What do y'all think about dino babers???

TheReal_jayD

Looks like a viable candidate. 15-8 at Bowling Green,  7-2 including wins over Purdue and Maryland this year. 4 years at Baylor under Art Briles and 2 working with Sumlin at A&M during Slocum era. 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/189

http://bgsufalcons.com/coaches.aspx?rc=526

I hope he has his people contact our search committee.

• Upvote 1

Tom Fornelli at CBS Sports is touting Dino Babers as the best candidate for the Miami job.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25356638/dino-babers-is-the-kind-of-different-that-miami-hurricanes-need

Babers runs the same offense you see at Baylor. He learned it while working under Art Briles from 2008-11, before he left to become the head coach at Eastern Illinois. While at EIU, he helped turn Jimmy Garoppolo into a second round draft pick and the heir apparent to Tom Brady in New England.

He also went 12-2 in his second season, leading the Panthers to the FCS quarterfinals.

Babers then left for Bowling Green; in his second season, the Falcons are 6-2 while averaging 595.3 yards and 43.9 points per game. The only two losses BG has suffered this year were to Tennessee and a three-point defeat at the hands of Fuente's Tigers.

I have absolutely no doubt that, if Babers brought his offense to Miami, the Hurricanes would light up scoreboards. They'd also find plenty of local talent that would fit perfectly in that offense.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

He certainly looks the part of a top contender.  Head coaching seems solid.  Stints as a recruiting coordinator (including Baylor; so he has recruited in Texas).  He does have the #3 offense in the country but he also has the #97 defense (hope that he can improve on that).  It only took him two years at his last two HC stops, Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, to get the program going well.  I like his age...mature but still young enough for innovations and enthusiasm.  

Since we're not privy to interview answers, I don't know who my top choice would be but Babers would definitely be in my top 5, maybe top 3.  I would definitely be happy if we could get him but if he's as good as he appears he should be gone in three years.

• Upvote 1

He certainly looks the part of a top contender.  Head coaching seems solid.  Stints as a recruiting coordinator (including Baylor; so he has recruited in Texas).  He does have the #3 offense in the country but he also has the #97 defense (hope that he can improve on that).  It only took him two years at his last two HC stops, Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, to get the program going well.  I like his age...mature but still young enough for innovations and enthusiasm.  

Since we're not privy to interview answers, I don't know who my top choice would be but Babers would definitely be in my top 5, maybe top 3.  I would definitely be happy if we could get him but if he's as good as he appears he should be gone in three years.

Yes to Babers. He should be in the top 3 list of candidates.

I'm all for him coming here, succeeding, and him moving on to greener pastures. That means he did a helluva job where a P5 school stole him away. That's what we want in a candidate, someone who's going to use NT as a stepping stone. 

Vito would love this guy. He does interviews and press conferences without relying on all the old coaching cliches.

Babers has possibly surpassed Fritz at the top of my football wish list.

Discusses coaching searches at 6:00 mark. (not commenting)

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Head coach of the number 3 offense in the country!! Texas ties was a assistant at baylor? Won at both head coaching stops. Still young at just 51. And best part e is just making $400,000. Explosive offense and head coaching experience. His name may have been mentioned but I think he should be a option

Wont happen.. UNT wont be getting a current head coach.  Even if our base is going to be 1 mil, he'll have bigger jobs opening up for him

Wont happen.. UNT wont be getting a current head coach.  Even if our base is going to be 1 mil, he'll have bigger jobs opening up for him

agree. Why make a lateral move (at best,) and then damage your brand by struggling here?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think he will have higher suitors. It would be a backwards step from Bowling Green. Maryland, Minnesota or someone North of us will give him a call.

Well, in all of our coach-discussion threads there is always one thought that keeps rolling through my mind:

I never got something I didn't ask for.

You can plug anything into the "something" space that is appropriate to the situation.

I'm not advocating don't ask sorry if it seemed that way. If you think he'd fit here and, win sure gauge his interest. Now in my unprofessional opinion Id think he'd turn us down. Probably bc he'd be afraid his name might get leaked during the interview process. 

True. Let's ask, being as covert as possible, and move on to the next coach on the list. It is conceivable we'll get three or four "maybe" responses and then we have something to work with.  If we receive zero interest then we damn sure better look in the mirror. Who is doing the asking? What are we offering? Why did they have no interest?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly

Edited by EagleMBA
add text

I like Babers. I think a lot of us would like to have him here. I seriously don't think he has any interest in coming here though. It wouldn't even be a lateral move, he would be downgrading. Why leave Bowling Green where you have established your staff, your system, your players, your recruiting, your development for a dumpster fire looking to rebuild from the ground up? Unless he just really wants to work his ass off to get results for double the pay I don't think he's coming.

• Downvote 1