ODU adds East Carolina to 2018, 2019 football schedules

Harry

Old Dominion added a familiar name to its football schedule Wednesday, announcing a home-and-home series with East Carolina in 2018 and 2019.

The Monarchs will travel to Greenville, N.C., on Sept. 29, 2018, then host the Pirates on Sept. 28, 2019, ODU athletic director Wood Selig said.

ECU is the fifth of six regional Football Bowl Subdivision schools the Monarchs have sought to add to their schedule since announcing three years ago they were moving up to FBS.

ODU also has home-and-home agreements with Virginia Tech, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Wake Forest. ODU hopes to add at least two games with the University of Virginia. Otherwise, the Monarchs are done with scheduling big-name opponents in the foreseeable future.

“These are teams we all know, that we all follow, that we all respect for their success and accomplishments and we know our fans want to see us play,” Selig said.

“We’re still working with Virginia. It remains a goal of ours to play Virginia. That is another game that would resonate well with our fan base and our community.”

read more:  http://www.pilotonline.com/sports/odu-adds-east-carolina-to-football-schedules/article_9b334811-0782-5f6b-8245-008da6f845eb.html

Stories like this illustrate that RV is either the worst scheduler in the FBS or he isn't even making an attempt.

If an FCS move-up can schedule opponents that size within its region, UNT should be able to get an opponent each year in Apogee on par with them from Texas and surrounding states -- and occasionally one from further away, like how UTSA has gotten Arizona State to come next year.

Every big program in the country wants to recruit in Texas. UNT has no history of being a giant killer. We should be getting more home-and-home offers than we can accept.

Stories like this illustrate that RV is either the worst scheduler in the FBS or he isn't even making an attempt.

If an FCS move-up can schedule opponents that size within its region, UNT should be able to get an opponent each year in Apogee on par with them from Texas and surrounding states -- and occasionally one from further away, like how UTSA has gotten Arizona State to come next year.

Every big program in the country wants to recruit in Texas. UNT has no history of being a giant killer. We should be getting more home-and-home offers than we can accept.

This is like scheduling a home/home with Houston... which we recently did.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Recent, as in none of the recruits were even in high school when it happened? 

OK...?   Let's try this:   UNT-SMU.   C-USA-AAC home/home series.  Better?    

I was simply trying to point out that this is a simple 1-1 series against an in-state G5 team.  Something we've done, contrary to rcade's point.  It's not something to fret over.  

For real, RV-hating-folks.   You all need to get something straight.   The evidence for RV's failure is like a gigantic bonfire.  It's humongous & it's raging.  
We all understand it (except a small sample of wealthy donors).   That raging fire does not need every single thing you can find thrown on top of it, especially senseless things that aren't flammable.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2010 & 2011.  it's already happened is what I'm saying.

I said it should be happening every year, and you countered with the fact it has happened once with Houston on our stadium opener.

Here in Florida UCF got Texas as its stadium opener.

Compare our future schedules at my link to those of UTSA, UTEP and Rice. We're by far the worst at scheduling among our Texas conference rivals. They're all getting schools with some juice to visit. We're getting a series of schools whose names are followed with "Who?".

• Upvote 1

I said it should be happening every year, and you countered with the fact it has happened once with Houston on our stadium opener.

Here in Florida UCF got Texas as its stadium opener.

Compare our future schedules at my link to those of UTSA, UTEP and Rice. We're by far the worst at scheduling among our Texas conference rivals. They're all getting schools with some juice to visit. We're getting a series of schools whose names are followed with "Who?".

UNT-SMU.  Every year for the next 8 years.   Better?

You know what?   UCF did a great job of getting Texas to play at their stadium opener.   This is better ammo for the actual agenda at hand than pointing out some random home/home series a CUSA team signed with an AAC team.   Can you catch my drift?

As for those other schools' schedules, I don't care, but let's play:   
I hope UTEPs fans enjoy their 5-game home slate with Arizona in 2017.  I know here at UNT our Athletic Director would get grilled for that.  Maybe theirs will too?  
*Gasp!* they played virtually the same schedule we did this year, and in order to balance out the schedule with 6 home games next year, look who they're bringing in.  Is it really such a better schedule?
Rice has fantastic schedules lined up.  They have history with several of those schools from the old SWC days.  Something NT doesn't have.
UTSA must be using witchcraft to line up that slate... RV must bow down to What'sherface...  Although, 2017 is not looking too promising as they already have an FCS team lined up, but they still have an opening.  Going to need to pull a rabbit out of a hat there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know what?   UCF did a great job of getting Texas to play at their stadium opener.   This is better ammo for the actual agenda at hand than pointing out some random home/home series a CUSA team signed with an AAC team.   Can you catch my drift?

As for those other schools' schedules, I don't care, but let's play:   
I hope UTEPs fans enjoy their 5-game home slate with Arizona in 2017.  I know here at UNT our Athletic Director would get grilled for that.  Maybe theirs will too?  
*Gasp!* they played virtually the same schedule we did this year, and in order to balance out the schedule with 6 home games next year, look who they're bringing in.  Is it really such a better schedule?
Rice has fantastic schedules lined up.  They have history with several of those schools from the old SWC days.  Something NT doesn't have.
UTSA must be using witchcraft to line up that slate... RV must bow down to What'sherface...  Although, 2017 is not looking too promising as they already have an FCS team lined up, but they still have an opening.  Going to need to pull a rabbit out of a hat there.

It's okay, we all know you have low standards. The so-called haters have every right to demand accountability. An OOC slate of Army, SMU and a weird array of road P5 games and terrible FCS teams would not fly at most FBS schools.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

MeanGreenTexan:

Really? Or is that just a rumor based on a potential series which has been discussed between the two schools?

Please enlighten us if you have information regarding contracted games because the last game that I am aware of is for SMU to play at North Texas is September 3 2016 and anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Really? Or is that just a rumor based on a potential series which has been discussed between the two schools?

Please enlighten us if you have information regarding contracted games because the last game that I am aware of is for SMU to play at North Texas is September 3 2016 and anything beyond that is pure speculation.

You're right.   1 more year under contract.   Then after that, as part of the same contract, both teams are to engage in good faith talks to extend the series for another 7 years.

I am in no way suggesting that the extension will not happen, and I hope it does as it seems as if the series will be mutually beneficial to both schools.

What I'd like to see is ALL future whore games and ALL future 1AA games get cancelled and replaced by home-and-home with Texas State, NMSU, Arkansas St, Louisiana, or any regional AAC, Big 12, or MWC schools. The days churning the schedules to accommodate whored games need to end because the process is killing our program.

• 3 weeks later...