Lincoln Riley denies being a candidate for North Texas job

Harry

My take on it is that it's a ploy to get an extension at OU and/or a restructured contract. 

OR, it could be that during the course of the interview RV actually told him what he would really be getting himself into here at NT. And after a day of thinking about it, and a few well placed phone calls to peers,  he had a "WTF?" moment. Hence the "hell no I'm not a candidate" statement.

So unless we have a major commitment from the administration to change our athletic culture for the better, I still say that unless RV is totally honest with a candidate we are going to end up with a 900K + coach here going "what the hell is wrong with you people?" after only two or three years.

Think about it. Lincoln Riley has never played or worked in a football environment, including his HS, that is anything less that full blown football centered. Has he ever had to work in an environment where he had to struggle for anything? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Ping Ping Ping.

Either he never was interested and wanted to get a raise, or he just wants to get the OU fans off his back right now.

Have you guys ever followed college football before?  This is what happens all the time.  Some coach stands there and says he would never leave X, he loves X, hell, he named his first kid X... and then 72 hours later he is standing in front of another podium wearing a different colored tie talking about how much he loves Y, how he plans to retire at Y, how he sees now Y has always been perfect for him and his family...   or X throws a ton of money at him and he gets angry anyone even brings up those false rumors he had even talked to Y.

Frankly, I think it's a good thing.  We've dipped our toe into the big boy water.   What we've done since our return to 1A is hire someone who the average fan and media members first rection is "'Who?!"

I understand your point of view and it makes sense, but to say this incident is a good thing is being a little too naive. Yes, we were mentioned in the same breath as the big boys, but him saying "I'm absolutely not a candidate" isn't exactly a glowing review of North Texas. 

Okay, call me naive but the unwashed public doesn't know where either the interview happened and if that is a sincere response that Riley voiced.  Neither do I for certain.  I do understand how the game is played but that doesn't mean that I like it.  To the casual fan the statement has a connotation of "nobody (of significance) wants to coach here."  Things have been bad enough that we don't need more negative image.

For proof, a couple of posters to this thread do believe that he is not interested and that his name should be removed from consideration.  Who knows?  They may be right.

It is my understanding that if we want to talk to a candidate then we must get permission from the university where he is employed.  However, I don't think that applies if he initiates the job interview.  I just hope that whoever leaked the interview didn't violate his trust, which in turn could negate a chance to get the best candidate.

Edited by GrayEagle
word insert
  • Upvote 2

My take on it is that it's a ploy to get an extension at OU and/or a restructured contract. 

OR, it could be that during the course of the interview RV actually told him what he would really be getting himself into here at NT. And after a day of thinking about it, and a few well placed phone calls to peers,  he had a "WTF?" moment. Hence the "hell no I'm not a candidate" statement.

So unless we have a major commitment from the administration to change our athletic culture for the better, I still say that unless RV is totally honest with a candidate we are going to end up with a 900K + coach here going "what the hell is wrong with you people?" after only two or three years.

Think about it. Lincoln Riley has never played or worked in a football environment, including his HS, that is anything less that full blown football centered. Has he ever had to work in an environment where he had to struggle for anything? 

You mean, Lincoln Riley is a member of the "P5 Privileged"?  Say it isn't so!

Guys, again, these people sign non-disclosures during the interview process.  Therefore, he is likely prohibited from saying he's a candidate until after some certain point.  My guess is, that certain point in the non-disclosure is the end of Oklahoma's regular season.

And, here, is why we need OU to lose a lot in November:  If they are in the CFP or a major bowl game, Riley likely stays on through that...and, gets further behind recruiting here.

OU's not getting in the CFP.  If Baylor & TCU were both left out last year with one loss, OU will be left out too.   If only 1-loss, they should still get a nice bowl.
I would think he would take off before the bowl game to get started here.

• Upvote 1

OU's not getting in the CFP.  If Baylor & TCU were both left out last year with one loss, OU will be left out too.   If only 1-loss, they should still get a nice bowl.I would think he would take off before the bowl game to get started here.

If OU wins out they have an outside shot at getting in because their name is Oklahoma and not Baylor or TCU.  Big difference.

• Upvote 4

Last thing, no one who is high value is going to sign that contract now.  If OU wins out Riley is getting P5 attention.  Same thing with any desirable coach, they aren't going to sign now.  The only coaches who would sign now are those without jobs.

So, what does Chico being willing to sign on the bottom line right now tell you?

The rest of the post was spot on, even if it does disrupt my evil plot to turn everything into a negative narrative on RV... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The dude outright said he is not a candidate for the UNT job. You don't come out with a statement that strong unless it's true. He could have said, "I know my name has been mentioned for the UNT job but I want everyone to know I am focusing all my attention on preparing the OU offense for our next opponent". Something like that would still leave him room to take the UNT job later. This isn't posturing, this is him communicating that he is not going to be our next coach. And I don't think LR is the kind of guy who would say one thing then turn around and do another. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Look it's obvious that his agent or whomever leaked this to see what OU would offer, I pray our donors or whomever have decided to make an offer that is very substantial. Even if he failed here, he could take the money and get a job at a P5. 

Edited by midlane
  • Upvote 2