball thrown to them!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

Quotes from highlights on ESPN app:

"Tennessee against 1-8 North Texas, a good opponent for homecoming."

Another announcer says Tennessee's defense was nasty followed by another announcer saying "It's North Texas, let's be honest."

When talking about certain UT players not playing as much: "Things change when you are facing the Mean Green, gentlemen" followed by chuckles and "I would say that" "Ya"

"North Texas never got past the Tennessee 45 yard line" and I could have swore some on here were talking about "drive killing" plays. What drives?

Those that think Portland St 66 UNT 7 hasn't had a huge detrimental effect on this program are lying to themselves.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

ESPN and SEC network make UNT the joke of college football

No, that should read, North Texas athletic administration, in constant quest to grab easy cash, has made UNT the joke of college football

It is impossible to whore your team into prosperity yet we have been trying for decades.

It is the only way the current AD knows how to do business.

• Upvote 1

What comments specifically?  I watched The game and thought they were pretty fair in their assessment without being condescending.

• Upvote 4

The Vols fans were not happy with their team's play some of which was caused by our Mean Green.  It was a great defensive effort by our guys and our O moved the ball but could not threaten like they needed to.  Their morning papers wondered how the they could only beat us by 24 and only score 7 in the second half.  

Yes everyone saw the mack truck coming and the Mean Green D funneled that disrespect into a respectful showing. 

GMG

• Upvote 2

What comments specifically?  I watched The game and thought they were pretty fair in their assessment without being condescending.

Read down to a later post where I provide quotes. It's not from the broadcast, it's from highlights on ESPN and the ESPN app, which have far more viewers, unfortunately. 

I would say yes and it's not close. I wasn't around during the Dodge years.

If you weren't there to see it, the box scores don't tell the full story of the utter ineptness.  

The common quality in both cases was utter stubbornness and refusal to adapt.  

So now Todd Dodge is crushing the high school football world again in his hand picked single high school bought and paid for program.  He's 10-1 and ranked 11 in the state.

He couldn't do that at UNT, and it showed.  Boy howdy did it show.  When he couldn't buy the best talent around, his football IQ was completely incapable of coaching up.

Conversely, Mac was both stubborn and incapable (unwilling?) of recruiting.  

Put this team up against 2008 and I've got to flip a coin on who wins.

• Upvote 2

I will never be able to wrap my mind around the status qou of North Texas. The AD doesn't not seem to give a . It get is old. I don't understand why we have these discussions. We all know we have a bad AD who can't do his job, but nothing has happened in the years I have been following UNT.

At this point the BOR or the Prez have done ittle to nothing to change the attitude of the the athletic department and student body. We again have

another BOR member who has never been invested in UNT until now. It is all a joke. Harry states it quiet in the forum and we all know why. It is because

we are bad. I wonder how many alumni and students has the AD ran off from being life long fans from his lack of caring and doing his job. There are no

excuses for us to be in the situation but the BOR and AD are happy with their jobs as is, so why would they change how they run show? 

I am sick of the "next year" mantra. Just wanted to vent.... that is all. 

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 5

You guys do realize that the Guvna hand picks the BOR of the state schools, correct?  I would not be surprised to see a large percentage of new appointees to be campaign contributors.

Has anyone researched the BOR at the other state unis?  It would be interesting to know the makeup of other school BORs and how many are alumni. 

While I rarely agree with any post by UNT90, he has hit the nail on the head. This is our worse team since my freshman year of 61', we are a joke, and a few Southland Conference teams might beat us. In addition, the separation between the Power 5 conferences and Group of 5 has grown each year. In the 80's we could hold our own with some of them, but no more. Our program has always been underfunded which created the need to play money games on the road. When Darrell Dickey was here we sometimes played 3 or 4 a year. Now we are down to about 2 annually.  Our last game at Fouts was with K-State, which was poorly attended, and we have played Indiana in our new stadium [drew about 20,000+ in 30,000 seat venue]. Both games were one for ones. I don't know how other schools schedule two for one games with Power 5 schools. It appears the our preference is $1,000,000 for a one night stand. While I would like to see name schools come to Denton, it probably is hard to justify the cost because of weak attendance. The bottom line is that winning in football cures a lot of ills, which makes this coaching hire so important, regardless of who makes it.

• Upvote 3

This is a very bad team and yes we're no better than the "North Texas State armadillos". We're a laughing stock and RV put us in this position "again". Do not schedule games without an home and home period!!! Hey, I'll play Tennessee, but they have to come to Denton, even the odds! Interesting, Canales says, well, gee after looking at the Tech players we need to get bigger, where the hell has he been for the last 6 years, with his head up his ass! No way we keep him, our offense is the laughing stock, OMG find a quarterback and receivers that don't drop every ball thrown to them!!!!!!

If you weren't there to see it, the box scores don't tell the full story of the utter ineptness.  

The common quality in both cases was utter stubbornness and refusal to adapt.  

So now Todd Dodge is crushing the high school football world again in his hand picked single high school bought and paid for program.  He's 10-1 and ranked 11 in the state.

He couldn't do that at UNT, and it showed.  Boy howdy did it show.  When he couldn't buy the best talent around, his football IQ was completely incapable of coaching up.

Conversely, Mac was both stubborn and incapable (unwilling?) of recruiting.  

Put this team up against 2008 and I've got to flip a coin on who wins.

So I see a familiar refrain in this forum.  We don't have the players and the coaching regimes that failed to recruit.  I saw someone comment about our "brand" image.   Be honest and ask yourself this, if you were a recruit with more than 1 FBS offer would you come here?  I can barely like schools in the region that a recruit would choose UNT over.   Let take a quick look at the regional programs that are about on UNT's level and their OOC home game till 2025

Texas State - [Home and Home with SMU, Baylor & Houston}

UTEP - [Home and Home with Tech Tech & Boise State]

Rice - [Stanford, Baylor & Texas A&M all in Houston plus Northwestern in 2026]

UTSA - [I would list but it would just make you furious]

UNT - [Army and SMU the rest don't merit even mentioning]

I don't think most recruits get excited about playing a service academy.  That is why UNT need a head coach that is a brand in his own right.  Recruits aren't coming here for the UNT brand or the conference we in or the out of conference that we currently have slated.   I a big time coach would welcome a big time challenge.  But what the hell do I know I always get "yelled" at for suggesting that UNT needs a Spurrier, Mack Brown, or Chip Kelly type.  With even the best up and coming coach this team is 3 years away from a decent bowl game.  Because most likely they won't be able to recruit that well.  They will get some players but will have to work very hard just to steal a few from Texas State, UTSA, UTEP and SMU.

• Upvote 1

UTSA is the only game in town. San Antonio is 3rd largest city in Texas. It is easy to see why Power 5 schools would want to play there for recruiting purposes vs. Denton. Granted we are 30 miles from DFW, but it's not the same. To me the best school for us to compare our scheduling with is Texas State.This is just my observation. Since I don't know their athletic budget or alumni level of giving I can't express an informed opinion as to why they can and we can't. I would think they would be trading dollars, as what you would pay them to come to San Marcus is probably what they pay you to come to their house.